Has fuel surcharge returned?

lysolqn

Just read the following under 'ONC for fuel surcharge?' thread -

"We are sailing BtB to Alaska Sept.4th and Sept. 11.We have our cruise docs and for Sept.4th were not charged a fuel surcharge.Sept. 11 we were charged a fuel surcharge.Looks like they are back."

If it is indeed back, that adds a whopping $70/day to the cost of our ten-night cruise with our children and grandchildren later this year. Ouch!

Well, I just looked at my booking for next March...nothing regarding fuel surcharge has been added

Too far off to be affected at this time. Hoping to hear from folks who will be cruising in September/October, especially those who've already gotten their docs.

I just looked at my docs for our upcoming sailing on Sept 13th and don't see any mention of it at all; not even a disclosure that it may be charged. That being said, I know they may charge it at any time that crude is over $65 a barrel. Today, crude is trading around $71.15 according to the site I monitor:

http://www.oil-price.net/

You can track the price of cruse for a long time. It looks like the highest amount this year was around June 15th at about $74 a barrel. I would say unless the price soars over $80 a barrel; Celebrity won't charge the surcharge. Luckily, we are ending the summer travel season in the next few weeks and after Labor day Crude prices tend to drop.

We will just have to wait and see I suppose.

I've talked to three different Celebrity agents today and all of them said no fuel surcharges. I made one final payment and the comment was even entered that no fuel surcharge will be added now that the cruise in paid in full.

I've talked to three different Celebrity agents today and all of them said no fuel surcharges. I made one final payment and the comment was even entered that no fuel surcharge will be added now that the cruise in paid in full.

I don't think you will end up having to pay the surcharge but I think you were told incorrect information. The website itself states the following:

Celebrity reserves the right to change, whether via an increase or decrease, any published rates, including cruise rates and airfare charges, without prior notice. We reserve the right to impose on any existing booking or new bookings (whether paid in full or not) a supplement for fuel or other matters without prior notice as provided in our Passenger Ticket Contract. In addition, we reserve the right to pass through any third party imposed fuel or other surcharges, also without prior notice, The guest will remain liable for any applicable taxes, fees or surcharges that may be assessed by any governmental or quasi-governmental agencies.

We are paid in full for Oct. 23, and the final invoice has the, "We reserve the right to impose fuel supplement charge..." on the bottom of the page.

Just put in a quick mock booking on the x site. No fuel supplement is listed, just the usual "Celebrity reserves the right..." statement.

Happy sailing,

As I posted on another thread my bad.We booked a cruise last November while on a cruise.I believe Celebrity was charging a fuel surcharge then.We canceled that cruise and transferred our deposit to BTB Alaskan cruises.I think our deposit as well as our fuel surcharge was transferred to our current cruises.It went from a two week fuel surcharge to one week of our BTB.So I mistakenly assumed Celebrity was reinstating the fuel surcharge.Sorry for posting misinformation.

As I posted on another thread my bad.We booked a cruise last November while on a cruise.I believe Celebrity was charging a fuel surcharge then.We canceled that cruise and transferred our deposit to BTB Alaskan cruises.I think our deposit as well as our fuel surcharge was transferred to our current cruises.It went from a two week fuel surcharge to one week of our BTB.So I mistakenly assumed Celebrity was reinstating the fuel surcharge.Sorry for posting misinformation.

Appreciate you coming back and clarifying why you saw a 'fuel charge' on your cruise: an error when moved forward from a previous cruise - by 'X'. Good to 'fix' things that can cause issues, especially when it infers an increase in cost!

More than a few people post big problems and then let them ride as we all go crazy over some issue such as this - you came back and cleared it up - no Fuel Charge. For now! We are on a B2B and I'd hate to think about paying Fuel Charges for BOTH!

Denny

I try. Thanks for your thanks!Can't wait to sail the new ships.

I've never written up a review because I didn't think I had a lot to add to what had been said. But after our E Med and TA, I will write one up. I'm nervous (a bit) on the S-Class size but 'X' has handled big ships pretty well with the M-class. I'll miss the T-Spa but looking forward to a new experience.

Denny

This has been posted elsewhere, however, the next "review" for fuel price surcharge will happen around mid-Septmber for cruises during the last quarter of this year. So, at this point is is just up in the air as to what fuel prices will be at that time and whether Celebrity will impose the surcharge if the price of fuel is at or beyond their benchmark.

We booked our Equinox TA March 21, 2008 and at that time we had a $70 pp charge assessed. It has been on our confirmation since then, so if they do put it back on, we will be ok. If not, we will have an extra OBC.

The date for 4th Quarter fuel supplement determination for Royal Caribbean is set for September 17th. I will be interesting to see what happens. A barrel of oil has been pretty consistent at above $65.00 a barrel this summer.

I'll bet they will implement them.

The date for 4th Quarter fuel supplement determination for Royal Caribbean is set for September 17th. I will be interesting to see what happens. A barrel of oil has been pretty consistent at above $65.00 a barrel this summer.

I'll bet they will implement them.

Unless oil spikes to the $80 dollar range by then it is highly unlikely they will implement it for fourth quarter. The economy is still not strong enough for them to tack on such a charge without it deleterious impacting bookings. Also the original fuel surcharge in 2007 did not begin until oil was in the $80s. I am certainly not 100% certain, but I would say it would surprise me if they implement the surcharge for fourth quarter if oil is under $80/barrel.

I called in my FINAL payment today for my Nov. 9th cruise, and it was the amount owed, MINUS the Fuel Surcharge! For my 12 day cruise, that was a big $240.00 I didn't have to pay...YAY!

I'm a happy camper!:D

Take Care!

Jaime

Archived