Castaway 5K info

owlfun

I signed up at the Port Adventures desk after we boarded the ship. I don't recall the exact time the 5K actually started, but around 9 am seems to be ringing a bell. We were off the ship awhile before that however as you have a bit of a walk before you actually get to the starting line. People were joking and calling the walk a 5K before the 5K! There were many different levels when I did it last December. Runners and walkers. Try it and have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I haven't done the 5K, but my wife has run it a couple times. You can sign up just about anytime before the ship gets to Castaway. I can't remember the exact starting times, but it is early (for a cruise). The buffet restaurant (Cabanas) is open early for light food pre-race. Racers then meet in a lounge, and I think they are the first passengers off the ship. They walk to the course, run it, and can return to the ship.

It does take a bit of time for racers to get back to the ship. If your whole cabin isn't running, you can use the portable cabin phones both on the ship and on the island. Some folks can go on the beach while you are still out running (or cooling down or cleaning up), and you can coordinate getting back together with the phones.

The race itself is non-competitive. My wife normally does not consider herself fast at all, and she came back full of swagger about her place (but not so much about her pace).

I'm curious for anyone who has done it, or had someone with them who has done it, what time did you finally get on the beach after heading back to the room to change and what not post race? Thanks.

I immediately changed into my bathing suit and jumped into the ocean. Best feeling ever!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You don't need to return to the ship. If you have a family member bring your swimsuit and whatever to the island, there are restrooms that you can use as a change room. Once in the swimwear, you can do a freshwater shower just outside the restroom area.

Just arrange a meeting place with the family to claim your stuff.

I'm curious for anyone who has done it, or had someone with them who has done it, what time did you finally get on the beach after heading back to the room to change and what not post race? Thanks.

My sister and I just did it this week. We just packed a daybag, which we were able to leave at the start/finish area, went to one of the nearby bathrooms to change into our swimsuits, and headed straight to the beach. Our meeting time was 8:15, we were off the ship by 8:40/8:45 (BIG group of runners this week!), and were at the start line at about 9:00. My sister walked it, so I would guess we were on the beach by 10:15/10:30?