Insurance for Rough Seas?

ramby

I am contemplating booking a cruise on either the Majesty or Monarch to the Bahamas. This is my 2nd cruise (first one was 18 years ago on a Carnival ship, and I was not a fan). I am worried about rough seas due to hurricane season (seasickness, etc.).

Is there any insurance that allows you to cancel your trip once the trip has already commenced for any reason? Obviously, I would only hope to be compensated for unused portion of trip and change in airfare. Or is this wishful thinking? Thanks so much!

First of all, welcome to Cruise Critic! I don't think there is any insurance that would let you cancel for any reason once the cruise started. The companies would probably go bust! Just take some meds for seasickness in case you need it.

If your last cruise was 18 years ago, I imagine you will find many many changes, one of the positive ones being that the ships are much larger, and have very good stabilizing technology. If the weather is bad, they will try to avoid it at all costs. I agree with the previous poster, that there is probably not an insurance company out there with what you are looking for, but if you take some meds (or ginger, it is natural and works great), you will have a wonderful cruise!

I am contemplating booking a cruise on either the Majesty or Monarch to the Bahamas. This is my 2nd cruise (first one was 18 years ago on a Carnival ship, and I was not a fan). I am worried about rough seas due to hurricane season (seasickness, etc.).

Is there any insurance that allows you to cancel your trip once the trip has already commenced for any reason? Obviously, I would only hope to be compensated for unused portion of trip and change in airfare. Or is this wishful thinking? Thanks so much!

If its really a concern then try booking a room in the middle of the ship, probably on a lower deck. You will feel less movement there. You probably will be just fine. They will steer clear of weather or stay in and/or come in to Nassau much later/earlier to avoid and hide from weather. Weather can get kind of bad near Coco Cay. They want you to have the smoothest ride possible.

If there were such insurance, and there is almost always some company that is willing to insure the most unusual situations, the price for the policy would probably be astronomical. If you have such serious concerns you are probably better off sailing when rough seas are less likely. However, be aware that there are no guarantees with the weather and rough seas can be encountered regardless of the season or the region where you are sailing. Modern cruise ships are well equipped with stabilizers which will minimize motion caused by high seas but no stabilizer will eliminate it completely if the seas are high or rough enough. There are even some of us who actually enjoy a bit of motion when they are at sea.:D

I have insurance that covers leaving your vacation when it has already started, but it's only for medical condition or in case something bad happened with family members who staid at home.

It doesn't cover seasickness. Or bad weather.

Am I nuts to try to book an outside room on Deck 2 or 3--they would have a porthole vs. a window? Are those decks submerged so you just see ocean? Sorry to sound like such a newbie!! Just want to avoid motion!

I've been on deck 2 and had an outside cabin with a porthole. Not underwater at all! If you are midship, your sailing will be smoother. We sailed the Sovereign (same ship as monarch and majesty) last year during a hurricane and they diverted and we had a wonderful cruise and smooth sailing.

No, the windows are not below the water line (unless you have very rough seas ;)).

Both Majesty and Monarch are older ships, well kept, but older. You will find the cabins to be rather small, so pack accordingly. We cruised on Monarch several times over the years she was in S. California and came to love her and her crew. Our last 2 cruises on her was in an SO category and I wish we would have paid for an SO on more of our Monarch cruises. There is a huge difference between a cabin that is 122 sq. ft. and one that is 157 sq. ft. both in living space and storage.

We also prefer the higher decks, I don't notice any less movement on lower decks that others claim, if the ocean is rough you will feel it everywhere. We would book deck 3 over deck 2 any day, we felt like we were relegated to the basement on deck 2.

If your last cruise was 18 years ago, I imagine you will find many many changes, one of the positive ones being that the ships are much larger, and have very good stabilizing technology. If the weather is bad, they will try to avoid it at all costs. I agree with the previous poster, that there is probably not an insurance company out there with what you are looking for, but if you take some meds (or ginger, it is natural and works great), you will have a wonderful cruise!

True, but this person is contemplating going on Majesty (built in 1992 .. 17 years ago) and Monarch (built in 1991 .. 18 years ago) and they don't have the fancy computerized stabilizers like the newer ships that you mentioned, but they do have stabilizers and I have never had a problem.

To me the Bahamas never really gets that rough anyway since it has swallower waters and many various islands to break it up. Now if you're in the middle of the open ocean without any land around, it would be a different story.

Wave Insurance:

Less than 3 feet - No money back

4-6 feet - No money back

6-9 feet- – No money back

>10 feet - No money back

Insurance cost – The price of the cruise plus airfare!

Honestly if you’re worried, take some medication or even Ginger products to be on the safe side.

Your best insurance is to take along some Bonine (meclizine), along with Ginger capsules.

Take the meclizine the morning before you actually sail, and keep taking some everyday. My husband takes 1/2 tablet everyday after the first day. Taking one or more will make you sleepy, but chewing just half a tablet each morning will do you wonders. My husband also takes a Ginger capsule a day. I don't need anything except for the first day, and then only if the seas are really rough. :)

Archived