Navigator wrong for family of 10?

Quester2

(No, not 8 kids.) 3 couples, 2 kids, 2 teens. I have 4 suites on hold on the Navigator for June in Alaska. It's our 50th anniversary, want to take our son, daughter, and their families to Alaska. The free excursions and all-inclusive rates won me to Regent for our first cruise. Now, though, I'm having second thoughts. Will Compass Rose be willing to make a table for all 10 of us? If we can't all have dinner together, it will ruin the trip. Can we all hang out together when we're back from various excursions? (Enough room in 1 suite for a fun cocktail hour? Or in a public space?) These kids are all world travelers; last summer our sone and daughter rented a villa in Italy for all 10 of us. Alaska is one place nobody has been, the excursions sound exciting, but help me out, please. Is this a cruise I should save for just my husband and me and do something else with the whole family?

What do you think?

IMO Navigator will work very well for you. I am sure they can seat 10 in CR and also in Portofino. Enough public spaces to get together. I find it hard to imagine cramming 10 persons into a standard cabin. It can't be done comfortably. You'd need a premium suite to do that. Navigator will be a great deal for families traveling with kids since the kids cruise nearly free. If you don't mind traveling with lots of other kids on an overloaded shiip, go for it. I wouldn't book the trip because I don't like the idea of large numbers of kids on an overloaded ship. That's not the "luxury cruising experience" I seek or that Regent sells most of the time. If I were cruising with kids, I'd do it on one of the large mass market ships that offer a wider range of onboard kids friendly options. Pat

Next January, the Navigator is scheduled for drydock which will replace Portofino with La Veranda and Prime 7 so this will be the situation by the time of your cruise (along with Compass Rose, of course). This will make the restaurant situation quite uniform across Regent except for Signatures on Voyager and Mariner only.

I echo others in that the Navigator will be fine for your group.

I think it should work fine for your family. I personally wouldn't be too concerned about the kids. As much as I too was concerned about a ship full of kids, they were almost invisible and didn't adversly affect my trip at all. Well behaved.

No problem for a table for 10 in CR. Cocktail party in standard cabin will be cozy.

I think it should work fine for your family. I personally wouldn't be too concerned about the kids. As much as I too was concerned about a ship full of kids, they were almost invisible and didn't adversly affect my trip at all. Well behaved.

No problem for a table for 10 in CR. Cocktail party in standard cabin will be cozy.

Have you been on the Navigator? One reason the kids program works on the Mariner is the nice, large, Stars lounge which is a stand alone area. The Navigator does not have such an area, nor does it have a coffee bar area which is also popular with children. The suites, on the other hand, are larger than the Mariner.

Our experience on the Navigator is that when the ship is full, there is no place to sit in the Navigator Lounge. Their largest lounge, Gaileo will also be full when the speaker is discussing what you are viewing in Alaska (note: we were not in Alaska on the Navigator -- this was our experience whenever an event was taking place in Gaileo). Our experience was on cruises with very few children. I'm just trying to envision the "public spaces" on the Navigator. Suppose they could do the kids program in the theater during the day with the small lounge outside of it.:confused:

We had a four generation family cruise on the Mariner to Alaska before Regent began its current marketing as a family cruise option. Our purpose was to cruise as a family and create family memories. A program for children was not a factor in our decision. As well, we were off the ship most days so the ship daytime activities were not important. However, I would not recommend Regent, especially the Navigator, for a family who have children who require constant activity. As others have said, the Navigator is a smaller ship with limited public space. To answer some of your questions, we happily crammed our family of eight into one of the regular cabins on the Mariner for cocktail hour. It's easily done if some are prepared to sit on the floor and the bed as well as on the couch, stool, and chair. Perhaps not what some envision as luxury, but definitely possible and drinks/room service are easily obtained. We loved sharing the events of the day with each other as we chose different excursions. We met with the maitre'd after boarding and discussed seating arrangements. The dining room was happy to set up seating for us when we let them know ahead of time how many people there would be and the time that we planned on going for dinner. They always had a children's selection of meals. They also prepared a birthday celebration with a cake. Hopefully, you have a cruise agent who knows Regent well and you can go and discuss information that you feel is important with him/her. CC is a great site to gather information, but we all have our own opinions and none of us know you or your situation. I would not hesitate to book another multi-generational cruise on Regent on a port intensive itinerary. Regent provided us a fabulous experience.

