Bad Reviews From Cranky People

lushou

Thanks Lew;

I know there are those out there who have nothing good to say about anythiing. But if I mention an individual negative aspect, such as a less than stellar cabin steward, I would hope that I don't end up being branded as a complainer.

Bob

Negative comments wouldn't get you labeled. It is mainly the people that say "everything was awful, worse cruise ever, don't bother.....etc."

:)

If someone goes to the trouble of posting concerns or relates problems they had on a cruise, why should anyone question their validity. If you don't believe the poster's comments are valid, what good does it do to flame him?

Lew

Some see Princess as a person which they birth or marry. Bad experiences are a reflection on them. Others see it as a product like bacon which I could take or leave. I usually take a couple of pieces at first, maybe a few more but wouldn't care if anyone else liked or tried it. Maybe they don't trust people who are capable or booking a vacation can read a review or report and decide what is relevant, important or even silly. I am sure there are some bacon lovers upset about the image of the pig due to the mess with Swine Flu.

I was told to quit whining about the food on Princess, why complain because Movies Under the Stars was really movies all day (wrote to Princess about that). Someone needs to explain when Muts became Madd.

My best friend and travelling companion has a "mutt" (we think part akita and part shepherd) therapy dog Cosmo who works every Friday at a three level (independent living to fully assisted care) home. He goes to all residents who want to see him, as well as staff (he converted someone who had been bitten as a child to a dog lover) and participates in pageants, fashion shows and the Christmas play. One of the residents who is blind spends a lot of time with him going over him with her hands. Patients will tell a dog something they will not tell their doctors or nurses (one was having nightmares and was telling Cosmo about them when a nurse overheard and discovered that there was a problem with her medicine that was causing the nightmares.) On our way to a cruise in FLL there was a military dog going home from Iraq where she did bomb work and saved numerous soldiers and civilians. She was on medical retirement with cancer, but still got interested when they got to the luggage pick up. Her handler was almost in tears as she watched her dog do what she loved.

I know that there are those with service dogs (I have an enormous respect for them) who look down on therapy dogs, or military/police dogs but isn't it wonderful that these essetientially different animals are so willing to serve, and how they can change the lives of those they love, those they encounter, and vice versa. One day I hope to see one of your demonstrations. Enjoy your cruise,

I have worked with Service Dogs for a very long time and I don't know anyone who looks down on Therapy Dogs or Military/Police Dogs, quite the contrary......we ALL have enormous respect for these dogs who serve the public in any capacity and in a positive way.

It's just that some have the certification and training to go into ALL public venue's while other's are licensed to assist humans in other types of venues.

Working dogs who mitigate the problems/issues and fears of humans are true hero's to all of us!

I have worked with Service Dogs for a very long time and I don't know anyone who looks down on Therapy Dogs or Military/Police Dogs, quite the contrary......we ALL have enormous respect for these dogs who serve the public in any capacity and in a positive way.

It's just that some have the certification and training to go into ALL public venue's while other's are licensed to assist humans in other types of venues.

Working dogs who mitigate the problems/issues and fears of humans are true hero's to all of us!

I'll drink to that!!!!

Smiles.......Kitty (Nan)

Roz,

I have a question. I really love dogs of all sizes and breeds. When i see a person with an assist dog, I feel so good. What is proper protocol for a person like me. Is it permissible to touch or pet the dog (I always ask) or should i just admire a working dog from afar?

I would never want to offend the person who is there with their assist animal.

We have cruised about 25 times in the last eleven years; and, most of the complaints I have encountered have occurred on these boards. The very few complaints I have heard onboard usually came from folks who were staying in an inner cabin (sometimes with more than two occupants) who felt that the line owed them everything. As an example, on a ten nighter on the Emerald last April, one fellow, who was in an inside cabin, complained because his steward would not automatically bring him ice three times per day, although the steward advised him that it would be provided three times per day if he called customer service. He stated that as far as he was concerned he should not have to call customer service; and, that his steward owed him this service. By the way, during the course of our conversation, I discerned that his academic credentials were somewhat lacking.

