Beach day in Antigua

AmyJ1201

Looking for s great beach to visit for the day. While in port just want to spend one day relaxing on the beach. Probably need facilities and chair/umbrella rentals. Easily accessible from Port. Any suggestions?

Amy, do some research on Hawksbill Beach Resort. I have not been there however, it came recommended by a friend. About $15 from the ship to the beach. They have 4 beaches and they don't charge anything for entry. We cruise in March and I think we will be going here for the day.

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Valley Church Beach and took the bus to get there. It was super easy and only 1.50 per person each way. 2 other families from the cruise ship were on the bus with us. The driver even arranged a time to pick us up and brought us back closer to the ship.

Bus is public transportation. It is about a 10 minute walk from the cruise ship. It is on market street.(go down the main street and take a right on market street) Very easy to find. The taxi people will tell you that it takes a long time to fill up and look at you like you are going in a really bad part of town. But the bus was full of mostly cruise people and the driver even picked our group up from the beach at a set time.

Just to clarify if you have never been there. Visions of 'bus service' ain't what goes on in your municipality. The buses are all minivans, so you squeeze in with the locals who will be very friendly. The bus service is mainly for people going to work and kids going to school. There is no schedule, the driver goes when he feels like it i.e. when the bus fills up. My wife was shocked when she gave him the fare of $1.50, he put the money in his pocket and didn't give her a ticket. I was laughing - the driver owns the bus, it's his business. That's why they will be accommodating and sometimes go out of their way for you.