October Barbados to Panama

cruisingbarb

Cruisingbarb, as far as I know the Flyer will be in and around Tahiti till February 14, 2010. She will then start the repositioning cruise from Tahiti to Lisbon, Europe. The summer will be spend in Europe and in October she will do the Transatlantic and during the winter season she will sail in Costa Rica. So the Barbados to Panama cruise in 2010 will be her first, as far as I know. The first leg of the repositioning cruise will be from Tahiti to Panama (sold out), the second leg will be Panama - St. Maarten and from St. Maarten to Lisbon will be the 3rd leg.

From Panama to St. Maarten we will not go to Barbados, which I would love to do, since we could catch up with the Royal, and do a race, but no, not this time, pity.

Sorry I can't give you the requested info, but I am planning to write a cruise blog for my upcoming trip. Have to learn how in the meantime though.

Pralientje

You are right. I looked at the schedule wrong. Has the Star Flyer done the Barbados to Panama cruise in the past, and if so, has anyone done it and can share information?

Hi Barb...we did the Barbados to Panama (17 days) in 2007 aboard Star Flyer, and I continued on to Tahiti with 36 others on the "no-frills" portion of the repositioning. We stopped in the Grenadines; an island group off venezuela; Curacao; Cartegena, Colombia; Panama's San Blas Islands; and a night passage (better than day!) through the Canal to Balboa. We spent three days in Panama City.

There is an old thread about this trip.

I haven't seen any 2010 itinerary, but would assume that it would be similar. Our current plans only include a possible Athens-Venice voyage next year on the Clipper.

Cheers, :cool:

Bob & Beatrice

Has the Star Flyer done the Barbados to Panama cruise in the past, and if so, has anyone done it and can share information?

Barb, here is our posted review from the last time::D

The cruise was quite wonderful...and everything we expected. From Oistens Fish Fry in Barbados to the exciting transit of the canal...we had a great time. The sailing was magnificent...we were heeled over most days...one night off Panama the plates were flying, but that was our only rough weather. We had a total of 149 passengers...technically full since all cabins were occupied...from US, UK, Canada, Germany, France, Switzerland, Australia, New Zealand, and Antigua. Fifty five, from all countries, were alumni of the old Antigua Regatta cruises on Star Clipper.

The ship was trying to use up all it's stores before the shipyard and French Polynesia. All heavier clothing was on sale at deep discounts. There was talk of mutiny when the ship ran out of Mt. Gay rum four days after Barbados.

The only negative was the extreme heat and humidity...both in the 90's. It was blisteringly hot at sea, after Curacao, with many canvas awnings set in an attempt at more shade. But ashore in Cartegena and San Blas was the worst. We were in Cartegena on Colombia's Independence Day...parades, bands, everyone out in their finery, and a photo of Star Flyer on the front page of the local paper. But even in the shade, sweat would be running off every extremity and into your socks. But what a party.

Evenings were cool and breezy, and we always sailed off the anchor. In fact, Capt. Brunon sailed as much as he could.

We spent a full day in Cristobal prepping for the transit; being inspected; and installing gps/epirb type gear so they could track us through the canal. At first we were disappointed to be making the transit at night...but the night passage was awesome, with the canal lit up like Las Vegas. Many signal lights guided the pilots, and our searchlights were used to scan the shoreline especially through the Gaillard Cut. The many passing ships were also all lit up for the transit. We were in company with a Malaysian sail training ship (a fully rigged brigantine), with a full complement of uniformed students.

Most passengers ate dinner while crossing Gatun Lake, then gathered again around the bridge for the remainder of the night. Beatrice and I lasted till about 3am, and went to bed while crossing the short Miraflores Lake. Star Flyer docked at Pier 6 in Balboa, disembarked passengers and contiued on to the shipyard at 10am.

We spent two more days in Panama City at the El Panama Hotel...ate well...and bought a stash of Fine Cuban Cigars for Christmas presents. The Panama Canal Museum, in the old city plaza was the highlight...we spent four hours there.

Back to Panama on Tuesday (12/3) for the next leg of the adventure...on to Tahiti with 37 passengers and 76 crew.

Here is a story that was on the wires this week: 11/20/07

USA: Star Clippers ship makes line's first transit of Panama Canal

Monday, 19 November 2007

"Star Flyer" made history for Star Clippers yesterday as the first ship

in the fleet to transit the Panama Canal. En route to its new homeport

in Tahiti, the tall ship first will undergo a three-week drydock in

Balboa, Panama to make the vessel ready for French Polynesia.

