Bad Reviews From Cranky People

lushou

Dogs have a way of bringing out the best in MOST people!

Yes, they do and when you walk or wheel into the public arena with one......the reactions are varied.

You must always be prepared for the folks who think that dogs belong in the backyard, tethered to a tree!

This is making me nervous that my friend and I are going to get seated with obnoxious people at dinner...eep :eek:

If you find that you are.....simply approach the Matre d' and request a change.

He/she will do all they can to make you happy!

We were once at a table with a gentleman (loose term) and his wife who specifically stated that he did not want to eat with a certain ethnic group.......we were shocked! Because, WE were that ethnic group! He just didn't recognize us as such!

You can't believe how I had to hold DH back from bopping the guy on the nose!!!!!! We didn't know, then, that you could ask for a table change [it was our very first cruise] or we would have changed in a heartbeat!!!!! :rolleyes:

I hate it when people complain about stupid stuff. You know, "I can't believe they offered to sell me bottled water! How rude!" But when they're saying the food is lousy or they nearly came to blows to be permitted to go through customs (see recent stories about Princess in St. Petersburg), it's definitely a concern.

Yes, they do and when you walk or wheel into the public arena with one......the reactions are varied.

You must always be prepared for the folks who think that dogs belong in the backyard, tethered to a tree!

I just discovered this thread and I can not tell you how much I enjoyed and laughed.

Wizrd of Roz....my daugter has Secondary MS...She will not get worse but she will not get better. It affecrs her balance. She also has a service dog or as we say companion. This dog is her prized English Mastaff, Golith. When she was diagnosed and realized that she would always have problems with her balance, she entered Golith in Companion School. Golith graduated with honors and is her companion. He is one of the few English Mastaff Companions on the East Coast. He is wonderful and helps her so much. What is funny is that when she goes to a mall, everyone sidesteps her as Golith is so huge. He weighs about 250 lbs, but is indeed a gentle giant. I don't know what she would do without him. The love between her and Golith is really something to see.

Now for the review part. I also agree that it amaizes me that people on the same cruise would write completely different reviews. One with a 5 star plus and the other on the same cruise a two star. I also wonder if they were on the same cruise. I just shake my head and laugh. My nieghber had friends go on a cruise and the husband did nothing but complain about anything and everything. He was most upset becasue they couldn't get into Glasier Bay, there was too much ice for the ship to get in, so they went to Tracey Arm instead. The captain explained all this, but he just went on and on about how Princess did not live up to his expectations. But then I had to consider the source. This man wouldn't be happy with anything. He is only happy when he is complaining.

Some people will complain about anything. I don't go with any expectations and usually find that any expections I do have are more than met. I have staid in Inside Cabins, Balconies and Mini-Suits. All have been wonderful as far as I am concerned. Just the fact that I can get away from the hum drum of everyday work is enough for me.

I will be going to Alaska in 5 days on a pre-cruise and sailing on the Sapphire Princess on September 12th. I am really looking forward to this as it will be my second Alaskan Cruise. I know that I am going to enjoy every minute of it.

Happy Cruising Everyone!

Smiles........Kitty (Nan)

The first time I looked up a hotel on Trip Advisor I had booked, I was horrified to read

how horrible it was. It was too late to change, but we checked in anyway, very

reluctantly. None of what I read was true, it was delightful.

Same thing with my Copenhagen hotel. Booked it because of its proximity to the Central

Train Station. Reviews were about 60-40 bad. I'll find out in September, but I'm counting

on finding out the reviewers were biased.

Same thing with cruises, you read all the awful things, and how Princess has gone

down hill.......it could turn away prospective sailors. I plan to have a wonderful time

on Emerald, sleep like a baby, eat like a, well, a hungry lady, and meet wonderful people.

I just discovered this thread and I can not tell you how much I enjoyed and laughed.

Wizrd of Roz....my daugter has Secondary MS...She will not get worse but she will not get better. It affecrs her balance. She also has a service dog or as we say companion. This dog is her prized English Mastaff, Golith. When she was diagnosed and realized that she would always have problems with her balance, she entered Golith in Companion School. Golith graduated with honors and is her companion. He is one of the few English Mastaff Companions on the East Coast. He is wonderful and helps her so much. What is funny is that when she goes to a mall, everyone sidesteps her as Golith is so huge. He weighs about 250 lbs, but is indeed a gentle giant. I don't know what she would do without him. The love between her and Golith is really something to see.

Nan: Have a wonderfully, funfilled cruise! You'll be going when we're getting back!

I love your story about your daughter's dog. He's huge! I thought mine was big at 70lbs. She'd be a little dog compared to him. Wow!

I wish your daughter a life filled with happy times with her companion. I'm much older than her and I know the challenges that she faces. They're just obstacles in our way.......she'll learn, with Goliath's help, to push those aside and allow beauty and joy to fill her world!

