Fairbanks Smoky This Week

jhannah

We are now at the McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge, and the mountain is hiding behind a veil of smoke. Many wildfires in the region had us choking in Fairbanks Wednesday and Thursday.

DSC02874.jpg.da36ea01ac266b3062187b822db31cd5.jpg

This was the view from our room at Bear Lodge. We landed at about 4:30 Wednesday. Two planes before us had to turn around and go back to Anchorage, and no others landed the rest of the evening. I don't think any could land Thursday. Some poor folks were bussed 10 hours from Anchorage to Fairbanks. So glad we didn't have to go through that after a long day of flying to get to Anchorage! Just one of those things that no one has control over. We still had a good time, even though the smoke was almost choking at times. The hotel was providing masks, but they didn't to that much good.

The Princess lodges at Denali and here at McKinley are wonderful. If you've ever considered a cruisetour, then book one.

We board the Island Princess on Monday, so we're hoping that McKinley will give us a peek before we leave here.

Oh boy.

I hope things clear up soon. We're flying from ANC to Fairbanks next Wednesday. Now that selfish first thought are out of the way, I hope they can get the fires under control for the sake of the animal and human inhabitants!

Thanks for the heads up, and will be 2 weeks behind you on the Island!

Have a great trip!

Oh boy.

I hope things clear up soon. We're flying from ANC to Fairbanks next Wednesday. Now that selfish first thought are out of the way, I hope they can get the fires under control for the sake of the animal and human inhabitants!

Thanks for the heads up, and will be 2 weeks behind you on the Island!

Have a great trip!

And we are a few weeks behind you, as we fly into Fairbanks on Sept. 5th. Enjoy your tour/cruise; hopefully w/o the fires.

Sorry to hear about that. Sounds like you were lucky just to get in to Fairbanks.

Note to self: Do not attempt to fly into Alaska when the Palins are grilling.

The smoke that is happening are a result of annual outbreaks of fires started long ago that never extenguish. These fires smolder through the winter and really get going in August. I doubt if the former governer had anything to do with it. The only way to see McKinley during the smoke season is via helicopter .

Zouave

The smoke that is happening are a result of annual outbreaks of fires started long ago that never extenguish. These fires smolder through the winter and really get going in August. I doubt if the former governer had anything to do with it. The only way to see McKinley during the smoke season is via helicopter .

Zouave

Wow! Rob had me going there for a minute, glad you cleared that up.

Zouave

Where did you lose your sense of humor? :D

My sister was on one of the flights that had to land in Anchorage. They had a 12 hour horrible bus ride to Fairbanks. She said that they had a beautuful view of Mr. McKinley though, the best in a long time according to their guide. They are now on the Coral and having a great cruise.

We are now at the McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge, and the mountain is hiding behind a veil of smoke. Many wildfires in the region had us choking in Fairbanks Wednesday and Thursday.

[ATTACH]127521[/ATTACH]

This was the view from our room at Bear Lodge. We landed at about 4:30 Wednesday. Two planes before us had to turn around and go back to Anchorage, and no others landed the rest of the evening. I don't think any could land Thursday. Some poor folks were bussed 10 hours from Anchorage to Fairbanks. So glad we didn't have to go through that after a long day of flying to get to Anchorage! Just one of those things that no one has control over. We still had a good time, even though the smoke was almost choking at times. The hotel was providing masks, but they didn't to that much good.

The Princess lodges at Denali and here at McKinley are wonderful. If you've ever considered a cruisetour, then book one.

We board the Island Princess on Monday, so we're hoping that McKinley will give us a peek before we leave here.

Sorry to hear about the smoke in Fairbanks. Have been watching the weather reports and saw the smoke report for that area. We fly into Fairbanks this coming Wed.

We are just down Hwy 75 from McKinney. We will be on Coral.

We still haven't seen Mt. McKinley. Sun is shining here at the lodge, but still clouds and smoke hiding Denali. We have until tomorrow, so maybe ...

Since you have been able to send email to CC board, I am guessing that you have internet

connection at the Princess Lodge?

Hope that you get to see Mt. tomorrow. My DH has a Summit Flight booked for Friday.

We are praying for clear skies while in Denali.

Have a GREAT cruise.

Temps are HOT here in N. Texas - almost 100 today.

Since you have been able to send email to CC board, I am guessing that you have internet connection at the Princess Lodge?
Yes, but only in the lodges. No wi-fi in guest rooms.

The mountain is peeking out a bit this morning.

Sorry to hear about that. Sounds like you were lucky just to get in to Fairbanks.

Note to self: Do not attempt to fly into Alaska when the Palins are grilling.

LOL - Bet the smoke from their grill not only spoils their view of Denali but of Russia as well.:D

Archived