With the line's three vessels sailing in the Caribbean, Mediterranean

and Far East (by way of the Suez Canal), there had never before been a

need for Star Clippers' ships to transit the Panama Canal. Star

Flyer's move to year-round cruising in Tahiti enabled Star Clippers to

take advantage of the opportunity to sail a ship through the lakes and

locks of the man-made engineering marvel.

"Our guests tend to be on the more adventurous side, and we're always

thrilled when we can offer them an exhilarating experience such as

transiting the Panama Canal," said Jack Chatham, vice president of

sales and marketing for Star Clippers.

• 4 months later...

I just discovered this thread - am thrilled to discover info on the Panama Canal trip this fall, since my husband and I are booked on it. VTBobby - what were the dates of your trip? Looks like from the newspaper post it was early November, a few days later than our Oct. 31 departure from Barbados. I am not thrilled with the heat you are describing... do you know whether it was typical for the time of year, or an unusual heat wave?

I am going back to see if I can discover the old posts from 2007 for more info, but not being much of a pro using this forum, don't know if I can. but any info on the trip you can share, I would love to get.

CruisingBarb, did you decide to go?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We're taking a Mexican cruise 2/21 on RCCL and are planning on a Caribbean cruise next February. After that, I think we'll look at a riverboat cruise in Europe or Russia. Like the smaller boats but price also comes into play so may have to look at the bigger ships for awhile.

• 1 month later...
Too bad.:( Hope you have some other good cruisin lined up!

Hope I can find somemore folks on the Oct. 31 Star Flyer cruise.

Hi DocH2O

My wife and I also will be on the Barbados to Balboa Star Flyer trip in Oct/Nov 2010. For us this will be following to the Flyer Transatlantic to Barbados leaving Cannes on October 2nd. This will be our third crossing, previously on the Clipper in 2004 and the Royal in 2008. Those were both wonderful experiences. We're really looking forward to being on the Flyer for about 6 weeks this time!! Sounds too good to be true. Prior to our 2004 crossing I had made contact with a fellow passenger via Cruise Critic. We enjoyed her company along with her husband during the cruise. It was fun to compare notes as the time approached.

We will be taking this cruise as a back to back with the transatlantic from Cannes to Barbados. Having done crossings on both the Royal and the Clipper we enjoyed the smaller ship and have been looking for an opportunity to do it again. Were booked on the last Flyer Atlantic crossing in 2007 but had to cancel at the last minute for medical reasons (48 hours before our flight)....huge disappointment!!

When the new itinerary came out last year we jumped at the chance to take the Flyer crossing followed by the Barbados to Panama leg and have been booked since last summer.

I see the ship is almost sold out so I'm glad we started early. Since our first time on the Clipper, about 2002, we have vowed never again to consider any other kind of cruising and we're so looking forward to 6 weeks.

Are you planning on being aboard?

Hi DocH2O

My wife and I also will be on the Barbados to Balboa Star Flyer trip in Oct/Nov 2010. For us this will be following to the Flyer Transatlantic to Barbados leaving Cannes on October 2nd. This will be our third crossing, previously on the Clipper in 2004 and the Royal in 2008. Those were both wonderful experiences. We're really looking forward to being on the Flyer for about 6 weeks this time!! Sounds too good to be true. Prior to our 2004 crossing I had made contact with a fellow passenger via Cruise Critic. We enjoyed her company along with her husband during the cruise. It was fun to compare notes as the time approached.

This is just our second Star Clipper trip - first was transatlantic on the Royal Clipper last fall. We loved it. I'm so jealous - 6 weeks sailing!

Where are you from? We are from Colorado - far from the sea!

This is just our second Star Clipper trip - first was transatlantic on the Royal Clipper last fall. We loved it. I'm so jealous - 6 weeks sailing!

Where are you from? We are from Colorado - far from the sea!

DocH2O - Home for us is Cape Cod in Massachusetts, very near the water. I am writing this from Florida where we've spent 3 months in the winter for many years to keep warm.... but not this year when it has been cool to cold (for Florida) most of the time we've been here.

I think I came across a place where you had posted a picture show of your crossing. I only looked for a short while and was very impressed. Can't remember where it is so perhaps you'd provide the site....I'd love to spend more time enjoying them.

