Lower online rates

colkeena

Does Princess match online rates?I want to book through Princess but the online rate is about $700.00 cheaper.I usually cruise RCCL and online rates are never lower.This is new to me.

Thanks

Princess does not match. Make your best deal with whomever gives you the best deal. :)

What I am going to do is book with Princess...and before final payment, switch your reservation over to a TA...you can get lower rates and OBC as well. It is also easier to cancel or change your reservation with Princess than with a TA.

Does Princess match online rates?I want to book through Princess but the online rate is about $700.00 cheaper.I usually cruise RCCL and online rates are never lower.This is new to me.

Thanks

Princess allows discounting by travel agents, but they don't discount booking direct or match any other prices you find. Shop around, get your best rate from a reputable TA and book with that agency. Unless you would like to pay a lot more for the same stateroom, same ship, same food, etc, by booking direct. ;) ;) wink wink

Princess, unlike RCCL, allows travel agents to discount the Princess price.

The discount occurs because either the agent has set up its own group to book and has received a lower price from Princess or is giving up part of its commission or a combination of both.

So, of you find what you feel is a good deal, book it. Princess will not compete pricewise with travel agents.

What I am going to do is book with Princess...and before final payment, switch your reservation over to a TA...you can get lower rates and OBC as well. It is also easier to cancel or change your reservation with Princess than with a TA.

That actually works very well IMHO IF the prices don't go up instead of down for the dates you have booked it.

That actually works very well IMHO IF the prices don't go up instead of down for the dates you have booked it.

Pros and cons to ulcards99 said. You can keep your booking with Princess and then transfer that booking to an agent and the agent can discount that rate. So even if the price goes up, the passenger is still locked into that rate even when they transfer it (and then an agent can discount).

Though the advice to transfer right before final payment is not always the best either. I booked a cruise through Princess when my agent was on vacation. I forgot to transfer the booking to her but when I was going to towards the end right before final payment, my agents agency group space was all full and while I could transfer and still save money because my agent discounts, I couldn't get any group amenities (such as OBC, etc...) as the ship was pretty much full and group space was all full. Though, in the end - I ended up cancelling this before final payment so it is a moot point but I did want to comment about waiting until the last minute to transfer it to an agent if you want a lot of the group space amenities.

I just wanted to elaborate a little more then what toto said.

My last 2 cruise bookings have been made directly thru Princess because their price is the very same as any online agency that I checked. I love the ability to call and not have to go thru a TA & I can see my balance at anytime. I think Princess is getting more competitive with online agencies & I think that is a good thing. I keep hearing about agencies going out of business & that is just another perk to go direct.

Jan

My last 2 cruise bookings have been made directly thru Princess because their price is the very same as any online agency that I checked. I love the ability to call and not have to go thru a TA & I can see my balance at anytime. I think Princess is getting more competitive with online agencies & I think that is a good thing. I keep hearing about agencies going out of business & that is just another perk to go direct.

Jan

Princess wants TAs pushing their product and don't mind the discounting. The TAs provide a valuable service for Princess. I have done much better with a TA both times. In fact, when I was on board and purchasing my FCC and booking my next cruise, the Princess future salesperson booked it directly with my TA without even asking me. He told me that the TA price was better than Princess' price and the line has no problem keeping TAs happy. I was surprised but very happy about this.

In the past I have always done better using a TA by a very good amount. But, with our March 6, 2010 our price has gone down $150 pp and has kept right at the same pace as all online agencies. I was as surprised by this as well, but we just booked another for 1/5/11 and all online agencies were at the same price.

Jan

In the past I have always done better using a TA by a very good amount. But, with our March 6, 2010 our price has gone down $150 pp and has kept right at the same pace as all online agencies. I was as surprised by this as well, but we just booked another for 1/5/11 and all online agencies were at the same price.

Jan

All online agencies are NOT at the same price. Just the ones you're looking at.

And many times you'll NOT find the lowest price online either!