We were on the Navigator with our multi-generationa family of 13 for the Chrismas cruise a few years back. There were several othr kids on board - they were never intrusive or in the way. The ship was full and the staff went out of their way for the kids. There was never a problem in Compass Rose - we had 2 tables next to each other every night (except when we chose to dine in Potofino). Everyone had a wonderful time and I could not recmmend it highly enoug.

We were on the Navigator with our multi-generationa family of 13 for the Chrismas cruise a few years back. There were several othr kids on board - they were never intrusive or in the way. The ship was full and the staff went out of their way for the kids. There was never a problem in Compass Rose - we had 2 tables next to each other every night (except when we chose to dine in Potofino). Everyone had a wonderful time and I could not recmmend it highly enoug.

When you mention "several other kids on board". . . . do you think it would have been different with 150 kids on board? This summer the Mariner usually had a minimum of 100 children per week on board. The ship that normally carries 700 passengers had close to 800 some weeks. It isn't about children being intrusive, it is about the size of the ship.

A note about the restaurants. I certainly agree that a table of 10 can be set up in Compass Rose. However, the current "Portofino" restaurant will no longer exist (:D) -- part of it will become Prime 7 and part will become La Veranda. A table for 10 may not work in either of these dining venues.

As most have said -- yes -- it is possible to do. And, you could have a great time. It is also possible that Regent learned it's lesson this summer and will keep the passenger total to the advertised limit and not exceed it. IMO, it does not matter what the mix of adults/teens/children are -- as long as there are only 490 passengers on the ship!

Wow. You have all been so generous in offering me your opinions about whether my 3 generations could work well on the Navigator in Alaska.

Mariners, your description of your 4 generations trip was extra valuable--you've done it. TravelCat, Smiling Cruiser, WendytheWanderer, ChatKat, Traveller333, Portolan, and Island Cruiser, I owe you one. I hope I can return the favor some day.

Thanks again.

(No, not 8 kids.) 3 couples, 2 kids, 2 teens. I have 4 suites on hold on the Navigator for June in Alaska. It's our 50th anniversary, want to take our son, daughter, and their families to Alaska. The free excursions and all-inclusive rates won me to Regent for our first cruise. Now, though, I'm having second thoughts. Will Compass Rose be willing to make a table for all 10 of us? If we can't all have dinner together, it will ruin the trip. Can we all hang out together when we're back from various excursions? (Enough room in 1 suite for a fun cocktail hour? Or in a public space?) These kids are all world travelers; last summer our sone and daughter rented a villa in Italy for all 10 of us. Alaska is one place nobody has been, the excursions sound exciting, but help me out, please. Is this a cruise I should save for just my husband and me and do something else with the whole family?

What do you think?

Hi Indymama!

Just got back (yesterday) from a Med Cruise on the Navigator. We met up with two other families that we met here on CC. :) there were ten of us all together. 6 adults, 3 teens and 1 pre-teen. We had dinner together in the Compass Rose many times...we didn't have to pre-arrange anything...just showed up around 8pm and had a table within seconds!

I doubt if you could have a cocktail party for 10 in a regular size suite, however, I had a large suite that would work and that had a connecting suite. Also, one of our new friends had a Grand Suite. Her butler arranged a private cocktail party for us that was over the top and it was one of the highlights of our trip.

If you choose, there are plenty of public places on board to gather a group of 10. Even though our ship was full, it never felt crowded.

All of the kids are well-seasoned world travelers and had a great time. I am sure that yours will too! :) Happy Anniversary!!!

When you mention "several other kids on board". . . . do you think it would have been different with 150 kids on board? This summer the Mariner usually had a minimum of 100 children per week on board. The ship that normally carries 700 passengers had close to 800 some weeks. It isn't about children being intrusive, it is about the size of the ship.

