Bad Reviews From Cranky People

lushou

Anyone else tired of the bad reviews (here on CC and on TripAdvisor) from cranky people? I know that not everyone is happy all the time. However, some of the things that people complain about just astound me! The sense of entitlement that some people have is way out of whack. There are 3000+ passengers on a cruise ship. Please realize (not realise as some people spell it in their reviews) that whatever biases, expectations, and personal experiences you hold, are going to impact your experience on the cruise. My wife and I are happy-go-lucky and laid back. When things don't go perfectly, we laugh and get over it.

K:D

Isn't that the way it always is? People will tell a few about a good experience and everyone about a bad. You just have to consider the source.

Don't get me started on entitlement! We are raising a whole generation who feel entitled! Another topic for another day.

I actually enjoy reading the bad reviews more than the good ones. It's always an eye opener as to what "ruins" a vacation for some people. I just smile and assume they were having a bad day. (either the poster or the crew)

Realize that some people are just chronic complainers - this seems to be what makes them happy.

We once sat at a lunch table with a single elderly man and he complained about everything and how HAL does everything better than Princess - I asked him why he was here and he answered "why, the price of course" and continued to complain.

Another lunchtime episode - a gentlemen was complaining because there was no sugar on the table - I called a waiter over and requested some and he brought it. I handed it to the complainer and he said " why are you handing that to me, I don't use it". I asked him why he was complaining about it and he answered "well it just should be on the table for anyone that wants it.

Go figure.

Ron

I actually enjoy reading the bad reviews more than the good ones. It's always an eye opener as to what "ruins" a vacation for some people. I just smile and assume they were having a bad day. (either the poster or the crew)

Yep. Those always make me laugh. I love when people are upset that they had to wait in line to get into the cruise terminal for embarkation. HEY! DON"T SHOW UP WHEN EVERYONE ELSE IS! hahaha

There are some people who just love to complain. They think it gets them attention. You know, the squeaky wheel and all that..... Anyway, on one Princess cruise (the Golden out of New Orleans several years ago) one person was complaining about the cruise and I asked if it was his first. He said he'd cruised on Carnival's Holiday many times (short cruises out of Mobile) and it was so much better. I told him he should stick with what he likes and stop complaining and spoiling everyone else's fun. Didn't hear another word out of him.

Great point about the squeaky wheel. I've always thought the following:

Who wants to be a squeaky wheel? Wouldn't you rather be a wheel that is well oiled, running smoothly, and doesn't need to bother someone else to do the oiling? Just a thought.:)

Hi lushou,

I realise that you spell the word realize but we spell it realise. This is just the same as we spell personaliser and you spell it personalizer.:p

I feel a song coming on.:D

Now what were you saying about cranky reviews.;)

Hi lushou,

I realise that you spell the word realize but we spell it realise. This is just the same as we spell personaliser and you spell it personalizer.:p

GOOD JOB! I threw that in there for a little comic relief and to see if anyone would catch it. Cheers!

Anyone else tired of the bad reviews (here on CC and on TripAdvisor) from cranky people? I know that not everyone is happy all the time. However, some of the things that people complain about just astound me! The sense of entitlement that some people have is way out of whack. There are 3000+ passengers on a cruise ship. Please realize (not realise as some people spell it in their reviews) that whatever biases, expectations, and personal experiences you hold, are going to impact your experience on the cruise. My wife and I are happy-go-lucky and laid back. When things don't go perfectly, we laugh and get over it.

K:D

Since you started the English lesson... do you realize that the English (and maybe some other nationalities, I'm not sure) spell some words differently than we Americans? Such as realise.

Edited to say: Darn, I see other posters beat me to this. Sorry to repeat.

Can we stop complaining about spelling and go back to complaining about complainers ;)

Sure, of course, quite right: I HATE complainers! All they do is nit-pick about really trivial things. Complainers really bug me and ruin my cruise and my day and my life, in general. ;)

Anyone else tired of the bad reviews (here on CC and on TripAdvisor) from cranky people? I know that not everyone is happy all the time. However, some of the things that people complain about just astound me!

I feel bad when I read a review that is not positive because it means a fellow cruiser did not enjoy his cruise. For some people a cruise is a major expense that may have been looked forward to for quite some time. To come away so disappointed after spending a lot of money on, perhaps, their only vacation of the year is a sad situation IMHO.

I feel CC boards are a place where we can relate our wonderful and not so wonderful experiences to our fellow cruisers. Who are we to judge whether something important to someone else is valid.

If you're tired of reading negative reviews, don't read them. It's a simple as that.

Lew

When someone posts their review on one of the active boards then others have the opportunity to comment and agree or disagree.

I get frustrated when I read a review in the review section and see that someone has given a cruise a thumbs down because of their own stupidity, ignorance or issues beyond the ship's control like weather or flight problems.

The only bad reviews that annoy me are the "first" post of a poster that is a bad review! I have wondered how they find these boards imply for their one-time post of a bad review. So I never respond to first time poster with the bad review but so many get into it not realizing that most likely it is a troll and often that poster has not even taken the cruise that they review!

You make the cruise what you want it to be. If you have to complain all the time is it really worth leaving your house!!!!!! I love everything and anything we do while were cruising. I'll be darned if after paying out my hard earned money that I'm gonna have a bad time. So enjoy it all as it does come to an end soon enough!!!!!

Hi lushou,

Next thing you are going to tell me is that "lifts" are not things people put in shoes to make them appear taller!

lift = boost = steal.

I don't really think we should try and list all the differences in the English language. We'll never get out of here, particularly if all the regional differneces are added into the mix.

This is one reason why I rarely read reviews anymore. Those that 'feel' their cruise was ruined seem to write more reviews then those that enjoyed their cruise (IMHO).

When I do read them, after reading two or three little pety complaints (and they begin to turn into whines), that is enough for me, not even wasting my time reading the rest of it, as you know that they allowed a few little problems to annoy them so greatly, they spoiled the rest of the cruise for themselves. And on top of it, they rarely explain how or if they attempted to have these minor annoyances taken care of onboard, it is more like they need something to complain about.

I would much rather rely on comments here on the CC Princess board from those just returning from a cruise, then to read a 5 page review full of pety complaints. (Don't get me wrong, no cruise is perfect, and I understand that. But why dwell on something if you didn't try to fix the problem onboard, or if it can't be fixed, just let it go and have fun).

Amen ToTo.

A cruise is going to be what you make of it. It is by no means any fault of Princess or any other cruise line that the weather was bad, you had flight problems, etc..... I hate it when someone says everything and all the food on the ship was horrible. Sure there were things I tried and didn't care for. It's a no-brainer.....I just didn't eat it again. There is no way I would let that ruin my cruise.

Some people aren't happy unless they are complaining. Their glass is always half empty.

Archived