Medium Priced Restaurants Near Trevi

dmk

Hi!

I read a wonderful thread here about 4* restos in this area. Could someone recommend more mid priced Restos for someone on a budget?

My hotel parlamento is located in the trevi/ Spanish Steps area.

That is a difficult part of Rome to find a decent restaurant at reasonable prices. In our experience (40 years of international travel) your best bet might be to simply ask your hotel concierge or front desk clerk for recommendations. In Rome, some of our best meals resulted from simply listening to hotel employees who know the neighborhood.

Hank

There are a great number of restaurants in the vicinity, either toward the Pantheon or toward the Spanish steps. Almost all of them post a menu out front so that you can not only see what appeals to you but also what the prices are.

Unfortunately, in my experience the closer a restaurant is to a major tourist location (e.g., Trevi or the Pantheon), the more you'll pay for your meal -- and often, although not always, the more lacklustre the food actually is. Stroll down some of the side streets a bit away from these areas and you should have more luck.

Several years ago I had a wonderful lunch in a restaurant a block away from the Trevi Fountain.

It's between the fountain and the staircase that goes up to Piazza del Quirinale. From the fountain you walk one block (eastbound, I think - I get a little off on my directions in the center of Rome) along Via del Lavatore, then turn right onto Vicolo Scanderberg.

The restaurant is Piccolo Arancia, #112 Vicolo Scanderberg, on the left.

I think alot depends on what you order too...... on our last trip I ordered a wonderful caprese (buffalo mozzarella, ripe tomato, basil and balsamic vinegar) and a delightful bread with cheese melted on top with an anchovie buried in it. This was my dinner. It was so good - we went back to the same restaurant again (Di Rienzo in the Piazza della Rotunda - Pantheon) and again sat outside and I ordered the same thing !!!!

Here is another one we ate at while staying at the Hotel Mozart which is right down the street from the Spanish Steps. More moderately priced and good food.

http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187791-d1098124-Reviews-Pizzeria_San_Marco-Rome_Lazio.html

Ciao :D

Can't go wrong with the Rick Steves Rome guidebook. I've rarely been disappointed in his recommendations.

I disagree! We do think the Rick Steves guides are about the best on the market...with the exception of restaurant recommendations. Here is the problem. They sell millions of Rick Steves guides and also have a lot of travelers reading their excellent web pages. When Rick Steves recommends a small cute "local" cafe or restaurant (probably true at the time they write the guide) this is now known by every traveler who reads the guides or website. So, now that cute little cafe is going to be full of tourists (all with their copy of Rick Steves guide book) which means that the locals start avoiding the new tourist restaurant. As to the restaurants, they often raise their prices and even change menus to serve items more popular with tourists. Also keep in mind that there is often a several year lag between the time they write the Rick Steve guide and you actually see the book. During that interval, things have changed including change of ownership. This is why we continue to recommend that folks check with their hotels for the latest info on local places and also spend some time checking various sites on the internet (such as tripadvisors formums) for the latest restaurant reviews and recommendations. There are other problems with restaurants and eating places listed in guide books. Just about every book on Italy will tell you to get gelato at Vivoli in Florence. This is probably the most famous gelato place on earth, and you now generally have to wait in line to get an overpriced, under portioned gelato. But, we have found many other places in Florence that have better or comparable gelato (this is a personal preference) at lower prices and without lines

Hank

• 1 month later...

Archived