Roz,

I have a question. I really love dogs of all sizes and breeds. When i see a person with an assist dog, I feel so good. What is proper protocol for a person like me. Is it permissible to touch or pet the dog (I always ask) or should i just admire a working dog from afar?

I would never want to offend the person who is there with their assist animal.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER MAKE EYE CONTACT WITH A SERVICE DOG!

(This is also good advice for someone who is afraid of dogs.)

Advice: STAND LIKE A TREE, WITH YOUR HANDS AT YOUR SIDE AND DO NOT LOOK INTO THE DOGS EYES, FIX YOUR EYES UP.......Let the dog smell you, it's how they think - nose first! Don't speak! Don't move! The dog will lose interest and go away to sniff something else. Then gingerly move towards safety!

Most people are injured by stray dogs because they panic. They act like prey. They yell/scream/run/jump/flail their arms, etc., etc. Dogs will be highly motivated to capture you by your behavior. They lose interest in trees. But, be ready, they may pee on you......

SERVICE DOG ETIQUETTE:

Again, don't look into the dogs eyes! Sometimes the vest the dog is wearing will give you a clue to what the dog is used for.

Most Seeing Eye Dogs don't wear vests....but, they're pretty obvious. While they're walking, don't approach them. If they've stopped at a cross walk, don't approach them. The dog is thinking and waiting for a command to either read the light or getting it's person across the street safely. Don't stop them unless you feel they're in trouble.....the dogs job is to maneuver their owner safely and you're in the way!!!!!

If they're just sitting somewhere, this is a good time to approach and ask if you can "pat" the dog.

"Seeing Eye Dogs" are working when the person is moving. "Hearing Dogs", and other working teams maybe working all the time.......unless the person has given a specific command for the dog to just lie down and not "alert!" This is also a good time to approach the person and ask questions.

I ALWAYS allow for "patting" time for Brenda, from the public. I think they're joy in seeing a dog, where they don't expect one or just being in the presence of these "miracle workers" is very curious to them and, I like to answer their good questions. Most of them are missing their own "furbabies" so much that a "pat" is all they need.

Don't be shy to ask if you may touch the dog, just be cognizant of your timing when asking!

Advice: STAND LIKE A TREE, WITH YOUR HANDS AT YOUR SIDE AND DO NOT LOOK INTO THE DOGS EYES, FIX YOUR EYES UP.......Let the dog smell you, it's how they think - nose first! Don't speak! Don't move! The dog will lose interest and go away to sniff something else. Then gingerly move towards safety!

Most people are injured by stray dogs because they panic. They act like prey. They yell/scream/run/jump/flail their arms, etc., etc. Dogs will be highly motivated to capture you by your behavior. They lose interest in trees. But, be ready, they may pee on you......

SERVICE DOG ETIQUETTE:

Again, don't look into the dogs eyes! Sometimes the vest the dog is wearing will give you a clue to what the dog is used for.

Most Seeing Eye Dogs don't wear vests....but, they're pretty obvious. While they're walking, don't approach them. If they've stopped at a cross walk, don't approach them. The dog is thinking and waiting for a command to either read the light or getting it's person across the street safely. Don't stop them unless you feel they're in trouble.....the dogs job is to maneuver their owner safely and you're in the way!!!!!

If they're just sitting somewhere, this is a good time to approach and ask if you can "pat" the dog.

"Seeing Eye Dogs" are working when the person is moving. "Hearing Dogs", and other working teams maybe working all the time.......unless the person has given a specific command for the dog to just lie down and not "alert!" This is also a good time to approach the person and ask questions.

I ALWAYS allow for "patting" time for Brenda, from the public. I think they're joy in seeing a dog, where they don't expect one or just being in the presence of these "miracle workers" is very curious to them and, I like to answer their good questions. Most of them are missing their own "furbabies" so much that a "pat" is all they need.

Don't be shy to ask if you may touch the dog, just be cognizant of your timing when asking!

I echo that, espcially where my daughter is concerned with Golith. He is so big that most people will shy away from him. But those that do want to pat him, do ask becasue he is so intimitating. When an English Mastiff sits, especially the male becasue they are so large sit on thier hips which is really quite funny. When they lie down they love to look up with those so sad looking eyes. You are right Roz, never make eye contact.

