Are Jeans (not frayed or with holes) Smart Casual?

Lml513

Jeans are pants, or trousers, made from denim. Mainly designed for work, they became popular among teenagers starting in the 1950s. Historic brands include Levi's and Wrangler.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeans, so if your definition of dining is work than well go ahead.The other reason to wear Jans is being one of those Construction workers who're still onboard after dry dock to finish up the job site.:)

We are leaving on the Sapphire Princess on 8/15. I would like to get clarification on whether jeans are considered Smart Casual. According to the Princess Answer Book inappropriate dinner wear includes "casual jeans with fraying and/or holes". Does this mean jeans without fraying or holes are allowable? It also says that Smart Casual is keeping with "what they wold wear to a nice restaurant at home". There are many nice restaurants, but not the "swankiest" where people wear jeans.

On our Princess cruise last year I wore Dockers on Smart Casual nights, but would prefer to wear jeans (without fraying or holes) on some Smart Casual nights if it is acceptable

Berliner

You neglected to include these lines from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeans

Jeans are now a very popular form of casual dress around the world. They come in many styles and colors

During the 1960s the wearing of blue jeans became more acceptable. By the 1970s had become a general fashion in the United States, at least for informal wear.

But of course they may still not be "smart casual" in the eyes of many posters

Berliner

You neglected to include these lines from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeans

Jeans are now a very popular form of casual dress around the world. They come in many styles and colors

During the 1960s the wearing of blue jeans became more acceptable. By the 1970s had become a general fashion in the United States, at least for informal wear.

But of course they may still not be "smart casual" in the eyes of many posters

my definition of "smart casual": I'm smart enough to dress casual while following the guidelines of a dress code as well the majority of fellow passengers.It is always amusing to see Gentleman's wearing a Jacket with silver or white buttons an absolute faux pas in maritime circles.;)

I don't think there is anything confusing about Princess' position. They allow jeans in the dining room on non-formal nights.
Yes, they do although on our recent British Isles cruise, almost no one wore jeans at dinner that I saw. Pretty much everyone was dressed up nicely. The only person in our section of the dining room in jeans was a young woman who was glued to her phone during dinner, making and receiving phone calls. FYI, I am merely making an observation.

From 6 Categories of Casual or Informal Dress

Smart Casual:

If you are going to an informal dinner with friends in an upscale restaurant. If male, you are wearing dress trousers (or even crisp jeans*), a long-sleeve shirt, maybe a tie, leather loafers or dressy slip-on's, patterned socks or solid-colored dress socks, a tipped belt, and you may or may not wear a sport coat. You are dressed in the Smart Casual category.

If female, you are wearing slacks, crisp jeans, or a skirt (long or short), a blouse or turtleneck, a fashionable belt, a jacket, a vest, or a sweater coordinated to your outfit, hosiery or socks with boots, flats (leather, suede, or fabric) or mid-heel shoes. You are also wearing jewelry, such as earrings that complement your overall outfit, at least. You are dressed in the Smart Casual category. Again, if you are wearing jeans, wearing a jacket upgrades you to Smart Casual. This category demands a pulled-together, harmonious, complete look with colors, fabrics, shoes, and accessories, for both men and women.

*If you are wearing crisp jeans, you must wear a sport coat for Smart Casual. :eek:

Some women and men do not l:eek:k "smart" in jeans....not flattering at all.

If one's anatomy is "well gifted" (or well fed) in the booty area....please,skip the jeans in the dining room!

I always equate jeans with hiking....not dining

I that case even wearing a pair of Dockers or dress pants isn't going to improve the situation. :eek:

Might as well be comfortable. :D;)

http://www.skirmishgaming.com/Images/Dress_Up.jpg

My DH and I always try to follow the dress codes, however with a 30 day SA cruise that encompasses the warm Mexican Riveria to the Cold Southern SA countries, we are going to have to really think our packing. With the new luggage limits on airlines, it's hard to drag along all the formal clothing, the warm clothing and the cold clothing.

On smart casual evenings we may have to wear some nice jeans and nice tops...and I'm definitely not packing a bunch of the formal wear I normally bring on cruises--sequined dresses and pantsuits.

I'm going to have put a lot more thought into packing for this cruise, more than any other I have done before. Personally, I think the new baggage restrictions are changing things. I hope to use the laundry facilities, too, a first time for me.

Any suggestions on the best time to do laundry and how many w/d's there are on each deck? We are going to be on the Star...our cabin is on the Aloha deck.

