Just got back and open to any questions. The excursions we took were:

1. PWS 6 hour tour / Whittier

2. Dyea Dave in Skagway

3. Harv and Marvs with Steven /Juneau

4. Michelle Island Wings Ketchican

5. Seaveys Iditarod dinner and show / Anchorage

Hi, I am going with Michelle in 3 weeks:D:).....the time is

moving soooo s l o w l y.....;)

Maureen, how was the weather? We will be on the Diamond in less than 2 weeks and still have no idea what clothing to pack.

How did you like the ship and how would you rate the food quality in the MDR?

Maureen, how was the weather? We will be on the Diamond in less than 2 weeks and still have no idea what clothing to pack.

Our weather was really perfect, no rain. But they told us it rained the whole week before, so it's really unpredictable. I basically wore jeans, t shirts, a sweat shirt, and a fleece jacket most of the time. Summer it's not and usually cloudy.

I thought the ship was beautiful. Easy to get around and always clean. We had anytime dining and the food was always good. I wouldn't say the best but really no complaints. I am not very picky when it comes to food. If I don't have to cook it's a plus in my book. The omlettes made fresh at the back pool are really good.

HAVE A GREAT TRIP

Hi, I am going with Michelle in 3 weeks:D:).....the time is

moving soooo s l o w l y.....;)

You will love the trip with Michelle. She's a great pilot and really very nice. If you are prone to motion sickness it wouldn't hurt to take dramamine before you go.

ENJOY

You will love the trip with Michelle. She's a great pilot and really very nice. If you are prone to motion sickness it wouldn't hurt to take dramamine before you go.

ENJOY

Hi Maureen:) I am one of those folks who never gets sick:D

(thankfully)!!!!

tiyana4 - We're (also) on the 29 August Diamond Northbound. We're solving the clothing ??? by overpacking, starting next Sunday!!!! ken

Hmmmm. We were on the NB Diamond Princess 8/1 to 8/8 and had temperatures in the 70's and high 60's and sunshine, and a little rain in Denali after the cruise. There was some haze from the forest fires that lifted nicely for us to see Mount McKinley. Losts of blue skies in the photos.

If you are northbound, the 19.99 jackets in Ketchikan and other ports are great. Warm, water resistant, fleece lined. Nice souvenir with Alaska logo. At the glaciers we wore these with a turtle neck and vest. Many others were on deck in just long sleeve shirts. I stood up front on deck 7 which was quite cool and windy. Great view though.

Have a great cruise. It is amazing.

Our weather was really perfect, no rain. But they told us it rained the whole week before, so it's really unpredictable. I basically wore jeans, t shirts, a sweat shirt, and a fleece jacket most of the time. Summer it's not and usually cloudy.

I thought the ship was beautiful. Easy to get around and always clean. We had anytime dining and the food was always good. I wouldn't say the best but really no complaints. I am not very picky when it comes to food. If I don't have to cook it's a plus in my book. The omlettes made fresh at the back pool are really good.

HAVE A GREAT TRIP

Good info, thanks. I'm not particularly a foodie either, we go for the itineraries, anything else is a bonus. Thanks again.

tiyana4 - We're (also) on the 29 August Diamond Northbound. We're solving the clothing ??? by overpacking, starting next Sunday!!!! ken

Wow, I didn't realize we were on the same sailing. Did you sign up on the roll call? It wasn't as lively as other roll calls, but I did meet some nice folks who are teaming up for shore excursions. As far as the clothing, I think I may take your lead and pack everything I think I might need.:D

Maureen et al.

Curious: We were in Alaska (southbound Seward-Vancouver) on Aug. 3-12. Our weather was fairly miserable (gorgeous in Vancouver day we disembarked), i.e. not a whole lot of rain, and no real downpours, but not a glimmer of sun the whole time. Not windy or overly bitter, but fog, fog, fog. Missed seeing a whole lot-- everything just shades of white and gray. Curious that you were in same area virtually same dates and had great weather.

Maureen et al.

Curious: We were in Alaska (southbound Seward-Vancouver) on Aug. 3-12. Our weather was fairly miserable (gorgeous in Vancouver day we disembarked), i.e. not a whole lot of rain, and no real downpours, but not a glimmer of sun the whole time. Not windy or overly bitter, but fog, fog, fog. Missed seeing a whole lot-- everything just shades of white and gray. Curious that you were in same area virtually same dates and had great weather.

I guess the weather changes drastically daily. The only fog we ever saw was in Skagway going over the summit into Canada. Other then that never. There were usually high clouds and grey but always clear visibility and 60 ish. Not much to complain about for Alaska. Never had rain or drizzle.

Hi Maureen4,

We were on the same cruise. Didn't see a drop of rain until we got back to Mpls. Beautiful sunshine in Ketchikan. Wonderful day in Glacier Bay, we were at the back of the ship by the Oasis Bar and were nice and warm. Saw some girls in their Bikinis! The rest of the spots were cold. The Diamond Princess is a beautiful ship. We had a great time!

