Internet

farnhamville

Is there free internet in the penthouse suites? Just wondering; we are bringing our own laptop and booked a penthouse on the 10/01/10 Insignia. Oceania needs to offer some perks like Regent if they want to fill their ships in 2010. We are Regent cruisers and sailed once on Oceania. Thought the Oceania food was better! Would them to offer free shore excursions like Regent. At least the tipping is now included. J & J

I was recently on Regatta (July 13-25). You can access the internet wirelessly in your room or in all public areas of the ship. Note that I was advised that reception in my room might not be great (it is a ship, which means metal walls all around you) but in fact I always had very good reception in my room (had a balcony, so that probably helped some).

The speed is exceptionally slow and the cost is high. With no package you pay $0.95/minute. They have packages available as follows:

100 minutes for $80 with extra minutes costing $0.80/minute

200 minutes for $140 with extra minutes costing $0.70/minute

500 minutes for $300 with extra minutes costing $0.60/minute

800 minutes for $400 with extra minutes costing $0.50/minute

1,200 minutes for $540 with extra minutes costing $0.50/minute

The first few days they actually gave you 20% in additional minutes free if you purchased a package.

Warning!!! If you do use the internet, make sure to log off exactly as Oceania instructs you to. Simply closing your web browser won't log you off and you could get a nasty surprise if you forget to log off properly.

Oceania needs to offer some perks like Regent if they want to fill their ships in 2010. We are Regent cruisers and sailed once on Oceania. Thought the Oceania food was better! Would them to offer free shore excursions like Regent. At least the tipping is now included. J & J

But then you would be paying Regent prices.:D

With the economy in the dumper this is the first time I believe they have had trouble filling the ships.

Usually they booked up within the first week of offerings on certain cruises.

Lyn

Those are crazy prices for internet use....anyone know why it is not included? What other lines of Oceania's caliber still charge?

In my opinion, there are no other lines of Oceania's caliber. There are more luxurious and expensive lines -- Regent Seven Seas, Crystal, SilverSeas, Seaborne -- and less luxurious, mega-ship lines, but nothing else like Oceania. Azamara is a close wannabe.

I've been on Oceania and Azamara, and unless Oceania lowered their prices in the past 12 months, the Azamara internet pricing is much cheaper. In addition, the speed on Azamara was much better than Oceania's.

The internet is awful, honestly I wouldn't even bother with it unless you absolutely have to. My husband wasted five minutes trying to load gmail and then the page timed out. The internet manager refused to remove the charges. It was just a little issue, but very disappointing.

The internet is awful, honestly I wouldn't even bother with it unless you absolutely have to. My husband wasted five minutes trying to load gmail and then the page timed out. The internet manager refused to remove the charges. It was just a little issue, but very disappointing.

Well, the timing out also happened to me and when the Internet Manager said, sorry after almost ten minutes of trying. So did I. I spoke to the Concierge and there was no problem refunding those minutes. It is a joke, but a necessary evil when you have to stay in touch at home. I have asked this before and hopefully stanandjim can help along with others. Is it cheaper to use the Iphone for email onboard and which plan will afford the best minutes when checking in maybe every other day?:)

Well, the timing out also happened to me and when the Internet Manager said, sorry after almost ten minutes of trying. So did I. I spoke to the Concierge and there was no problem refunding those minutes. It is a joke, but a necessary evil when you have to stay in touch at home. I have asked this before and hopefully stanandjim can help along with others. Is it cheaper to use the Iphone for email onboard and which plan will afford the best minutes when checking in maybe every other day?:)

Not sure about Iphone, but the Blackberry (if enabled internationally, $50 for my spouse's plan for one month) was great for sending and receiving email in our cabin at every port we visited on both of our recent Mediterranean trips.

Not sure about Iphone, but the Blackberry (if enabled internationally, $50 for my spouse's plan for one month) was great for sending and receiving email in our cabin at every port we visited on both of our recent Mediterranean trips.