Lauren

We are leaving on the Sapphire Princess on 8/15. I would like to get clarification on whether jeans are considered Smart Casual. According to the Princess Answer Book inappropriate dinner wear includes "casual jeans with fraying and/or holes". Does this mean jeans without fraying or holes are allowable? It also says that Smart Casual is keeping with "what they wold wear to a nice restaurant at home". There are many nice restaurants, but not the "swankiest" where people wear jeans.

On our Princess cruise last year I wore Dockers on Smart Casual nights, but would prefer to wear jeans (without fraying or holes) on some Smart Casual nights if it is acceptable

The way I look at this is, would you wear a pair of jeans to a good restaurant if you were at home? I personally would not. That's normally how I decide what is smart casual but each to their own.

More than any other cruise we have been on, the dress in the dining room for Alaska cruises seems much more casual. Maybe it is the temperature, the luggage weight requirements and neccesity of packing heavier clothes, but saw many folks in jeans (some nice, some not) in the DR for dinner.

I think the best advice we can give anyone here is the advice I give my well mannered children - MYOB! It is not a competition to see who is dressed better or more expensively. We are on vacation - relax and have a good time. It is not a fashion show nor is it a contest. I do believe that people should be dressed appropriately and according to the guidelines set up by the shipping company. The guidelines state - jeans are acceptable as long as there are no holes or frays!

Happy relaxing vacation to all!

~Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right~ Robert Hunter

So you spend $210 on ZZegna designer tailored jeans and someone else spends $30 on IZOD off the peg Chinos and the jeans are not acceptable as smart casual and the Chinos are. There needs to be a reality check somewhere.

I think the best advice we can give anyone here is the advice I give my well mannered children - MYOB! It is not a competition to see who is dressed better or more expensively. We are on vacation - relax and have a good time. It is not a fashion show nor is it a contest. I do believe that people should be dressed appropriately and according to the guidelines set up by the shipping company. The guidelines state - jeans are acceptable as long as there are no holes or frays!

Happy relaxing vacation to all!

~Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right~ Robert Hunter

It doesn't really state that "jeans are acceptable" in the answer book - It states "Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps, and casual jeans(with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. This is under the "Smart Casual" section.

One could interpret this as no jeans are acceptable, especially those with fraying and/or holes. I realize that many of the DR doormen are letting it slide, but are they correct?

Ron

So you spend $210 on ZZegna designer tailored jeans and someone else spends $30 on IZOD off the peg Chinos and the jeans are not acceptable as smart casual and the Chinos are. There needs to be a reality check somewhere.

You are seriously mixing things up.

Since when was the level of formality of attire relevant to the amount spent on it? Designer jeans are still jeans regardless of the $$ spent. If I paid $75 in a resale shop for my son's tux, does that mean your $200 jeans should be considered formal wear? And what about someone who paid $175 for "superstar name" sneakers -- are they considered appropriate wear with a suit or tux?

Money spent on an item does not "raise" its level of formality!

You are seriously mixing things up.

Since when was the level of formality of attire relevant to the amount spent on it? Designer jeans are still jeans regardless of the $$ spent. If I paid $75 in a resale shop for my son's tux, does that mean your $200 jeans should be considered formal wear? And what about someone who paid $175 for "superstar name" sneakers -- are they considered appropriate wear with a suit or tux?

Money spent on an item does not "raise" its level of formality!

So true except that tailored jeans can actually look and fit much better than a pair of off the peg chinos - it is only the cloth that differentiates the jean from any other trouser. If smart is the aim then tailored normally looks much better than off the peg. Price can sometimes provide better quality but ias you say is not really relevant.

They could also have long tables, kind of like family style, and would be able to fit more people in the DR.

Ron

That would reduce the size of the waiting list for traditional dining and reduce the waiting time for anytime dining.

My vote is that jeans are jeans and are not appropriate for smart causal.... maybe causual but not smart causal. But then again, I am an older guy who is living in the world as it was 40 years ago! So I guess now younger people consider jeans as smart causal - so who am I to judge. ( When I retired from teaching I was the last male to wear a tie everyday to school in the entire school district - that indicates how old fashioned I am!)

That being said, my wife and I have tickets for the Los Angeles Philharmonic at the Disney Concert Hall which is pretty formal for LA. There I see young women dressed to the hilt - extremely fashionable. Their dates are guys in jeans and a tee shirt. For the life of me I can't figure out what a young attractive lady who takes such pride in her appearence sees in guy that cares less in how he presents himself to others.

Archived