RCCL Mariner 9th Deck aft cabin

badhangover

Just booked one of these. I hope I'm saying it correctly - one of the E1 category balcony cabins overlooking the rear/wake of the ship. Any thoughts on rear facing balcony cabins and also of 9th (higher as opposed to lower) deck?

Thanks in advance. :)

As long as you are aware of the steel structure back there so there is no suprises it is a great choice.

You cant look directly down into the waters as there is a deck- not opened to the public outside deck 6.

Interesting. Thank you for that tid bit. Will I be able to look down at the water and wake at all, even if not directly down? Also, we have travel companions sailing on another aft cabin on the 6th deck. Will their downward view be even more obstructed?

I had two other reasons for making this uninformed cabin selection: In hopes of having a line of sight of land in either sailing direction and in hopes wind would be less of a factor in an aft cabin. I'm looking forward to enjoying cigars out on the balcony and strong winds wreak havoc on a cigar smoking experience.

In case you can't tell, this is my first balcony experience.

Again, thank you!

you want to move those people off deck 6- any higher up balcony will be a better choice.

deck 6-- 69832586dUpCqo_th.jpg

click on photo to make it larger-- the scroll to the right and click on view full album to see other shots of aft balconies on this class of ship

Badhangover ~ Just some more information for you -- DH and I sailed on the Explorer in 2008 in cabin 9692 and on Mariner this past April in cabin 1392. As much as I really loved cabin 1392 (a D1 and more room) we have booked cabin 9692 for Mariner in May, 2010. The reason being the balconies on Deck 9 have the larger table and a bit more sun on the balcony than 1392 did. The larger table made it so much easier to have breakfast out on the balcony.

We had no problem with the infrastructure and the view from our balcony but I do agree withe Serene56 your friends on Deck 6 probably will want to move -- jmho.

Enjoy your cruise!

I really want to thank the both of you. You've both been a big help to me.

Unfortunately, the balconies are sold out for our sailing. Doesn't look like switching is possible. The fortunate thing is, I forwarded the picture gallery onward and my traveling companions don't seem fazed by all the steel that will be their horizon. :)

As for me, I'm pretty happy with my choice. Cabin 9390. I wish it were 9392 now, but live and learn. I chose 9390 'cause it had one less adjoining neighbor and the depiction of the cruise ship in drawing showed 9390 to have a square balcony with no line of sight obstructions. I now see from the pictures that its balcony is rounded off at the starboard side - taking both space and line of sight away from it. Next time I go for the innies! :p

Thanks again, you two! :)

• 1 month later...

Thank you all so much for posting your pictures of the aft balconies. I've cruised a lot but never with an aft balcony, and your pictures and advice helped my husband and me make up our mind about what to book. Nothing like the photographic evidence of experience! Thanks again.

We had 9390 on the Mariner a few years ago...the steel infrastructer didn't bother our view that much...but the steel beam coming across the back of our balcony at an angle did take up quite a bit of usable space.. the balcony is actually rather triangle shaped...it was fine for 2 people..and my sister's 1st balcony..but I would not book it again.. not sure when you are sailing but I would keep my eye open incase one of the center aft cabins popped open at the last minute..they have lovely LARGE balconies!

Archived