Any Dawn information from first Caribbean sailing?

mickev99

So I know you just got back and it's a holiday week, but dying to get some insight on the Dawn Caribbean sailing, such as:

1) Is Bamboo open for lunch or only for dinner?

2) Cost of Martini, wine, beer tastings? I'm assuming they are only on sea days? Any evening tastings?

3) What are the shows? Do they still have Elements?

4) Have the new menus rolled out in the MDR?

5) How are the crowds for ordering drinks and getting served?

Would love to see the Freestyle Dailies and also the Kid's club dailies (specifically ages 10-12).

Any other tidbits or information that you can provide, including how much you loved it hopefully!!!!!!!

Thank you in advance!!

[/b]

So I know you just got back and it's a holiday week, but dying to get some insight on the Dawn Caribbean sailing, such as:

1) Is Bamboo open for lunch or only for dinner? Just for dinner

2) Cost of Martini, wine, beer tastings? I'm assuming they are only on sea days? Any evening tastings? The cost was $25 but didn't take notice to when they were since we had the UBP onboard3) What are the shows? Showdown was their new show, was similar to American Idol and another show which the name escapes me right now. Do they still have Elements? Yes

All the shows were well worth watching though.

4) Have the new menus rolled out in the MDR? cant answer because I don't know what the old menu was.5) How are the crowds for ordering drinks and getting served? We never waited very long...the trick is to find that one attentive bartender and you will have no problem getting drinks. We had Irene and Danny! They were absolutely by far the best drink servers they we ever had. They were funny, pleasant and always willing to assist you.

Would love to see the Freestyle Dailies and also the Kid's club dailies (specifically ages 10-12). Sorry, I didn't save them and we have no kids in the age group

Any other tidbits or information that you can provide, including how much you loved it hopefully!!!!!!!

Thank you in advance!!

We just got off the Dawn on November 22nd. We had a great time. I had been reading reviews for along time and while the ship needs a facelift our room was always clean and in good shape and we had a very nice room steward who went out of his way to make your stay very comfortable. His name was Gustey and he was on deck 10. He made the best towel animals. What you have been hearing from others on this forums about bathrooms being out of order, this is true but from what I had seen it was created by passengers more so than anything else. It always looked like the toilets were jammed full of too much toilet paper and other paper products that when you flushed nothing would go down therefore creating the clog but that is just my opinion. I thought the crew were very friendly, most always greeted you with a smile, the crew in the buffet area always had a smile when you walked in and they would spray your hands with antiseptic soap..favorite phrase was happy, happy, washy, washy!!! Cracked me up the way they would say it!

The buffet food was ok but I thought that the dining rooms food was much better! I remember when sailing on the Star the buffet had a bigger variety of food so I am thinking this time they scaled back but we always found something to eat.

The bamboo restaurant was really good!

If you have any specific questions I would be very happy to answer them

[/b]

We just got off the Dawn on November 22nd. We had a great time. I had been reading reviews for along time and while the ship needs a facelift our room was always clean and in good shape and we had a very nice room steward who went out of his way to make your stay very comfortable. His name was Gustey and he was on deck 10. He made the best towel animals. What you have been hearing from others on this forums about bathrooms being out of order, this is true but from what I had seen it was created by passengers more so than anything else. It always looked like the toilets were jammed full of too much toilet paper and other paper products that when you flushed nothing would go down therefore creating the clog but that is just my opinion. I thought the crew were very friendly, most always greeted you with a smile, the crew in the buffet area always had a smile when you walked in and they would spray your hands with antiseptic soap..favorite phrase was happy, happy, washy, washy!!! Cracked me up the way they would say it!

The buffet food was ok but I thought that the dining rooms food was much better! I remember when sailing on the Star the buffet had a bigger variety of food so I am thinking this time they scaled back but we always found something to eat.

The bamboo restaurant was really good!

If you have any specific questions I would be very happy to answer them

First cruise... I purchase the UBP but as I understand it the tasting are not included or are you referring too the 25 charge but you would get 15 off of that ? I look at some dailies posted and the tastings didn't indicate there was an additional charge will some of the others thing mentioned on the dailies....little confused

First cruise... I purchase the UBP but as I understand it the tasting are not included or are you referring too the 25 charge but you would get 15 off of that ? I look at some dailies posted and the tastings didn't indicate there was an additional charge will some of the others thing mentioned on the dailies....little confused

They were saying that the cost of the tastings were $25 each. I'm not sure what you mean about 15 off. They didn't do the tastings because they got free drinks with the UBP.

We also have the UBP but the tastings were so much fun on our last cruise that we will pay for it.

They were saying that the cost of the tastings were $25 each. I'm not sure what you mean about 15 off. They didn't do the tastings because they got free drinks with the UBP.

We also have the UBP but the tastings were so much fun on our last cruise that we will pay for it.

I thoughts I had read somewhere that the UBP was good for any drink up to $15 and the remainder would then be charged to your stateroom. 25-15=10 charged.

Doesn't really matter I am going to do any and all tastings, they are a great way to explore new things..... more curious on how things worked with the UBP and tastings but I do understand how you explained it.

I thoughts I had read somewhere that the UBP was good for any drink up to $15 and the remainder would then be charged to your stateroom. 25-15=10 charged.

Doesn't really matter I am going to do any and all tastings, they are a great way to explore new things..... more curious on how things worked with the UBP and tastings but I do understand how you explained it.