Smiles.......Kitty (Nan)

Some see Princess as a person which they birth or marry. Bad experiences are a reflection on them. Others see it as a product like bacon which I could take or leave. I usually take a couple of pieces at first, maybe a few more but wouldn't care if anyone else liked or tried it. Maybe they don't trust people who are capable or booking a vacation can read a review or report and decide what is relevant, important or even silly. I am sure there are some bacon lovers upset about the image of the pig due to the mess with Swine Flu.

Grieving?

Anyone else tired of the bad reviews (here on CC and on TripAdvisor) from cranky people? I know that not everyone is happy all the time. However, some of the things that people complain about just astound me! The sense of entitlement that some people have is way out of whack. There are 3000+ passengers on a cruise ship. Please realize (not realise as some people spell it in their reviews) that whatever biases, expectations, and personal experiences you hold, are going to impact your experience on the cruise. My wife and I are happy-go-lucky and laid back. When things don't go perfectly, we laugh and get over it.

K:D

Hello

I usually agree, But we just has the worst cruise in recent years, Yes we liked some aspects but the service was so bad, and staff so miserable it's hard to "just get over it" We wanted to enjoy our cruise so much but every minute was just awful when it came to the staff on board.

Hello

I usually agree, But we just has the worst cruise in recent years, Yes we liked some aspects but the service was so bad, and staff so miserable it's hard to "just get over it" We wanted to enjoy our cruise so much but every minute was just awful when it came to the staff on board.

Which ship? Mind you, if you choose to answer, take cover.

Seems service everywhere is suffering. I can deal with bad service in a restaurant with a $60 check, but a $3,000 cruise is a different story all together.

Sounds like you boarded with a positive attitude. Happened to me recently also.

Hello

Bet you won't cruise NCL again. :rolleyes:

There is already a review of Carribean Princess Aug 22 / 29. You will have to hurry up with yours!

Hello

Hello

I remember your questions and posts before you left. I have to say, this honestly doesn't surprise me in the least.

SERVICE DOG ETIQUETTE:

Thank you so much for this great info, Roz!! :cool: I love dogs and have always wondered what the proper etiquette is when wanting to approach someone and their service dog.

Hello

You do understand you boarded with a negative attitude! Somehow this really is no surprise:rolleyes:

I got blasted by someone because she wanted to hear about things that I didn't write about! And she proceeded to rip my review apart! !
Sorry, but you need to relax. Isn't this a bit exaggerated??

Sounds like you boarded with a positive attitude. Happened to me recently also.

I am trying to figure out how it "sounds" as if that poster boarded with a positive attitude??

I remember your questions and posts before you left. I have to say, this honestly doesn't surprise me in the least.

Yes I agree. :(

You do understand you boarded with a negative attitude! Somehow this really is no surprise:rolleyes:

Thank you to all three of you. I wanted to post the same exact thing but didn't want to be accused of "searching back to old posts":rolleyes:

We have cruised about 25 times in the last eleven years; and, most of the complaints I have encountered have occurred on these boards. The very few complaints I have heard onboard usually came from folks who were staying in an inner cabin (sometimes with more than two occupants) who felt that the line owed them everything. As an example, on a ten nighter on the Emerald last April, one fellow, who was in an inside cabin, complained because his steward would not automatically bring him ice three times per day, although the steward advised him that it would be provided three times per day if he called customer service. He stated that as far as he was concerned he should not have to call customer service; and, that his steward owed him this service. By the way, during the course of our conversation, I discerned that his academic credentials were somewhat lacking.

I'm just curious....do you think inside cabin passengers get less service from their stewards? I usually cruise in balcony cabins but when I go with my elderly mother instead of my husband, she prefers to spend less, so we do an inside cabin. We keep our cabin very neatly and don't ask anything extra from the steward. I was surprised last time when my ice bucket did not even get filled daily despite having a bottle of wine setting in it. It's a small detail and not something I was voice a complaint about but just curious if the service varies at different levels.

Archived