Dancing on Voyager

zimmer46

We are scheduled to depart on Voyager in a few weeks. It will be our 4th Regent cruise, but first time on Voyager having been on Mariner and twice on Navigator. We like to take any opportunity to dance ballroom or latin, nothing grand but we get by. Navigator had a small floor in Gallileo's which was fine, but really depended on the band. One cruise the band were superb for dancing, and encouraged it with their repertoire. Another, they were content to play jazz which was not suitable.

Just wondered what Voyager has in terms of venue, and what previous cruisers have heard regards music etc.

Thanks all

We were on Voyager in 2012 and 2013, both 14 day cruises and on the Navigator last year. Not a problem dancing on the Voyager in Horizons lounge, Voyager lounge or the Observation lounge. Many times we were the only ones on the floor which was very nice considering the size of two of the floors.

We eat early and would go into Compass Rose and request a window table for two. The Maitre d' would tell us how long a wait and we would walk to the Voyager lounge and dance to the trio playing. A waiter would come and get us when the table was ready. How fine is that?

In the Observation lounge we would mostly dance to the piano player. He would quickly learn what we liked to dance to and would play our music unless someone else was dancing and made a request. The Voyager generally has the house band, a trio or duet and the piano player. The house band we have found the hardest to dance to, but when they go with jazz we start looking for the piano player in one of the smaller venues. The trio and piano are always great. When they change venues, we just follow them to where ever they are playing.

While the navigator has fewer venues, we take advantage of all of them. The Stars lounge just outside of the theater is where we dance to the piano player.

We love dancing on the Regent ships. The floors are small but not crowded and we find the music is good for ballroom 99% of the time.

Have fun on the Voyager.

Edited by 555lavan1t

We were on Voyager in 2012 and 2013, both 14 day cruises and on the Navigator last year. Not a problem dancing on the Voyager in Horizons lounge, Voyager lounge or the Observation lounge. Many times we were the only ones on the floor which was very nice considering the size of two of the floors.

We eat early and would go into Compass Rose and request a window table for two. The Maitre d' would tell us how long a wait and we would walk to the Voyager lounge and dance to the trio playing. A waiter would come and get us when the table was ready. How fine is that?

In the Observation lounge we would mostly dance to the piano player. He would quickly learn what we liked to dance to and would play our music unless someone else was dancing and made a request. The Voyager generally has the house band, a trio or duet and the piano player. The house band we have found the hardest to dance to, but when they go with jazz we start looking for the piano player in one of the smaller venues. The trio and piano are always great. When they change venues, we just follow them to where ever they are playing.

While the navigator has fewer venues, we take advantage of all of them. The Stars lounge just outside of the theater is where we dance to the piano player.

We love dancing on the Regent ships. The floors are small but not crowded and we find the music is good for ballroom 99% of the time.

Have fun on the Voyager.

That's a great picture you paint there, i can almost see it.I love to see couples dancing but we didn't see any on our last Mariner cruise.

You sound like a beautiful couple, keep on dancing!

Pam.

Thank you for your kind words Pam. The reason many people discount Regent for dancing is the very reason we love it - smaller floors where you have to tighten up the patterns and moves and not travel so much. Perfect for Argentine tango which is far less travel than American tango. Makes for a more intimate dance setting. Crystal has a better name for dancing and the music and floors probably are better, but for us Regent is very special and the reason we have cruised their ships more than any other line since 2003.

I'm sorry no one was dancing on your Mariner cruise. It's so nice sitting in a lounge watching couples dance to a quiet piano or a tune by a trio who are quiet enough to have a table conversation, or being on the dance floor yourself. This is why we like Regent and what makes it different for us than other lines.

Guess you can tell I like to dance. Hope that Zimmer46 likes the Voyager (our favorite) for dancing as much as we do. It just doesn't get any better than martinis and tango on the Voyager.

Edited by 555lavan1t

I think on our Mariner cruise it was quite a young crowd (in the med) The piano man in the Observation lounge was fantastic and gathered a great crowd with lots of requests. We are from the U.K and throughly enjoyed it but alas no dancing.

I'm so pleased you get the chance to have a dance on board and how lovely that you had someone notify you when your table was ready, what a lovely touch.

We are on The Voyager in a few weeks, i will keep my eye out for the dancers and think about you.

We don't dance ourselves, i have two left feet. :)

Take care and happy dancing.

Pam.

Thanks for the reply 555lavan1t.

I agree, a lot depends on the band. On our first Navigator cruise in 2013, the house band were fantastic. I think because we got up to dance on our first evening, the band seemed to make point of playing something suitable for waltz, foxtrot or cha cha cha when ever they saw us arrive each evening. On that cruise there were maybe 3 or 4 couples who danced, and as you say, the Regent floors are not large !! Certainly makes for good practice at leading your partner and following a line of dance. ( for leading read evasive action ! ) After all, ballroom is a contact sport haha !!

I liked your idea of requesting your table and then heading off for a dance. Must try that.