Some Help Bugeting for OnBoard Costs?

MarinaDCA

Hi all :) I am new here and going on my first cruise in December (yay!!!) and am trying to budget for the extra costs we will incur on the ship during our trip. I am sure there is a great thread here that I am not finding regarding this, my search skills are not fantastic, so if you have a link you'd like to share I would be most grateful.

Basically I am wondering what the costs of drinks usually are. I am planning on purchasing us both soda cards, it seems to be that water can be had at dinner for free (unless thats wrong...) and obviously bar drinks will cost us. We both drink (but do not plan on being drunk for the duration or anything like that) and I can't seem to find the costs of them. I did find a wine list (yikes) and plan to bring a few bottles with us and find the corckage fees very reasonable. What should we expect to pay for cocktails by the pool or in the lounges/bars?

Since we do not gamble and aren't big souvenir fiends we will likely only purchase a few photos (we plan to do the UBD for example) and maybe a souvenir or two. What can we expect to pay for the photos?

Sorry to ask just specific questions... I don't mind spending some money, but I would hate to have a nasty surprise come check out time and prefer to go in knowing roughly how much we will be spending.

I apoligize if this question has been asked repeatedly, searching didn't yield me much, but all these cruise ship terms are so new to me! Thank you for any help :)

I haven't been on Princess for years, so can't really help with prices (I know others will be more than helpful!)

What we do is put money on our onboard account prior to cruising - usually about $500 - to help cover our gambling, beverages, phots, etc. Then, at the end of the cruise, our bill is usually a lot more manageable or nonexistent (unless we've been buying at the art auction;)) If you would like to do this, just give your travel agent extra funds for your account, or contact Princess if you booked on your own.

Enjoy your cruise!

How long is your cruise and where are you going? That does make a difference. From what I remember, bar drinks are around $7-$8 plus 15%. Pictures, I think run around $25 each. As you can tell, we don't spend much on either of these things onboard. I'm sure someone who has cruised more recently can give you a better idea. Don't forget tips are added to your account, around $10 per day per person. There is also specialty DR, which is extra money(we never use). You also have to consider tours if you don't book them private run $30-$200 per person also.

One thing nice about cruising-you can spend as little or as much as you want! Just be sure to check your account every two days, it can add up fast! We have had a tab as low as $100 (not including tips) up to $1000 (our anniversary cruise).

Have a great cruise!!!

I can't quote exact prices but for my own planning, I start with the daily auto tipping which is $10.50 or $11 depending on stateroom category (mini suite and up is $11 per persone per day) I then add up the costs of Princess booked excursions.. The drink of the day is usually around $5 I'm not sure about other cocktails. A soda is about $2 I don't get the soda card as I don't drink but perhaps 3-4 on a cruise. If you buy a botttle of wine in the dining room and onlly care for a glass, they will hold the bottle for another time. I usually enjoy one glass with my dinner. save the rest for another night. I like the coffee card it is around $27 and has 15 punches. I have one from a cruise in Feb and will probably use it this Oct on my next cruise. The soda card has to be used on the cruise it is purchaed , the coffee card can be used until all punches are used. Bingo is $20 for the triple card. The singl;e pack I think is $10 Photos I think ran about $10 a picture, but sometimes they have special package deals. I just checked my last folio and i Noticed bar bills ranged from $6.27 to $7.76 a drink. It depends on what you order. Making a gestimate with the above suggestions and having it set aside at home so you won't be in a state of schock when the credit card bill arrives makes the trip easier for me and DH. I hope I have helped a bit. Have a great cruise.

Thank you for that quilter! I am an accountant by trade, so I want to make some estimates (over estimates) and that was extremely helpful. We are both soda and coffee fiends, so I do see purchasing those cards, I was just worried drinks were $10+ each (yikes) its good to know they are more reasonable prices (similar to bars around my neck of the woods).

For a PP who asked... the cruise is 7 nights to the Caribbean, we do plan to do some excursions (we enjoy snorkeling and kayaking so this is a must for us, as we've not visited any of the ports before) but haven't decided if we'll do princess or private or maybe even on our own, but at least once we decide we will know the exact price.

It looks like I'll be able to plan for 8 bucks per drink (plus the tip added on) and should be in he right neighborhood.

I do love cruise critic and appreciate all of your replies!

Hi All,

On my last cruise a few days before the end of 14 days in the Med I watched a bloke get a copy of his onboard account when the bloke behind the desk said $5500 I thought the doctor was going to be required he had such a shock.

yours Shogun

Thank you for that quilter! I am an accountant by trade, so I want to make some estimates (over estimates) and that was extremely helpful. We are both soda and coffee fiends, so I do see purchasing those cards, I was just worried drinks were $10+ each (yikes) its good to know they are more reasonable prices (similar to bars around my neck of the woods).

For a PP who asked... the cruise is 7 nights to the Caribbean, we do plan to do some excursions (we enjoy snorkeling and kayaking so this is a must for us, as we've not visited any of the ports before) but haven't decided if we'll do princess or private or maybe even on our own, but at least once we decide we will know the exact price.

It looks like I'll be able to plan for 8 bucks per drink (plus the tip added on) and should be in he right neighborhood.

I do love cruise critic and appreciate all of your replies!

Remember that the auto tip will be $147 ($154 for mini suite or suite) for the week for two of you.

My DW and I do not buy the mixed drinks as we don't think they are worth the money. We do buy beer. If you buy beer, always get a bucket at a time as you will pay for four and get the fifth one free. Even if you only drink one beer at a time, you can put the unopened ones in your refrigerator. Just remember to bring a bottle opener.

Basically I am wondering what the costs of drinks usually are. I am planning on purchasing us both soda cards, it seems to be that water can be had at dinner for free (unless thats wrong...) and obviously bar drinks will cost us.

