In regards to the swine flu

firebyrd

Has anyone on a recent cruise noticed any vamping up of cleaning on the cruise ships due to the swine flu scares? I noticed on the Carnival cruise line, they did not offer hand sanitizer or wipes on our last cruise. On the Disney cruise line, it was mandatory before you entered the dining room to use the disinfectant hand wipes. They had someone at the entrance of the dining rooms passing them out. I thought it was a great idea especially with helping out with the viruses. Anyone noticed Carnival doing this? Just curious. I took my own sanitizer last cruise and just used it at the table before our meal. I thought maybe the cruises lines would vamp up things because of the flu epidemic that is expected.

Last cruise on the Holiday there were hand sanatizers all over the ship, especialy at all the eating spots. I do know that they have stepped up their sanatizing efforts. They are now using a misting/defogger type sanatizer in all the cabins prior to new guest getting on board. Just a reminder hand sanatizers generally have no effect on viruses, well washing with soap and hot water are much better.

LJust a reminder hand sanatizers generally have no effect on viruses, well washing with soap and hot water are much better.

:confused: From the mayo clinic:

Proper use of an alcohol-based hand sanitizer

Alcohol-based hand sanitizers — which don't require water — are an excellent alternative to hand washing, particularly when soap and water aren't available. They're actually more effective than soap and water in killing bacteria and viruses that cause disease. Commercially prepared hand sanitizers contain ingredients that help prevent skin dryness. Using these products can result in less skin dryness and irritation than hand washing.

Alcohol-based hand sanitizers — which don't require water — are an excellent alternative to hand washing, particularly when soap and water aren't available. They're actually more effective than soap and water in killing bacteria and viruses that cause disease. Commercially prepared hand sanitizers contain ingredients that help prevent skin dryness. Using these products can result in less skin dryness and irritation than hand washing.

Thanks for posting this. It is all we use in the hospital. FOAM IN FOAM OUT. They don't work with e coli or Norovirus though or anything associated with poop:eek:.

As an infection control practitioner my eyeballs are always open to these things.

When I cruised on the Freedom of the Seas many people used the hand sanitizer then proceeded to the buffet and when a touch of sauce or anything gets on their fingers from the serving spoons or ladles they lick their fingers (as if their mouth is a faucet) then pick up the next utensil with their saliva bathed fingers and carry on. Anyone with the brains that God gave a goat can tell that all the sanitizer in the world does not help if right after you put that sanitized hand into you mouth.

As an infection control practitioner my eyeballs are always open to these things.

When I cruised on the Freedom of the Seas many people used the hand sanitizer then proceeded to the buffet and when a touch of sauce or anything gets on their fingers from the serving spoons or ladles they lick their fingers (as if their mouth is a faucet) then pick up the next utensil with their saliva bathed fingers and carry on. Anyone with the brains that God gave a goat can tell that all the sanitizer in the world does not help if right after you put that sanitized hand into you mouth.

Yuck! When we go to the buffet, we get all our food, find a table, then go to the local bathroom to wash our hands without touching anything in between, seems to work well.

thats gross

Do you eat at the buffets? I am in H/C as well & I have a problem with it unless I am first in line :-)

The gels DO NOT kill norovirus and H1N1!!! TAKE A CAN OF LYSOL SPRAY AND DISINFECT YOUR CABIN! I also take onboard soaked bleach wipes in a baggie with some gloves, they DO kill norovirus and H1N1! Clean off the remote controls and knobs and light switches etc!

I just got over Swine Flu, it is a nasty flu, you DO NOT want to get this !

Do you eat at the buffets? I am in H/C as well & I have a problem with it unless I am first in line :-)

If you go to the buffets, wear those disposable gloves so your not sharing the germs on the utensils! Just don't touch your face!! Then throw out the gloves before you eat and wash your hands with your gel.

The gels DO NOT kill norovirus and H1N1!!! TAKE A CAN OF LYSOL SPRAY AND DISINFECT YOUR CABIN! I also take onboard soaked bleach wipes in a baggie with some gloves, they DO kill norovirus and H1N1! Clean off the remote controls and knobs and light switches etc!

I just got over Swine Flu, it is a nasty flu, you DO NOT want to get this !

I don't disagree with your advice, and I can't speak about norovirus intelligently, but alcohol based hand sanitizers have proven effective against the flu virus, including H1N1. While washing hands with soap and water for 20 seconds is the preferred manner, that isn't always an option, and people should not think that the sanitizers won't help, because they will. That is why the CDC recommends their usage.

From the CDC guidance on norovirus- http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/pub/norovirus/Norovirus.htm

• How to prevent getting and spreading noroviruses
    • Wash hands often. Wash hands after using the bathroom or changing diapers and before eating or preparing food. Wash hands more often when someone in your home is sick. For hand washing tips, click on the following link: www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/pub/Handwashing/HandwashingTips.htm
    • Avoid shaking hands during outbreaks.
    • Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer along with handwashing.

So....

Yes, wash your hands and wash them well.

Yes, use a paper towel to turn the sink off and open the door.

Yes, use hand sanitizer!

How about teaching people how to boost their immune system so that when they do get exposed their body is able to fight the germs naturally? We are such a the sky is falling society-the best thing our gov. could do is teach people how to stay healthy, not what to do after they get sick! Never had a flu shot in my life, work with the public on a daily basis, and never get sick. Of course, we watch the amount of processed foods we eat, during "flu season" we up our dosage of Vit. C, get plenty of exercise, and work at keeping a positive attitude. Works for us!

Pat

I'm a nurse at the cleveland clinic. Outside every patient room (and inside as well) There are hand sanitizing foam stations. I know I'm repeating things other people have said, but it's true that hand sanitizers are seen as one of the best ways to kill bacteria. The only time hand sanitizer is not used is when someone has the bacteria c. difficile in their stool. There shouldn't be anything to worry about if you protect yourself by washing or sanitizing your hands, covering your cough or sneeze, and staying well hydrated.:cool:

I think that if carnival isn't using hand sanitizing stations, that would be an excellent suggestionn on those comment cards they hand out on the last day, and it never hurts to bring your own along. :p

Happy Cruising :D

As to the OP's original question:

I was on the Freedom in late June and there were hand sanitizing stations outside the entrance to the dining room and in the lido buffet. Also, at the gangway as you were re-boarding from ports of call. I don't believe I had seen them at the gangway in the past.

Thanks for responding with so much info. I will definitely consider the clorox on the remote, knobs, etc. I wonder if the actual Clorox disposible wipes would be sufficient. I need to check those and see and if so that would be easy to pack and take along. I also like the idea of the Lysol Will definetly consider that.

Archived