Black dress, coloured shoes. Cheap?

OK, so I was planning to only buy only one new dress for my upcoming cruise, but you ladies are a bad influence & I bought a second one at the weekend (defence: it was in the sale €140 down to €55) :D

The first dress is red, bought specifically to match some red strappy sandals I already had. The second dress is black, and I don't have any suitable black shoes to wear, all mine are too "work".

Can I wear a black dress with red shoes? I have this thought in the back of my mind that it looks cheap. The dress is just below the knee, so the shoes will be very visible. What are the rules for shoe/dress co-ordination?

Obviously I'm not averse to a new pair of shoes (duh!), but keen to reduce packing weight, as I have a very strict 20kg allowance. Originally I was planning to take a favourite old long black dress with red flowers on it, so the red sandals would have been fine. I may still take it anyway...

Thanks everyone. I suppose I should really try them on together & see how it looks. The flower in the hair idea is a good one, but I have short hair. I do have a red pashmina style wrap, which I was planning to take anyway, so that will balance out the shoe colour.

I guess I've got the Trinny & Susannah (UK what not to wear) mantra of "don't wear black with bright colours" in my head.

I've attached a pic of the dress as well.

black.jpg.fb39a112a2fb32121653aecb707ed52e.jpg

I actually had to go out and buy red shoes to go with a black dress. It is a fabulous look. A couple red accessories like earrings, bracelet and cluctch with that and you will be wonderfully dressed.

I guess I've got the Trinny & Susannah (UK what not to wear) mantra of "don't wear black with bright colours" in my head.

While I absolutely love Trinny and Susannah, I strongly disagree with them on this point!

I love black with small pops of color...

e6fd480cd7c2a3fcd418d52b1c0e3cc7.jpg

I think Helen Mirren looks Classy and Cute all at the same time, with her bright yellow shoes and bright yellow clutch!;)

I don't think you even need to try too hard here...

The Red Pashmina is enough, or a red clutch - not too much, just one thing and you're all set.

So just choose one red item for the top, and that's plenty.:D

I agree that the red shoes will look great.

However, the concept of it looking cheap depends on the shoes you're wearing. If you buy a cheap pair of plastic shiny looking shoes, then yes, the look will be cheap. If you buy shoes that have a little more "class", then I think you'll pull off the look much better. If you're going to draw attention to the shoes, then you have to make sure they're something special to look at. :)

I agree that the red shoes will look great.

However, the concept of it looking cheap depends on the shoes you're wearing. If you buy a cheap pair of plastic shiny looking shoes, then yes, the look will be cheap. If you buy shoes that have a little more "class", then I think you'll pull off the look much better. If you're going to draw attention to the shoes, then you have to make sure they're something special to look at. :)

I so agree!

Red shoes with a black dress will definitely stand out. And if they're cheap quality shoes, then yes, the whole outfit will look cheap. If the shoes are high quality, and well made, they can make even a cheap dress look expensive.

I agree with Curt too - just pick one other red thing - shawl, bag, accessory...just one thing, not a few.

Thanks everyone. I suppose I should really try them on together & see how it looks. The flower in the hair idea is a good one, but I have short hair. I do have a red pashmina style wrap, which I was planning to take anyway, so that will balance out the shoe colour.

I've attached a pic of the dress as well.

I think Trinny and Susannah are just off the mark on that advice. Just tihnk how nice a black dress looks with a wrap, sash or scarf in fuschia, bright turquose, or electric blue.

I so agree!

Red shoes with a black dress will definitely stand out. And if they're cheap quality shoes, then yes, the whole outfit will look cheap. If the shoes are high quality, and well made, they can make even a cheap dress look expensive.

I agree with Curt too - just pick one other red thing - shawl, bag, accessory...just one thing, not a few.

Yes, less is more!

Actually, the picture of Helen Mirren has TWO "pops" of the same color - the bag and the shoes - but still illustates the point - stick with good quality and don't overdo.

Thanks for all your advice.

However, I found this pair of black "party" heels on Saturday - peep toe slingbacks in satin with a pleated front - matches perfectly with the pleated top on the dress. They were only €25, so I snapped them up. If my suitcase is too heavy something else will just have to be left at home instead!

erez.jpg.0703ae23e936ff323d91e27ee9375177.jpg

Archived