Water at dinner is free, but they will try to sell you sparkling water if you wish. Tell them no and you shouldn't be bothered for the rest of your cruise (if you're in traditional dining...). And you can always ask for lemon for your water too.

Remember that the auto tip will be $147 ($154 for mini suite or suite) for the week for two of you.

My DW and I do not buy the mixed drinks as we don't think they are worth the money. We do buy beer. If you buy beer, always get a bucket at a time as you will pay for four and get the fifth one free. Even if you only drink one beer at a time, you can put the unopened ones in your refrigerator. Just remember to bring a bottle opener.

Now that is really good to know. We prefer beer (and wine which we will bring)...do you mind if I ask what the cost of the buckets are?

Embarking photo is 20$ I was told...I had received 2 coupon books the 2nd day for 10$ off that photo.

I ended up not getting it cause we were unable to locate it when I did want to prchase it.

Formal night photo is 25$. Again I had a coupon- 20$ off...

As part of the Ultimate Balcony Dining 100$ fee- you get flowers ( so dont book too close ot the end of the cruise so you can enjoy them for days...)

make sure your waiter takes some pics for you as our photographer showed up so late and did not take a great pic like the waiter did with my aim and shoot digital....

You get a free 8x10 you get one drink each of your choice and a 1/2 split of champagne.

When we got on board and had lunch in the dining room, my husband asked for unsweetened iced tea...they brought it to him...I asked for the same with lemon...and they brought me a snapple and charged me...I never asked f0r lemon again hahaha

The coupon book also had a buy one get one free coffee card in it.

They had a 10$ sale on the ship...I bought two shawls, a beaded purse, and cufflinks because they caught our eye.

They also had a large clearance type sale towards the end of the cruise. I got a 25$ nice shirt for my oldest there, because we found nothing like it in the regular shops that was as nice and understated....

I brought a flask of Amaretto to mix with OJ.

Water was free flowing at dinner and in the buffets, juices, lemonade, and iced tea in addition to cofee and tea was always available. We did not consider a soda card & bought one in Bermuda...but no soda all cruise...cause there was plenty else to drink

Our biggest expense after the daily gratuities was a Citizen watch we bought for my son.

Last day of bingo (jackpot game) series of 4 games was 30$.

We brought GatorAde onto the ship for our shore excursions...and wine, champagne, and Mimosas.

we were not trying to not spend money, but we were also aware of how not being aware could make ones bill grow quickly!

We also learned from these boards to check your charges twice during the cruise to make sure all the charges are valid...

We did the first time 3 04 4 days into the cruise...cause it makes it easier ot remember what you did spend money on....

Bernadette

On the Sapphire, last month I purchased the upgraded soda card for $7.50/day. This allowed unlimited smoothies and "mocktails" like virgin pina coladas and strawberry daquiries. I then added my own rum which I had no problem bringing on board from one of the ports.

Basically, drinks, beer, and wine are slightly less than the average American restaurant charges for the same brands. Not bad, in my opinion, as you're a captive audience. Spa and beauty services are higher than at home, though; as much as 50%. Doesn't stop my dear wife from partaking, though. Gotta love her!

Thank you all for the answers!

Just a question, I just read on the roll call thread that wine was limited to 1 bottle per person to bring on board...is that the case? I was hoping to bring a few more bottles, but don't want to get them confiscated :)

We aren't big spenders either but the last cruise we were on had two formal nights and a Halloween party so we did go a bit overboard on photos. We just drank the free soft drinks and didn't book shore excursions as the ports were easy to do on your own. I think the Panama Canal cruise, we will have to do shore excursions for Panama and Costa Rica as there are potential issues with missing the ship if you don't. Then we will have the auto-tipping so expecting maybe a $500 tab. We aren't going to do the formal nights, will probably eat in the buffet most nights.

I think it just depends on what you enjoy and how you want to spend your money. Some people save up all year so that they don't have to think about what they spend. they enjoy the spa, buy wine with dinner, lots of excursions. You can estimate what you would spend.

Our family is pretty thrify, and we have fun with it. When we went on a 12 day mediterranean cruise with a family of four, we had a total ship's bill of $600. We took a suitcase full of sodas and purchased wine at every mediterranean port. We explored all of the ports on our own... no excursions.

However, once on-shore, we bought a lovely lunch everyday, and enjoyed as much as we could. We even paid for a lovely gondola ride in Venice!

The big key is to make a plan and decide what you are going to do, and stay with the plan. Have a great time!

"I did find a wine list (yikes) and plan to bring a few bottles with us and find the corckage fees very reasonable"

On the Sun Princess the fees were outrageous - AUD$25 per bottle. Unless you have really particular tastes you are better off with their wine list. You are permitted to bring one bottle per person back onboard when you do a shore excursion. We purchased champagne and obtained an icebucket and glasses free of charge from the cabin steward then sat on deck for the sunset. Your drinks can be consumed free of corkage charges anywhere on the outside deck.

May or may not be any help here but I don't use (don't have) credit or debit cards, so when cruising I use travellers cheques for the on board account.

I put in an amount - my kitty, if you like - as soon as I can when aboard ship, then every other day or so I get a statement from reception so that I can keep an eye on what is being spent and top it up as/when required.

When the end of the cruise comes along, there are no nasty surprises when you go to settle the account such as massive credit/debit card bills or mistakes.

In the last 7 cruises of doing the budget like this, come the end of the cruise it has been the ship that has paid me...and not the other way around :)

Hi All,

On my last cruise a few days before the end of 14 days in the Med I watched a bloke get a copy of his onboard account when the bloke behind the desk said $5500 I thought the doctor was going to be required he had such a shock.

yours Shogun

I like that

Archived