How bad is tendering to the port when there are several ships in port?

Crystalbast

I just noticed that there will be 4 ships in port when we are there Thanksgiving Week (4 Carnival and a ship from another line). Has anybody been there when there have been a lot of ships? How bad will it be to tender to the pier and back to the ship?

I am booked to snorkel with Nativeway Watersports but am seriously reconsidering. I would imagine that the Stingray sandbar will be way beyond packed. Would it be better to either stay on the ship for that port or just do a land tour (I am considering Pedro St. James and Botanical Park).

The tendering is not that bad, only around winter time when there are the northwest winds and you get choppy to rough seas in the harbor. Yes, Stingray City may be packed at that time, but the problem with going to Stingray City is that you may not make it back to the Cruise Terminal in time, as the docking facilities for Stingray City is located on 7 Mile Beach which is about 10 minutes away (with no traffic) and with about 4 ships in that day, traffic going back to the Cruise Terminal may take approx. 30 minutes, and you would have to wait in line when at the Cruise Terminal. The Botanical Park really has nothing to offer unless you're interested in the flora & fauna. Pedro St. James offers the history of the islands and the first democratic movement. You could do a tour around the island and enjoy the beautiful scenery or visit Boatswain's Beach, also known as the Turtle Farm.

Looks like 5 ships for me in January - Century, Liberty of the Seas, Carnival Conquest, Costa Fortuna and Crystal Symphony.

And all I want to do is find a quiet spot on 7-mile Beach!!

I'll throw it out while I'm here - we have enjoyed Nachi Cocum in Cozumel these past two January's. Now that we're booked on the Century, am asking those who might be familiar with Nachi if there is something similar in GC

When we were there, I think we had just as many ships.

The actual tender part was a snap. Each ship obviously has their own tenders and their own area at the dock where to go and get on the tender back to the ship. Very easy to see and do.

As for crowdedness on land, I really didn't notice it. Everyone is going in all directions and doing different things. So you may have a large crowd somewhere, it just won't be so large and unbearable. Only place I noticed more crowdedness were at the dock shops.

We were there the day before Thanksgiving last year. We had no problem going on the Nativeway RRR Tour and returning in time--best excursion of the cruise. In fact, we had to make a couple of stops (we booked privately) at local hotels to drop off folks that were doing land vacations. No worries. Book it and enjoy it!

there were 3 in port last week so we were nervous about meeting our non-carnival tour at 8:15. We got down to the tendering ticket room a little after 7:00 and there was no wait at all. Walked right on to a tenderboat. We were really early for our tour. :D

FYI - Carnival Freedom DOES change its clock during daylight savings, so keep that in mind. But as long as you're up early, you'll have no problem making a non-ship tour.

• 1 month later...

I was there a few years ago and there were 7 ships. It didnt seem busy until it was time to leave. Traffic to the pier was crazy. :( People were leaving their taxis and running to get in time for the last tender. Sting Ray City was busy but I had never been there so I didnt know any different but others who had been there said it wasnt nearly as nice as when less ships are in port.

Archived