Question for M Class Fans

CRUZERJON

We've done several cruises on both Century and M Class ships with the M Class being our favorite.

Love the size and spaciousness of thes ships as well as the specialty

restaurant and Aqua Spa Cafe. For us we would never have wanted a larger ship.

So here's the dilemma: Now we have the Soltice class whiich appear to be

spectacular.

Can an M class lover find happiness on this class or will we be overwhelmed by the number of passengers and the shear size of the vessel?

I know the only way to find out is to try it, but we're looking at a rather pricey cruise in a RS.

Thanks in advance from any of you that have cruised both.

Jon

Jon,

I haven't cruised both...yet...

But, after several cruises on the M-class, I've got the Eclipse booked for next July...

Of course, I am not going into this completely blind...I've been on larger Royal Caribbean ships--at 138,000 and 160,000 gross tons...both with far more passengers on board...and still found them quite comfortable...I can only imagine that the Solstice class will be better than those in terms of spaciousness...So, I do not fear it at all...

Heck, I remember when I first cruised on a 70,000 gross ton ship and though "Isn't this going to be too big?"...

If it's done right, it works...and I trust Celebrity to do it right...

BTW, we've only booked an "ordinary" Category 1C...I know I will like it just fine...

I've cruised both the M-Class and the S-Class (Solstice) ships, and surprisingly, Solstice never felt crowded at all. The public rooms are very spacious and well designed. Yes, there were some things that I like better on M-Class ships. M-Class ships have better designed cabins, as far as space and storage, but overall the beauty and decor of Solstice out-weighs any negatives ten fold.

We have done all of the Century and Millenium Class ships and loved them. We did, however, fall in love with the Solstice. it never seemed to large and never seemed crowded. We have the Equinox booked for the 18th of August.

Try it, I think you will like it !!!

We have done all of the Century and Millenium Class ships and loved them. We did, however, fall in love with the Solstice. it never seemed to large and never seemed crowded. We have the Equinox booked for the 18th of August.

Try it, I think you will like it !!!

Thanks for the replies. I knew that after lurking on these boards for the past couple of years that I could count on you CC'ers !

We just booked the Equinox TA for Nov 2010 for our special cruise. Seems a long way off but will be trying Azamara in January.

Again, thanks for the help. You guys are the best !

Jon

Might be late to respond, but I too have been on the C's, M's & last May Solstice. I agree with everyone else..... Solstice never felt cramped. The open spaces where always just that - Open, even at the Buffet.

Enjoy !

Ziggy

Have four M class cruise under our belt, all Constellation. One Century cruise.

One Solstice cruise this past February. Loved the Connie, love the Solstice.

Never felt crowded, also loved the extra dining options. We're booked on a 10 day on the Connie early Nov and I'm wishing we had the other dining options.

Never having had one of the great aft balconies on the M class, I was thrilled (and naive) when I scored an aft balcony on our Solstice cruise. Although I loved the different view while cruising, the balconies are regular sized.

What I did not like and grew quickly tired of was the very long walk from the aft cabins to the elevator as there is no "aft" elevators on the Solstice class.

One might say, "Well, the exercise is good, etc" but if you head up to the pool and realize you left your sunglasses in the cabin.........well, that grows old quick!!

It's funny but my problem is exactly the opposite. I cruised on Solstice last June and I'm booked at Millenium for next February and still feel somehow aprehensive about having less space to explore and use in a smaller ship. Solstice is beautiful, never felt crowded and all its public areas are amazing.

I have done a total of five cruises on the M class ships in Europe, Alaska, and the Caribean and I love those ships. I liked them better with the dark blue hulls that reminded me of the old transatlantic liners. The Olympic will always be a special place for me.

But I was really loved my experience on the Solstice in March and I am really looking forward to my first transatlantic on her in December. The spaces are so well designed that I felt less crowded than I did on the M class ships. The pool space was crowded but the Solarium seemed less so. I did miss the Tpool and there are not enough hot tubs inside or out. The location of the buffet a floor up from the pool took a little getting used to. The lawn is a really nice open space. It does get little use, but that means it is a nice open space on deck that does not leave you tripping over empty deck chairs reserved by some imaginary person that left a towel there 6 hours ago. I fell in love with going to the glass show.

If you like a specialty restaraunt, how can you not love a choice of 3 (4 if you count the Bistro)?

The spa was nice and I enjoyed the Relaxation room before and after my massage, but I did miss the sauna with the big round window.

There is something to be said for smaller ships, but if that is what you want the M class are not a choice. SeaDream is not really in my budget. If you want a small ship you would be more interested in Azmara.

Try the S class and you will be hooked.

i am sure that in a few years from now some one will ask "we loved the solstice class, but will we like the new (N/A) class that holds over 3000 people" there are lovers for every class of celebrity ships, some will love it some will hate even if the food, service and many others things are simmilar in both classes. cruise lines change!! deal with it!:D

Thanks for the replies. I knew that after lurking on these boards for the past couple of years that I could count on you CC'ers !

We just booked the Equinox TA for Nov 2010 for our special cruise. Seems a long way off but will be trying Azamara in January.

Again, thanks for the help. You guys are the best !

Jon

Come join the rollcall Oct 31, 2010

I've sailed M and S both once. I wouldn't hesitate to sail on either one again but my preference is for M. S won't feel crowded until you try maneuvering through the buffet and attempt to find a seat. We circled and circled just trying to find an occupied table with open seats that we can join. I think that without the trays the turnover is much slower, as people have to make extra trips back and forth from the table to get everything.

S doesn't have a T-pool. It's Aqua Spa cafe has far fewer offerings and very few seats compared with M. Also missing from S are late night bites and ice water in the non CC staterooms.

Still, S is a gem. The layout of the ship is very functional and the contemporary decor is like nothing else out there.

Archived