Realism about upgrades

Pettifogger

DH and I have completed 12 cruises with HAL and have been upgraded twice. Our travel agency has HAL as a "preferred partner." We have sailed in a variety of cabins and select for location. My TA asks if I want to be upgraded if offered, and I generally say no.

After every cruise I have always sent a letter to HAL about what we liked and didn't like about the cruise. I am very honest, and always try to mention names if possible. Two months before our Black Sea cruise on the Rotterdam, for which we had booked a CAT. A 9 months early, I got an email from HAL that they had upgraded us to a Deluxe Verandah with their compliments...a $6000 upgrade.... to thank me for my letters. :) It was a well located stateroom, and needless to say we were overjoyed! My TA didn't know anything about it. Of course we are forever spoiled and if we never got another upgrade, that's ok.

I do think, as Laffinvegas.....Lisa....said, it comes down to supply and demand. We were offered an upsell from a VF to an SS on our recent Noordam Western Med cruise. We said no....good thing, as we missed embarkation due to airline problems, caught up with the ship on the 2nd day by taking the train from Rome to Livorno. Our luggage came 4 days later. HAL was absolutely wonderful to us during this ordeal....and they did get a thank you from me!

Karen

But first thing they look at is Your Mariner Status. Medallion Holders are definitely looked at first, then the frequency that you have cruised with HAL in the past 2 to 3 years, then the price you paid for the cabin to begin with.

Then what am I doing wrong? :confused: I have 413 days sailed on HAL, with another 51 booked. I've been taking 2-4 cruises per year for the last few years, and they are longer cruises, too. I rarely get much of a discount.

I also rarely get an upgrade. :rolleyes: You can count them on the fingers of one hand, and still have fingers not used! :(

Then what am I doing wrong? :confused: I have 413 days sailed on HAL, with another 51 booked. I've been taking 2-4 cruises per year for the last few years, and they are longer cruises, too. I rarely get much of a discount.

I also rarely get an upgrade. :rolleyes: You can count them on the fingers of one hand, and still have fingers not used! :(

I thought of you, RuthC, when I read that, also wondering how "mariner days" never seemed to help you any!

Upsales...upgrades...it is all a mystery to me!! Love reading all these comments!!

We have been upgraded on our last 2 cruises that were booked as guarantees. We book guarantees thru HAL and love the person we work with. When it comes right down to it...we are just so blessed to be able to book a room on the "dam" ship...we have no reason to complain except that I wish I was cruising right now!! Will be soon..can't wait. :D

Ruth, if I were in charge of upgrade fairies, you'd be sure to get upgraded to whatever you wanted.

Thanks. I'm really quite content with my cabin of choice, but a window directly across the passageway would be nice once in a while.

Yeah I highly doubt whether being a medal holder helps. I think I got more "good" upgrades before my 100 day medal.

Ruth, you deserve an upgrade:).....of all the CC posters, I would love to meet you! You always know exactly what to post, and do it with grace and style!

Karen

Ditto! :D

Thank you (she blushes descretely :o). What a nice thing to read.

The majority of cruises are 7 day sails and therfore it's probably fair to say that upgrades are more likely on a 7 day cruise as opposed to some of the very special cruises you have taken.

Upgrades function for the convenience of the cruise line, any cruise line.

Passengers get upgrades because the cruise line needs a cabin in your cabin grade and has another cabin in a higher grade available. If they do not need your cabin, it's unlikely you will get an upgrade, even if a higher grade cabin is available. This is when they are likely to upsell you to that cabin at a reduced rate.

A meaning ful upgrade is from an inside to outside, outside to a balacony, a balcony to a suite and once in a blue moon from a deluxe suite to a PH. Most upgrades are rather superficial, in comparison.

The cabin that you originally bok has a lot to do with you getting an upgrade.

We have never been upgraded from a suite and do not expect to be in the future. We have been upgraded from a "B" cabin to an "A" cabin one time in all our cruising.