I agree. I was on the Diamond (8/8-8/15) and took a raincoat which I didn't need after the first two days. I had to bundle up for College Fjord and the early part of Glacier Bay because it was so windy on Deck 8 forward (you get there by walking forward on the Promenade deck then going up the stairs). I bought a nice scarf in the ship's store for $10 and wore gloves and earmuffs. By the afternoon in Glacier Bay I didn't need a jacket anymore.

I wore a sweatshirt for the whale watch in Juneau and for the tram up Mt. Roberts as well as the train trip in Skagway. I had a turtleneck under a light shirt in Ketchikan and actually had to take it off before I got on the float plane because I was so hot. We spent a half hour just "hanging out" in the Fjords and it was beautiful. Used a wrap on the Crab tour because of the wind but they put on the heaters and once we were in the bay, we didn't need them.

So the advice was correct - pack in layers. The weather was about 60's most of the time but I hear the people on the cruise prior to us had rain and fog.

I agree. I was on the Diamond (8/8-8/15) and took a raincoat which I didn't need after the first two days. I had to bundle up for College Fjord and the early part of Glacier Bay because it was so windy on Deck 8 forward (you get there by walking forward on the Promenade deck then going up the stairs). I bought a nice scarf in the ship's store for $10 and wore gloves and earmuffs. By the afternoon in Glacier Bay I didn't need a jacket anymore.

I wore a sweatshirt for the whale watch in Juneau and for the tram up Mt. Roberts as well as the train trip in Skagway. I had a turtleneck under a light shirt in Ketchikan and actually had to take it off before I got on the float plane because I was so hot. We spent a half hour just "hanging out" in the Fjords and it was beautiful. Used a wrap on the Crab tour because of the wind but they put on the heaters and once we were in the bay, we didn't need them.

So the advice was correct - pack in layers. The weather was about 60's most of the time but I hear the people on the cruise prior to us had rain and fog.

How did you like the float plane? Did you take island wings? I was really nervous. :eek:

Hi,

Glad you had a good time. I have a few quick questions. Did Libby Riddles come aboard your ship? Was it worth making time to see her? Was the covered pool open during the cruise or was the water too cold? Were the hot tubs open? Who did you take the PWS tour with?

Thanks.

Hi and welcome back. Glad you had a nice cruise and decent weather. I was wondering how your tour went with Dyea Dave?

Our tour with Dyea Dave was fantastic. He is a great guy and a fountain of knowledge. We got to our meeting place 15 min. early and he arrived soon after. We picked up three others and we left right on time at 8:00. Scenery was beautiful and lunch at this little stop had good burgers. If you do this tour don't forget your passport as you enter Canada.

Hi,

Glad you had a good time. I have a few quick questions. Did Libby Riddles come aboard your ship? Was it worth making time to see her? Was the covered pool open during the cruise or was the water too cold? Were the hot tubs open? Who did you take the PWS tour with?

Thanks.

Yes Riddles did come aboard, but unfortunately we missed her. She was there at 2:00 and we were on our excursion. I guess they needed her to be done to get her off the ship before sailing. All the pools and hot tubs were open everyday. I'm assuming they weren't too cold because people were in them. I took the Prince William Sound 6 hour tour. It was run very well, but to be honest I felt it was a bit long.

Maureen, the floatplane was a blast. My husband got a little bit queasy when the pilot banked to spot a bear, but otherwise, we were both awed by the view. Island Wings was booked so they referred us to Marty at Alaska SeaPlane Tours. We landed in a cove where we spotted a bear but the bear took off into the woods. We stayed for a while, watching the salmon swim around the plane and took in the beauty. On the way back, the pilot flew above the mountains so we could see the ice caps. I was surprised at how many hidden ponds and lakes are that high up. We both said we would do floatplane again and, having already done College Fjords and Glacier Bay via water it was a different perspective on the landscape. You can see where the logging occurs and it's a bit disturbing - like a wound on the landscape - but it's very spread out and from the air you can see how vast the forest is. The take off and landing were so smooth you don't feel it. Only 6 people in the plane.

There was a mix-up. Because of fog the floatplane tour was late returning with the first tour group, and the other 4 people on our tour waited by the ship instead of going to the pick-up point so the driver had to go back and find them. So don't schedule things too tightly. We were rushing to get to the Crab tour at 2pm.

I saw the tail end of Libby Riddle's presentation. Several people said she brought two of her dogs with her but by the time I arrived back on the ship, they were already gone. Did buy several of her books and had them autographed and had my picture taken with her. Noticed that the ship then played a repeat of her talk on closed circuit TV. Just my luck that I discovered it and turned it on at the same point at which I had walked into the auditorium. (sigh). She had a packed crowd and a long line to talk to her afterwards.

The covered pool was open the entire cruise. The water was heated in all the pools (I didn't swim but dipped my hands in). There are several hot tubs at each pool location and those were open as well. The only exception were the hot tubs at the very back of the boat (behind the Horizon court) - those were covered two days (not sure why) but the pools were open.

I didn't know the ship had a tennis court. My daughter would enjoy that!

Archived