You obviously enjoyed the Royal as did we. We decided that we prefer the smaller ships, mainly because they are a bit more intimate with fewer passengers. I expect you will also enjoy your time on the Flyer. It's been a while since our early SC cruises in the Carribbean and it will be fun this time to have some water/beach opportunities that are pretty much unavailable during a crossing.

Hello grampylo - I have been in Florida twice in the last month - just back from the second trip. At least it was sunny, but windy and cool. First trip in February was cold and rainy.

Guess we can be sure it won't be cold and rainy on the trip from Barbados to Panama!

I'll get you the link to my photoshows and post in a bit. I always have to search a bit to figure how to send old shows to folks.

OK - here is the link to one of the photoshows I did. This one coveres from Safi, Morroco, to Marakeesh and back and on to Tenerife

http://www.photoshow.com/watch/Pv9js2TF

There is one more done - the beginning of the trip from Lisbon to Casablanca. The final one - of the transatlantic crossing - is not done although I do have many of the photos edited. but still more work to do on that one.

Wow!! Your picture shows are wonderful....great photography and editing. We did the same crossing in 2008 so they brought back so many great memories. I really look forward to seeing the Crossing portion when you get it completed.

We particularly enjoyed hearing 'The Conquest of Paridise' in Lisbon. I have the recording and when I want to get into a Star Clipper mood I will listen to it. ...the sails rising on the smaller ships is also very impressive, in some ways even more so than the Royal because the sails seem more expansive as they go up.

Have you discovered any other passengers on the Flyer this fall.....either for the Barbados to Panama leg or perhaps the Atlantic crossing?

I will look into how I might share some of my Star Clipper pictures from our 2004 crossing. It won't be anywhere near as professional as what you've done, but they might help to get acquainted with the ship before you board.

It was really pretty difficult to get the "Conquest of Paradise" music into the show, but I knew it would make it so much better than without. It screwed up the continuity on some of the video clips, but overall was worth it.

I am not in contact with anyone else who is going on the trip, but I am sure there are more on this forum; I hope they make themselves known to us.

Do you know about Pralientje's blog? She is on the Flyer right now, on its way back from Tahiti. She hasn't posted for a while because they are mid-ocean (March 2 was the last post), but there are some pictures of the Flyer there, and it is interesting to read her commentary on life on the ship. http://pralientje.blogspot.com/

I lied when I said there is no one on the forum on the trip - I have been in contact with Rimau who is going, but that was in January and I haven't heard from him since and temporarily forgot about it. Sorry. Search on "Star Flyer" and you will find that thread - it starts with a post by me about only one cabin being left.

We are Geoff Bruce and Harriet Hall, from Arvada, CO. So that is 8 in all so far.

Who else is out there?

Rimau, you are just back from a cruise I think. How was it?

Hi All.....we are 'Lo' and Jan from Cape Cod and look forward to meeting you in Barbados. As I've reported in earlier posts, we will be boarding the Flyer in Cannes for a transatlantic crossing before arriving in Barbados. I may start a new thread looking for people on the crossing portion of our trip and will try to reference this thread in case anyone I find is also continuing on to Panama.

Harriet....you mentioned 'Pralientje' in an earlier posting. I'm pretty sure she was on board during our Star Clipper transatlantic in 2004.....we were all at the Captain's table for the final dinner....as I recall I think she is Dutch. I've attached a picture of that dinner. 'Pralientje' is sitting next to Captain Sergey on his right (Heidi is on his left)...we are in the foreground....She was an active passenger so I will check out her blog for the current transpacific trip.....her 66 days beats our 43 on the Flyer this fall and sounds really great.

655070406_IMG_0651-StarClipperCrossing2004.jpg.a7b8c9879d9e9ceb29a36c1d1093efbc.jpg

In her pictures on the blog, Pralientje is wearing a mustache, goatee, and hook for pirates night, so it is a bit difficult to tell, but that looks like her. And that is Capt. Sergey who was the Royal Clipper captain on our transatlantic trip. I thought he was really wonderful. I have some nice pictures of him from our trip. If I knew how to post an individual picture I'd post one, but I don't know how. How do you do it?

I will follow your post about the transatlantic trip as well, with jealousy. Sometime I'll be retired and hopefully able to do longer trips. but not yet ;) I am really looking forward to the two weeks plus three days in Panama.

Yes, we were on Holland America in the Sea of Cortez. We like Holland fairly well. The food is good and it is a bit sedate compared to Carnival and Princess. We prefer Princess for big ship cruising but have cruised Holland America twice because of this itinerary.

Archived