Jan

My TA discounts any price that Princess gives me (by a significant amount). Something is not right here - maybe the online agencies are not checking your captain circle number or something like that. Agents MUST check your prices with your captain circle number to accurately give you a price. Agents have access to the same prices as Princess and those who discount can discount that same price.

I really think it is worth having a relationship with an agent. I know that whatever princess shows me/quotes me, my agent will do better. But she always runs my captain circle number and then discounts.

Can anyone tell me....

I've usually used a very fine TA who gives me great prices. The last cruise I booked, I decided to try an online agency just to see how it goes. They're reputable and, so far, everything has worked well. I got a really good deal. I'd already used my FCC, so I couldn't use it on my online booking. I didn't notice any way to use a FCC on the online booking pages. I'm sure you must be able to use a FCC on an online booking, but how do you do it? Do you call them after you book and ask them to have the FCC transferred to your booking? Thanks in advance.

Both agencies checked with my past cruise # and could not beat the booking price with Princess, but that is ok we are happy! If I can find a better price I can switch. Thanks everyone for your replies. I love this board.:D

Jan

Jan - my point is that if I have a booking with Princess, I can transfer it to my agent and she will then discount it by a certain percentage (the portion of the fare she can discount). She will always beat whatever price I have with Princess. I will often pick up the booking myself (as I don't want to bother her if I am going to cancel it) and when I transfer it, it will be discounted. She can always do this - it isn't a "sometimes thing" with Princess.

A good agent is definitely worth their weight in gold. It doesn't sound like you are dealing with someone like this or they would have suggested this.

I am not trying to fight with you - I am just stating that agents can discount any price that Princess gives you. Even after you book with Princess (but before final payment).

Can anyone tell me....

I've usually used a very fine TA who gives me great prices. The last cruise I booked, I decided to try an online agency just to see how it goes. They're reputable and, so far, everything has worked well. I got a really good deal. I'd already used my FCC, so I couldn't use it on my online booking. I didn't notice any way to use a FCC on the online booking pages. I'm sure you must be able to use a FCC on an online booking, but how do you do it? Do you call them after you book and ask them to have the FCC transferred to your booking? Thanks in advance.

How to use your FCC when booking on-line depends on the agency. With some you enter a phony credit card number when booking and then call to give them the FCC info and with some you have to enter a real credit card, call and give them the info and they will back off the credit card payment and apply the FCC.

Jan

I just checked 1 online agency against Princess' pricing for your cruise and a BB was priced $80pp cheaper after all taxes and govt fees were included.

Bill

How to use your FCC when booking on-line depends on the agency. With some you enter a phony credit card number when booking and then call to give them the FCC info and with some you have to enter a real credit card, call and give them the info and they will back off the credit card payment and apply the FCC.

Thanks.

Why would prices going up make a difference?

You are locked into the price you booked at and a transfer to a T/A is at the same price. It is up to the T/A how much to discount that price based on how much commission he/she is willing to give up.

And some charge extra if you call them which can eat up the OBC from the FCC.

You are locked into the price you booked at and a transfer to a T/A is at the same price. It is up to the T/A how much to discount that price based on how much commission he/she is willing to give up.

It wouldn't, but if the prices made one or intermediate decreases before final payment was due, you can bet Princess wouldn't automatically refare a direct booking. The OP would have to rate watch themselves.

Secondly, many times agencies have group space on sailing where there is a significant price differential between Princess past pax rate and the group rate. Once an agency's allotment is gone... it's gone.. no refaring on transferred bookings.

We deal with a TA that works for a large international agency that operates both B&M offices and online as well. They blank out a large bank of cabins, get deep discounts and pass most of that on to their clients. In every case the TA has been significantly below Princess's "rack rate" and below anything we can find on line...except in one instance when there was a price reduction and he got it for us even after final.

Jan

You still don't understand that your price should be lower with the RIGHT agent. You just haven't found it. Doesn't matter that on line agencies are showing the same Princess price. The right agent will always be lower.

That's because some T.A.'s try to rebook it instead of letting you actually transfer it from Princess. Not sure why they do it, except it is more of a hassle for them.

Archived