A note about the restaurants. I certainly agree that a table of 10 can be set up in Compass Rose. However, the current "Portofino" restaurant will no longer exist (:D) -- part of it will become Prime 7 and part will become La Veranda. A table for 10 may not work in either of these dining venues.

As most have said -- yes -- it is possible to do. And, you could have a great time. It is also possible that Regent learned it's lesson this summer and will keep the passenger total to the advertised limit and not exceed it. IMO, it does not matter what the mix of adults/teens/children are -- as long as there are only 490 passengers on the ship!

According to several officers onboard the Navigator, the max on board is 520. That is it. 490 may be the "advertised" number, but 520 is the "absolute"

According to several officers onboard the Navigator, the max on board is 520. That is it. 490 may be the "advertised" number, but 520 is the "absolute"

Thanks for that info. I wonder what the "absolute" is for the Mariner. :confused:

I am a doubter regarding the claim that 520 passengers is the maximum on Navigator if this year's kids cruise free example is any indicator. According to Regent's web site, 35 Navigator cabins are furnished with convirtable sofas. If they allowed only one kid per cabin, that would put the maximum at 525. But this year on Mariner, they are allowing two kids per cabin. And the "terms and conditions" for the kids sail free promotion, also on the web site, makes reference to a third and "fourth birth." Regent's actual kids cruise free policy seems to be we'll pack as many kids in as necessary to sell all cabins.

I think all passengers booking a kids cruise free itinerary should be advised that normal ship capacity controls will not apply on these cruises if that is to be the case. Truth in advertising! The extensively and expensively touted favorable staff-to-passenger and space-to-passenger ratios are out the window! Pat

I am a doubter regarding the claim that 520 passengers is the maximum on Navigator if this year's kids cruise free example is any indicator. According to Regent's web site, 35 Navigator cabins are furnished with convirtable sofas. If they allowed only one kid per cabin, that would put the maximum at 525. But this year on Mariner, they are allowing two kids per cabin. And the "terms and conditions" for the kids sail free promotion, also on the web site, makes reference to a third and "fourth birth." Regent's actual kids cruise free policy seems to be we'll pack as many kids in as necessary to sell all cabins.

I think all passengers booking a kids cruise free itinerary should be advised that normal ship capacity controls will not apply on these cruises if that is to be the case. Truth in advertising! The extensively and expensively touted favorable staff-to-passenger and space-to-passenger ratios are out the window! Pat

I did have this conversation with members of the Navigator Crew. Cruise ships have to adhere to industry and safety guidelines. There is only so much room on the lifeboats and this is what dictates passenger control. What you are saying is that Regent will compromise the lives of their passengers and crew. To imply that Regent does not adhere to industry standards is slanderous.

I did have this conversation with members of the Navigator Crew. Cruise ships have to adhere to industry and safety guidelines. There is only so much room on the lifeboats and this is what dictates passenger control. What you are saying is that Regent will compromise the lives of their passengers and crew. To imply that Regent does not adhere to industry standards is slanderous.

You are absolutely correct. But don't let the facts cloud IC's view of the cruise world. They seem completely unaware of industry standards for safety, advertised passenger loads, crew to passenger ratios or space to passenger ratios. Yet they take every possible opportunity to spread this disinformation on these boards. I just believe most readers are smart enough to recognize fact from fiction.

You are absolutely correct. But don't let the facts cloud IC's view of the cruise world. They seem completely unaware of industry standards for safety, advertised passenger loads, crew to passenger ratios or space to passenger ratios. Yet they take every possible opportunity to spread this disinformation on these boards. I just believe most readers are smart enough to recognize fact from fiction.

Jumping in here to defend Pat, who is "he", by the way, not "they".

All he's saying is that the cruise line advertises the number of passengers on board, and also advertise staff to pax ratios. If they add a whole bunch of kids to this, it gets skewed and lessens the "luxury" experience. Period. BTW, why is that slanderous?

(Now if the adult complement is lowered by the number of kids, that would be good, but we know it's also not good business, unless they are really hard up for passengers.)

