snorkeling stupidity

mcgovernsandra

I know this is going to sound crazy, but I have only been snorkeing twice before - one right off the beach and once out from a boat in Key Largo - it seems that the last time I spent half the time choking on salt water! My12 yr old had an easier time and I felt like a complete idiot! Was too embarrased to ask someone from the boat what I had done wrong. Now hubby and I are booked on a cruise on Valor in March and we have a snorkeling trip planned for Grand Cayman. Any tips would be totally appreciated so I could actually enjoy more time viewing and less time choking!

Hopefully, this will help some.

1) Obviously, once you dive (submerge snorkel) you should not breathe.

2) Once your head has resurfaced, you must blow-out all of the water. I recommend practicing in a pool prior to leaving.

Suggestions:

--Get the book, "Snorkeling for Idiots (or Dummies)"

--Get a Dry Snorkel this works great! I have one:

http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=GNSSM&ItemIndex=11&CategoryID=959&Context=954&Filter=

Have a great cruise!

You might want to get yourself a snorkle the helps you from getting water in it (only about 13.00 at a scuba store and well worth it). Sometimes you get caught up in the view and don't realize that you are putting your head too far down. I found that with my own maska nd snorkle I was sure of a good fit and a good snorkle.

Highly recommend a dry snorkel (keeps water from entering the snorkel)......also my husband and I are scuba divers and we carry a small travel bottle of mouthwash with us and you can splash a little of that on your snorkel mouthpiece before putting it back in your mouth - helps get rid of that saltwater taste.

For some reason or other, I never had trouble breathing while snorkeling. I don't know why. Lucky, I guess.

But when I go snorkeling on the surface, I never completely empty my lungs. I always keep just a little bit of breath in there for the water that might get in my snorkel so I can puff that water right out.

I do the same except more so when I dive underwater to look at something interesting. When I head back up to the surface and I'm sure that my snorkel is clear of the water, I blow like a whale (like the sort that we see on the wildlife documentaries), the water goes flying, and I can again breathe through my snorkel.

I hope this helps.

Both Tusa and Oceanmaster dry snorkels are readily available on eBay from a number of sellers. IMHO both of these manufacturers make a little better product than some of the other alternatives.

One of the 'dry snorkels' will help in keeping you from breathing salt water. I have tried various model snorkels from both manufacturers and can recommend either one highly. In terms of comfort and fit I prefer the Oceanmaster. Furthermore if you are just snorkeling and not scuba diving I would also recommend the rigid models as opposed to the flexible type snorkel. If you are snorkeling for longer periods of time the rigid type snorkel will cause a little less mouth fatigue. Most of us aren't used to having a mouthpiece between our teeth for prolonged periods of time. The flexible snorkels tend to produce a little more tugging action as you move through the water.

The real key to success is getting your own snorkeling equipment which usually will be better in quality than the rental equipment one encounters. Having a comfortable mask which fits you properly is probably THE most important piece of equipment. The good news is that a number of really good masks and really good dry snorkels are available on eBay right now. It's the off season for many dive shops and many of these shops have electronic stores via eBay. If needed I can provide advice on several different reliable and reputable eBay sellers from whom I have purchased equipment. My email address is pilot70d@yahoo.com . I should mention that I have no financial ties to any of these eBay sllers. I do buy equipment from them but I don't get any kickbacks, finder's fees or commission.

Hope this is helpful and everyone have a great day.

Sandra,

Everyone has given you wonderful advice! Another little opinion that I'd like to toss in is a little practice with all the gear. I watch people snorkel every day, and the most common difficulty is that they're just overwhelmed with all the unfamilliar (weird) gear. Grab yourself some mask and fins and just play around in the pool for awhile, that way when you hit the sea, you'll be stylin'

I would suggest you go to your local dive shop and have them give you skin diving-snorkel lessons, then you will maximise the amount of enjoyment from this activity. The cost should be very minimum.

John

Sounds elementary, but check if your snorkel is not defective, or too short. Recently I had to replace my trusty snorkel due to old age, and had problem with the new ones. The first one I bought, expensive, turned out to be defective, and I discovered while in the water the second one I bought, very cheap, turned out to be a children's size - too short. I discovered the problem while in the water. I've been snorkeling a long time, so was surprised to get so much water in the mouth.

First, go to a dive shop and buy a well-fitting mask, and a snorkel with a lower purge vent. The lower purge vent will capture splashes, and make it much easier to blow out any water that does come in.

After submerging, on the way back up, breathe out through your snorkel as you are just about to surface, then give a short puff as you roll over onto your stomach. Voila, clear snorkel!

Here's another trick - roll the tip of your tongue back, then press it to the back of your front teeth. Water droplets that splash in will hit the bottom of your tongue and won't make you choke.

Best solution of all is to discard the snorkel and start diving!

Wendy

• 2 weeks later...

My wife spends all her time on the surface and seldom has trouble - she justs adds a little air to her vest or uses a noodle. Had a hard time getting her face in the water and now she loves it. Took a while getting her to relax and use tiny movements of flippers/hands to get around.

A bit more on Wendy's comment about tilting your head back on surfacing. Two reasons - first, you don't run into the person who just swam above you. Second, with the tube pointing down most of the water just drains out of the tube. Much easier than blasting it out on the surface (I still prefer a J tube with no valves or baffles). Breath carefully, and as she said, with your tongue in the way to catch the stray drops.

• 2 weeks later...
Hopefully, this will help some.

Suggestions:

--Get the book, "Snorkeling for Idiots (or Dummies)"

--Get a Dry Snorkel this works great! I have one:

http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=GNSSM&ItemIndex=11&CategoryID=959&Context=954&Filter=

Have a great cruise!

I have a "dry" snorkel!!! Wouldn't snorkel without it!!!! I did practice in a pool first!!!

Archived