Thanks Pam. I have heard horror stories on 5K AT&T fees :eek: which would be my next cruise. I know there are CC'ers out there that use their IPHone. Just wondered which plan they get. AT&T can be over the top. :)

Truly, could Oceania rethink these internet charges? We HAVE to keep in touch for several reasons while we are away and it is burdensome when we look at what Oceania charges for their reportedly awful speed and access.

What does it cost the cruise line to provide their pax with ad lib gratis internet? What's the return for satisfied customers?

Truly, could Oceania rethink these internet charges? We HAVE to keep in touch for several reasons while we are away and it is burdensome when we look at what Oceania charges for their reportedly awful speed and access.

What does it cost the cruise line to provide their pax with ad lib gratis internet? What's the return for satisfied customers?

Hello! Free drinks, free internet, how about a free spa treatment and free booze while we're at it?

Oh, wait, they're trying to run a business!

Vaitape,

Even the ultra deluxe cruise lines with per diems which are four and five times what Oceanias' is, do not provide such a service, and there is a good reason for that.

It's not a question of not wanting to please the customer, or even of the cruise line not wanting to bear the cost. The problem is that sufficient bandwidth is not available. At least, not for so mobile a platform as a ship.

141448648_0fd1e281a0.jpg

At sea, of course, the lowliest garbage scows' navigational equipment gets higher priority on the Satellite than any cruise ships internet antenna.

The internet fees are as much an effort to control demand as they are a profit center.

Yet, there was a gentleman on our last cruise who spent a small fortune researching and ENDLESSLY revamping his fantasy football picks online........

It's one thing to run a business, it's another thing to gouge your customers! O's internet charges are excessively high, especially considering how slow the speed is. I have to keep in touch with my business while on vacation, so internet access is a necessity for me, not an option.

Thank you StanandJim for taking the time to reply and for the info regarding bandwidth, etc.

Not sure RSSC is ultra-deluxe but we have internet service and an hour of telephone service gratis when we cruise with them. I expect the next comment will be "then cruise with RSSC". We will when their itineraries and our calendar match.

Oceania's itineraries are awesome in 2010 and we've booked several cruises. We're anticipating great food and service....and paying eye-catching internet fees. Good to know up front what we can expect to pay while keeping in touch with home.

Not sure I see the connection between internet service queries and free spa treatments but never mind......

Not sure RSSC is ultra-deluxe but we have internet service and an hour of telephone service gratis when we cruise with them.

You are paying for that as well as free booze sodas etc. but it is hidden in the base price of the cruise price

Lyn

Lyn, well, through my rose colored glasses, I see those charges not hidden but rather included in RSSC's base price, along with prepaid gratuities, soft and adult beverages, self-serve laundry, and for 2009 and 2010, excursions.

Please believe me, I'm not here to argue one line against the other.....I think Oceania's internet charges are eye-catching, if not breath-taking.... StanandJim stated that even the ultra deluxe lines do not offer free internet. I stated that RSSC does though not certain that RSSC is considered ultra deluxe. My question was how much does it cost (in monetary terms of course but also for increased customer satisfaction) a cruise line to include internet or at least offer competitive rates.

I say again, we are excited about our upcoming cruises on Oceania. We're not excited about the cost of keeping in touch with our family while we're on board.

Lyn, well, through my rose colored glasses, I see those charges not hidden but rather included in RSSC's base price, along with prepaid gratuities, soft and adult beverages, self-serve laundry, and for 2009 and 2010, excursions.

Please believe me, I'm not here to argue one line against the other.....I think Oceania's internet charges are eye-catching, if not breath-taking..

I agree the internet fees are breathtaking but as I have only sailed with O in the Caribbean with my laptop I found the speed was almost as good as my cable connection at home.

We will find out next year how they are in Europe though i do not think I will even try in the fjords;)

Lyn

Archived