Pay phone?

packard89

This will be our 1st time going out of the country without our son. We want to call him when we arrive in Cozumel and don't want to use our cell. What's the easiest way to call the states? Do we buy a calling card here at home and use a pay phone while there? Please help. :confused:

Thanks!!

There are pay phones by the pier. You use your credit card to pay. I did this one year and got a big surprise when I received my credit card bill. The phone call itself was reasonable, but they added a large ($20??) surcharge. This was a few years back and maybe things have changed, but I remember thinking never again!!!!! Here you're supporting their economy and I felt VERY ripped off and angry!

I take student groups to Mexico on a regular basis, and the question of calling home always arises. Buy the calling card in Mexico, NOT here in the States (even though the ones here say they are for international calls, in my experience they do not work on Mexican pay phones). They are readily available and sold at all the little convenience stores in different peso increments. For example, you can buy a $100 peso card (less than $10) that will give you 30-40 minutes of talk time to the U.S. They are very easy to use and pay phones are easy to find.

Archived