Nan: Have a wonderfully, funfilled cruise! You'll be going when we're getting back!

I love your story about your daughter's dog. He's huge! I thought mine was big at 70lbs. She'd be a little dog compared to him. Wow!

I wish your daughter a life filled with happy times with her companion. I'm much older than her and I know the challenges that she faces. They're just obstacles in our way.......she'll learn, with Goliath's help, to push those aside and allow beauty and joy to fill her world!

Yeah he is quite something! She has already learned so much and the two of them are wonderful together and something to see. She has 3 boys and her husband is being deployed for the 3rd time to Afghanistan. She accepts the challange and her boys are marvelous with her.

You have a wonderful time too. I am surley looking forward to my cruise!

Smiles.......Kitty (Nan)

Roz, I know some humans I like to tether to a tree in the backyard:p

The only bad reviews that annoy me are the "first" post of a poster that is a bad review! I have wondered how they find these boards imply for their one-time post of a bad review. So I never respond to first time poster with the bad review but so many get into it not realizing that most likely it is a troll and often that poster has not even taken the cruise that they review!

The first post has to start somewhere, and if it's a bad review...so be it. Often you can tell if a cranky person is reporting a bad cruise, or if a bad cruise has made one cranky. Let's hear all the reviews and not get defensive, which can lead to arguments that no one can win (or should win). Negative experiences usually get people "going" more than pleasant ones....leading to negative posts and letter writing.

Now, complaints about itinerary changes due to hurricanes....THAT'S ridiculous! But do you really think arguing with a post about that would solve anything? Read it and move on. The boards have been getting way too nasty lately.

My best friend and travelling companion has a "mutt" (we think part akita and part shepherd) therapy dog Cosmo who works every Friday at a three level (independent living to fully assisted care) home. He goes to all residents who want to see him, as well as staff (he converted someone who had been bitten as a child to a dog lover) and participates in pageants, fashion shows and the Christmas play. One of the residents who is blind spends a lot of time with him going over him with her hands. Patients will tell a dog something they will not tell their doctors or nurses (one was having nightmares and was telling Cosmo about them when a nurse overheard and discovered that there was a problem with her medicine that was causing the nightmares.) On our way to a cruise in FLL there was a military dog going home from Iraq where she did bomb work and saved numerous soldiers and civilians. She was on medical retirement with cancer, but still got interested when they got to the luggage pick up. Her handler was almost in tears as she watched her dog do what she loved.

I know that there are those with service dogs (I have an enormous respect for them) who look down on therapy dogs, or military/police dogs but isn't it wonderful that these essetientially different animals are so willing to serve, and how they can change the lives of those they love, those they encounter, and vice versa. One day I hope to see one of your demonstrations. Enjoy your cruise,

My best friend and travelling companion has a "mutt" (we think part akita and part shepherd) therapy dog Cosmo who works every Friday at a three level (independent living to fully assisted care) home. He goes to all residents who want to see him, as well as staff (he converted someone who had been bitten as a child to a dog lover) and participates in pageants, fashion shows and the Christmas play. One of the residents who is blind spends a lot of time with him going over him with her hands. Patients will tell a dog something they will not tell their doctors or nurses (one was having nightmares and was telling Cosmo about them when a nurse overheard and discovered that there was a problem with her medicine that was causing the nightmares.) On our way to a cruise in FLL there was a military dog going home from Iraq where she did bomb work and saved numerous soldiers and civilians. She was on medical retirement with cancer, but still got interested when they got to the luggage pick up. Her handler was almost in tears as she watched her dog do what she loved.

I know that there are those with service dogs (I have an enormous respect for them) who look down on therapy dogs, or military/police dogs but isn't it wonderful that these essetientially different animals are so willing to serve, and how they can change the lives of those they love, those they encounter, and vice versa. One day I hope to see one of your demonstrations. Enjoy your cruise,

Skells, I for one would never look down upon a service, therapy, or military dog. They are wonderful as well as cadivar dogs. Those dogs serve our country and find those who would not be foumd if it weren't for them. In my experience and with my daughter's we have never met a person with a companion who has ever looked down on a service dog. God bless them all!

Smiles.......Kitty (Nan)

Good question, Bob. Apparently some just don't feel this is the place for negative comments.

Lew

Thanks Lew;

I know there are those out there who have nothing good to say about anythiing. But if I mention an individual negative aspect, such as a less than stellar cabin steward, I would hope that I don't end up being branded as a complainer.

Bob

Good question, Bob. Apparently some just don't feel this is the place for negative comments.

Lew

Lew, I don't think that is true. I think what whom the people are referring to here are those that complain just to complain. I have dealt with people like that and they do scare people from using a Cruise Line.

If you have a complaint that is not a silly one....the weather was bad, the ship rocked. We couldn't go to Glacier Bay because there was too much ice and blame on the cruise line. Those are silly complaints. Legitimate complaints such as bad service or bad room stewart are welcome and need to be addressed.