Gotcha...I was wondering where you got the 15 from, now I understand what you were thinking. Since this is a tasting, it is not a "drink", so those rules don't apply.

We got off 14 days on the Dawn on Nov 13. We thoroughly enjoyed it! Dinners at Bamboo were delicious! The few times it was open for lunch, not as much. They must have a different chef then. (Note: Bamboo was seldom open for lunch. Check the dailies when you're on board.)

We tried the Martini Tasting, which was $15 each. That was for 6 half-size martinis. I believe other martini flights were available at Gatsby's bar for the same $15, as during the tasting I saw someone there that didn't have the same flavors that were offered with the Tasting.

We saw Elements and it was good!

I believe when we sailed the Dawn was still using the old menus. We were thinking they might change after docking in New Orleans, but I don't know if they have.

Edited by Snowrose

Gotcha...I was wondering where you got the 15 from, now I understand what you were thinking. Since this is a tasting, it is not a "drink", so those rules don't apply.

Just got off the Dawn this morning and you get 20 percent off the Martini tasting if you have the UBP.

I'm cruising on the Dawn next week. Just wondering if you can check on your charges on your tv in the room. Also can you follow where the ship is on tv?

Not yet. After the refurbishment

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Forums mobile app

I'm cruising on the Dawn next week. Just wondering if you can check on your charges on your tv in the room. Also can you follow where the ship is on tv?

You can follow where the ship is on the Nav Channel, I think it was Channel 2. It tells you miles sailed, temperature, wave heights, etc. The ship location is in a rotation on that channel.

1) Is Bamboo open for lunch or only for dinner?

2) Cost of Martini, wine, beer tastings? I'm assuming they are only on sea days? Any evening tastings?

3) What are the shows? Do they still have Elements?

4) Have the new menus rolled out in the MDR?

5) How are the crowds for ordering drinks and getting served?

Would love to see the Freestyle Dailies and also the Kid's club dailies (specifically ages 10-12).

Thank you in advance!!

I would like to add that the Second City performers were awesome. The Murder Mystery Lunch was fun (last sea day, $20) as well. I enjoyed Showdown and Band on the Run. Also, look for the production singer Gaby singing at Gatsby's.

I was on the Dawn last week and the shows were all good including the Haines Magic Show and Elements. The Second City performers were fun to watch. They had a Circus performance that the kids put on themselves after marching around the ship cheering and singing and looked to be having fun. I had the UBP and never had slow service except at the Venetian on the first night. It was my fault though as I found out later that you need to let your waiter know you will need a drink server to wait on you. A few times the server did not come fast enough so the waiter took charge and got us drinks himself. I loved the fact my wife, who doesn't drink really, was able to try some drinks without feeling bad for paying for them and then not liking them. The Roasted Almond was her favorite and she had several during the cruise. They had several free tasting during the cruise but we did not do the paid tastings. They did offer free wine for everyone if there was a delay getting seated for dinner which occurred twice. The band at the Spinaker lounge was entertaining but I can only take so much Pat Benetar being screamed out (before you laugh, my son is a drummer in a Heavy Metal Band (now you are laughing) so how could Pat Benetar bother me? You will have to hear it for yourself)before I would shuffle off to Pearly Kings for an ice cold New Castle draft. The crew was always friendly and talkative if you greet them first. My room was always perfect and my wife loved the towel animals each night, which made her happy, which made me even more happy.

I would like to add that the Second City performers were awesome. The Murder Mystery Lunch was fun (last sea day, $20) as well. I enjoyed Showdown and Band on the Run. Also, look for the production singer Gaby singing at Gatsby's.

Thanks for the info! I was wondering about the murder mystery lunch, it sounded pretty neat, we might try it.

I have heard only rave reviews about Second City, can't wait to see them!

11 more days until I set sail!!!

I was on the Dawn last week and the shows were all good including the Haines Magic Show and Elements. The Second City performers were fun to watch. They had a Circus performance that the kids put on themselves after marching around the ship cheering and singing and looked to be having fun. I had the UBP and never had slow service except at the Venetian on the first night. It was my fault though as I found out later that you need to let your waiter know you will need a drink server to wait on you. A few times the server did not come fast enough so the waiter took charge and got us drinks himself. I loved the fact my wife, who doesn't drink really, was able to try some drinks without feeling bad for paying for them and then not liking them. The Roasted Almond was her favorite and she had several during the cruise. They had several free tasting during the cruise but we did not do the paid tastings. They did offer free wine for everyone if there was a delay getting seated for dinner which occurred twice. The band at the Spinaker lounge was entertaining but I can only take so much Pat Benetar being screamed out (before you laugh, my son is a drummer in a Heavy Metal Band (now you are laughing) so how could Pat Benetar bother me? You will have to hear it for yourself)before I would shuffle off to Pearly Kings for an ice cold New Castle draft. The crew was always friendly and talkative if you greet them first. My room was always perfect and my wife loved the towel animals each night, which made her happy, which made me even more happy.

Thanks for the info, and for the tip about the drink server at dinner, I didn't know that either!

should be a great cruise. We were on Thanksgiving week- only their second or third cruise this season. Given it was peak occupancy- in fact their highest occupancy of the year and if we had a great time, for those of y9u traveling in lower volume weeks- should be even better