When you book an inside cabin there is a lot more leeway for upgrading. According to our TA the top and bottom cabins are the first to sell out.

We have seen people upgraded from verandah's to suites but that is really the exception rather than the rule.

We don't get irritated but other fortunes as it is good PR for the line to upgrade people when they can.

We just enjoy the cabin and the cruise.

Hope this gives you a little better insight.

Ruth & Jim

I held 10 inside gty's this week. Deposited one of the cabins so far. Within 2 days of holding the cabins.......all received upgrades. Now, here's the odd part.

The deposited cabin - belongs to Mariner members with over 500 nights on HAL. They got the worst assignment.......and they actually deposited. The other cabins....a mix of Mariners and newbies.......all received better cabin assignments and have yet to pay their deposits.

All paying the same rate.................................

So if you think there is someone actually watching.............they are not.

I held 10 inside gty's this week. Deposited one of the cabins so far. Within 2 days of holding the cabins.......all received upgrades. Now, here's the odd part.

The deposited cabin - belongs to Mariner members with over 500 nights on HAL. They got the worst assignment.......and they actually deposited. The other cabins....a mix of Mariners and newbies.......all received better cabin assignments and have yet to pay their deposits.

All paying the same rate.................................

So if you think there is someone actually watching.............they are not.

No, ... now that is Polar On line computer that they use doing that. That often happens when booking the Inside MM or categories close to that. But that is not to say that that much closer to sailing that the cabins numbers may change again or Upgrade offers will come in. I believe that the majority that are writing about their upgrade experinces are talking about going from a HH Guarantee, or a VF Guarantee or a SZ Guarantee within a few weeks of sailing that is when I believe that a human starts to actually look at the booking :)

Don't know if this has anything to do with our receiving an upgrade, but for our most recent cruise I booked a guaranteed F category on the Eurodam. My rationale was that there were very few F category cabins and I wondered if I might have a better chance for an upgrade for that reason (we have never received an upgrade on our previous HAL cruises). Our cabin status remained "unassigned" right through the time I printed our online check-in documents. When we arrived at the ship we learned that we were upgraded to a verandah suite.

On our last cruise on the Noordam we book about the time final payment was due and got a very nice upgrade. We always get an upgrade when we book "guarantee" and never book way ahead of time. Just lucky I guess. BUT we never really expect one, just cross our fingers (and toes). Right now I would take any room on any HAL ship!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

We had a guy who dropped in here maybe three years ago, really Really p.o.'d with HAL about his cabin (pretty much under the anchor and next to the outhouse).

He was extraordinarily irate because HAL didn't give him an upgrade, which he expected.

A board member finally said something like, "You cheapskate. You booked the worst cabin in the ship and that's what you got. What's the problem? If you wanted a better cabin, then you should have booked it. It's not HAL's fault; it's yours. Now shut up and go away."

LOL. I think that is basically what I'm getting, but don't expect more, lol. i debated whether just to get a better cabin, but I want to spend my money on excursiions, not a bed I dont plan to be in that much. Besides it is RIGHT by the entertainment venue, lol.

Ruth, if I were in charge of upgrade fairies, you'd be sure to get upgraded to whatever you wanted.

I agree with Esther here! I would be Ruth's upgrade fairly ANY time! :D

I have no idea how the upgrade process works! I really don't care! I am happy with what ever we pay for. It sure is a nice perk when it happens however!:)

We have been upgraded every HAL cruise to some extent. But we always take guar. cabins. The best upgrade was two inside cabins to two VC cabins! Nice job HAL! On our last HAL cruise we were upgraded 3 HH cabins to 3 VB cabins on the Westerdam to Alaska! :D Two cabins were Mariners, one cabin was newbies. Go figure!

A group of us are planning a Celebrity Cruise in October. We are going to try guar. cabins with X this cruise! We will see what happens! We have sailed X three times previously and always choose our cabin at booking, so this will be something new for us!;)

But you know.... I will be onboard and be a happy sailor, just to be sailing!:p

Archived