Smiles.......Kitty (Nan)

...if I mention an individual negative aspect, such as a less than stellar cabin steward, I would hope that I don't end up being branded as a complainer.

I would hope so too. My response to you was kinda' tongue in cheek within the context of this particular thread. I would hope we could voice our concerns if we have them without someone jumping all over us because our comment is less than fully positive.

I don't think that is true. I think what whom the people are referring to here are those that complain just to complain. I have dealt with people like that and they do scare people from using a Cruise Line.

If you have a complaint that is not a silly one....the weather was bad, the ship rocked. We couldn't go to Glacier Bay because there was too much ice and blame on the cruise line. Those are silly complaints. Legitimate complaints such as bad service or bad room stewart are welcome and need to be addressed.

Nan, I hope you're right that it isn't true. But how does anyone determine whether someone's complaints are valid?

If someone goes to the trouble of posting concerns or relates problems they had on a cruise, why should anyone question their validity. If you don't believe the poster's comments are valid, what good does it do to flame him?

I make an attempt to be constructive in my posts, but occasionally someone mistakes my point and jumps all over me. Sometimes I try to defend my position; other times I just let it go. I guess we just need to be civil to each other and have a little compassion for someone whose cruise experience may not have lived up to what was expected.

Lew

I would hope so too. My response to you was kinda' tongue in cheek within the context of this particular thread. I would hope we could voice our concerns if we have them without someone jumping all over us because our comment is less than fully positive.

Nan, I hope you're right that it isn't true. But how does anyone determine whether someone's complaints are valid?

If someone goes to the trouble of posting concerns or relates problems they had on a cruise, why should anyone question their validity. If you don't believe the poster's comments are valid, what good does it do to flame him?

I make an attempt to be constructive in my posts, but occasionally someone mistakes my point and jumps all over me. Sometimes I try to defend my position; other times I just let it go. I guess we just need to be civil to each other and have a little compassion for someone whose cruise experience may not have lived up to what was expected.

Lew

I hear you and agree. But I think you can tell when someone is just complaining to complain. I have a friend like that. I don't think she is happy unless she is complaining about something. Then we she has a legitimate complaint everyone just rolls they eyes. It's kind of like when the boy cryed wolf.

I read most of the reviews good and bad and come up somewhere inbetween when I am deciding on what line to cruse.

I happen to really like Princess, and don't like HAL at all. But that is me. But I am not going to bad mouth HAL because I don't like their ships. This is why we have Vanilla and Chocolate.

But I do know what you are saying.

Smiles......Kitty (Nan)

This is making me nervous that my friend and I are going to get seated with obnoxious people at dinner...eep :eek:

I wouldn't worry about your tablemates. We have enjoyed all of ours and still email several.

Originally Posted by Erinchita viewpost.gif

Erinchita,

Don't worry. I have Anytime Dining and eat with someone new every night. If you have traditional dining and want to switch to Anytime, you can and then someone from the wait list for Traditional can take your spot. I love Anytime Dining for the flexability and you get a chance to meet many more people.

Smiles........Kitty (Nan)

Being a 70's- 80's kid--glued to the TV watching hours of 'Love Boat'--I only dreamed of getting a chance to sail on my sitcom icon. So every time I see that Princess logo --my heart fills with joy and skips a beat--what's left to complain about--the only complaint I do have is--I'm always looking for Captain Stubing, Julie, Isaac, and Doc....:D

Love any adventure on my--Love Boat!!

CoffeequeenJ

Realize that some people are just chronic complainers - this seems to be what makes them happy.

We once sat at a lunch table with a single elderly man and he complained about everything and how HAL does everything better than Princess - I asked him why he was here and he answered "why, the price of course" and continued to complain.

Another lunchtime episode - a gentlemen was complaining because there was no sugar on the table - I called a waiter over and requested some and he brought it. I handed it to the complainer and he said " why are you handing that to me, I don't use it". I asked him why he was complaining about it and he answered "well it just should be on the table for anyone that wants it.

Go figure.

Ron

Too true Ron.......I would love to have you as tablemates......:)

Being a 70's- 80's kid--glued to the TV watching hours of 'Love Boat'--I only dreamed of getting a chance to sail on my sitcom icon. So every time I see that Princess logo --my heart fills with joy and skips a beat--what's left to complain about--the only complaint I do have is--I'm always looking for Captain Stubing, Julie, Isaac, and Doc....:D

Love any adventure on my--Love Boat!!

CoffeequeenJ

I am right there with you Coffee Queen! I loved that show and never thought in a million years that I would actually be on the Love Boat. This is now my 4th Cruise on one of those beautiful ships! And I am actually on the AHOHA deck! LMAO!

Smiles.......Kitty (Nan)

Archived