What you say about industry standards for safety certainly makes sense. However, when passengers on board a cruise ship report the number of passengers on board, and that number far exceeds the advertised passenger load, why would you blame this on the boards? In at least one case, the number of passengers on board was verified by an officer of the ship.

A post only yesterday indicated that a ship is so overbooked that Regent is still offering incentives to rebook on another cruise -- only a week or so before the cruise is suppose to leave.

If there is "disinformation" being spread, it is not coming from these boards. If you are placing blame, you're looking in the wrong place.

Readers, yes.

Goofyisme - If some of us have an agenda, it is simply to suggest that Regent deliver what it advertises. In fact, we do know how to calculate crew to passenger and passenger to space ratios, about both which Regent regularly boasts in its promotional material. Furthermore, Regent describes the number of passengers on Mariner and Voyager as 700, and the number on Navigator as 490. Nowhere does there appear to be any disclaimer or qualifier for that number, such as, "That is the number of guests unless we decide to board 40 or 50 extra guests.".

While you may not consider Regent's statements in its promotional material as advertising, most people would. Here are a few representative quotes from the July, 2009 issue of Voyages:

"The world's first two all-suite, all-balcony ships, Seven Seas Voyager and Seven Seas Mariner, each cater to just 700 guests." Lower on that page at the top of the list of features: "700 guests".

In the list of "Ship Distinctions": "490-700 guests, all-suites, most with balconies".

"...the amenities of much larger ships thanks to their outstanding space ratios."

"With one of the highest crew-to-guest ratios at sea..."

It in entirely reasonable for Regent clients to expect those reference to ratios as being in relation to the repeated statements of 700 and 490 as the number of passengers.

We have 80 days on Regent and another 50 booked for cruising within the next 18 months. We have been on all three ships when the number of passengers approached the advertised capacity and have seen many examples of the crew being stretched quite dramatically, particularly in the restaurants.

Finally, to suggest that the many, many reports this summer of numbers of passengers on Mariner far exceeding 700 are all "fictitious" is preposterous.

As should be clear from the number of days sailed and booked on Regent, we love the line and hope that it will reconsider the decisions made this summer to cruise with many more passengers that the advertised number.

Cheers, Fred

For what it's worth I'll provide an extract of what I posted a couple of weeks ago regarding Navigator PAX loads sans any judgement regarding resulting experience:

"PAX count - Navigator has been full since we left Athens. What does that mean? Turns out the ship can carry, absolute maximum, 868 souls. Therefore, if, because of third and fourth pax in a suite, there happen to be 493 pax (as we have now), three crew must be put off. So in Istanbul we lost a band member, a boutique sales person and one other."

Safety regs refer to "total souls" (not being bibical it's just the term that's used). I have no earthly idea what the total souls count for Mariner or Voyager are or if they are the same. It appears though, when the PAX count exceeds the stated 700 or 490, something gives in terms of crew. Whether or not this impacted those of us on our cruise is clearly a personnal assessment.

Greg

For what it's worth I'll provide an extract of what I posted a couple of weeks ago regarding Navigator PAX loads sans any judgement regarding resulting experience:

"PAX count - Navigator has been full since we left Athens. What does that mean? Turns out the ship can carry, absolute maximum, 868 souls. Therefore, if, because of third and fourth pax in a suite, there happen to be 493 pax (as we have now), three crew must be put off. So in Istanbul we lost a band member, a boutique sales person and one other."

Safety regs refer to "total souls" (not being bibical it's just the term that's used). I have no earthly idea what the total souls count for Mariner or Voyager are or if they are the same. It appears though, when the PAX count exceeds the stated 700 or 490, something gives in terms of crew. Whether or not this impacted those of us on our cruise is clearly a personnal assessment.

Greg

Thank you for posting. I had read about the 493 aboard the Navigator and crew getting off in Istanbul, but was concerned if I wrote about it here, it would not be believed. The way it worked on the Navigator is typical on Regent. The only ship that has been a bit out of control this summer was the Mariner. That is all many of us are asking for -- keeping the "passengers" at or below 700:)

People on this thread might find this interesting: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1042713&page=2 (one of the most recent threads is the number of people on board last week.

Archived