Bergen port day. Can one hike Vidden Trail?

Hello cool cruisers;

I will visiting Bergen on the Serenda of seas, Tuesday, May 16th. We dock from 8 AM - 6 PM . I was wondering if it at all possible to hike the Vidden trail given our short visit? I read that the trail is not very well marked and I'm afraid if we get lost, the hike might run too long and we miss our ship. I'm thinking of such trip plan

Exit the ship as soon as possible, take public transportation to Ulriken Cable Cart --> take the cart up to the mountain → Hike Vidden trail →stop Brushytten for rest → contiune untill end then ride Fløyen funicular back to Burgen.

Please advice me if this is a good idea or not. Thank you

Several years ago, I did the Vidden while in port on a cruise. I walked from the ship to the cable car, and I walked down from Floyen rather than take the funicular. Otherwise, it was the same plan you suggest. I kept moving energetically, and had no problem making the schedule.

I had a little trouble recognizing how to start the trail, but someone helped in pointing it out. After that, I found it adequately marked.

It's a good walk and a satisfying accomplishment, but in my opinion it's below average for Norwegian scenic beauty.....

Several years ago, I did the Vidden while in port on a cruise. I walked from the ship to the cable car, and I walked down from Floyen rather than take the funicular. Otherwise, it was the same plan you suggest. I kept moving energetically, and had no problem making the schedule.

I had a little trouble recognizing how to start the trail, but someone helped in pointing it out. After that, I found it adequately marked.

It's a good walk and a satisfying accomplishment, but in my opinion it's below average for Norwegian scenic beauty.....

Thanks for your feedback that's really encouraging that you didn't use the cable or the fincular. I assume it will be faster with the help of machinery.

However I'm now that you said the secnary isn't that great, concerned that I will miss out on Bergen sight seeing? I don't know I'm torn on this decision

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

On the scenery---it is certainly attractive and would delight anyone. It is varied rock and mountain pond/lakes, with distant mountains. Everyone's opinions of scenery is different. I just meant that I prefer the classic Norwegian fjord beauty---waterfalls, fjords, farms, etc. On Google Images you might enter Vidden trail and look at some of the photos.

On the "machinery" assists---the climb up to Ulriken is exhausting; the cable car would definitely save time and energy. Walking down from Floyen is easy and pleasant, and the final ten minutes has you descending among some of the nice streets and homes in Bergen.

Several years ago, I did the Vidden while in port on a cruise. I walked from the ship to the cable car, and I walked down from Floyen rather than take the funicular. .....

Ok Gene, one last question if I may. Did you have any time after the hike to visit Bryggen , or any other Bergen attraction? Our ship docks for total of ten hours and I'm curious to know if it's possible to hike and tour in the same day

As said earlier, I walked the entire loop---from ship to ship via, in order, Ulriken, the Vidden, Floyen, and back. The total distant was a bit over 27km, elapsed time 9 hours.

The Vidden itself, from Ulriken to Floyen, was 14km, elapsed time 4:40 (including stops for pictures and snack). Walking down from Floyen past Bryggen took 50 minutes.

I don't "run", but I am an experienced hiker and I keep moving. If you can figure how long the bus/cable car combination will take you to get to Ulriken, the above results may help.

If you happen to use Garmin GPS and/or Basecamp software, I could email you the .gpx track log of the journey.

As said earlier, I walked the entire loop---from ship to ship via, in order, Ulriken, the Vidden, Floyen, and back. The total distant was a bit over 27km, elapsed time 9 hours.

The Vidden itself, from Ulriken to Floyen, was 14km, elapsed time 4:40 (including stops for pictures and snack). Walking down from Floyen past Bryggen took 50 minutes.

I don't "run", but I am an experienced hiker and I keep moving. If you can figure how long the bus/cable car combination will take you to get to Ulriken, the above results may help.

If you happen to use Garmin GPS and/or Basecamp software, I could email you the .gpx track log of the journey.

Sorry to hijack your thred but we are on that same cruise and would love to get the .gpx track for my garmin?

My email is goofylevine@ googles email

Sorry to hijack your thred but we are on that same cruise and would love to get the .gpx track for my garmin?

No such thing as a hijack.....all are welcome.

I will email you the track and related waypoints.

One note to emphasize---My ship was in port for 12 hours. I left the ship about 8:15am, unsure of what I might do. First stop was the mall at the bus station, and only then did I decide to go to the cable car and maybe hike up. So, I had a somewhat slow start. I reached the cable car just before noon. Only then, knowing the ship wasn't leaving until 8:00pm, did I decide to take the Vidden.

So, my all-walking 9 hours elapsed time was almost nonstop. 15 minute detour to the bus station mall, 15 minutes at Ulriken, 5 minutes at Floyen. I think taking the bus and/or cable car is a necessity if one has only 10 hours (9 1/2 assuming all aboard is 30 minutes before departure). I always want a minimum of one hour for surprises!

Hi again goofy

You interested in this route too? Maybe we can give each other company , it would make it more comforting in case we got lost[emoji23] jk

Could you please forward me the gps track when you receive them.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
Ok Gene, one last question if I may. Did you have any time after the hike to visit Bryggen , or any other Bergen attraction? Our ship docks for total of ten hours and I'm curious to know if it's possible to hike and tour in the same day

Another Hijack ;) Seranade of the Seas is docking at Bontelabo, which is very close to the city centre, and only a 5 minute walk past the historic waterfront at Bryggen...so once you reach the bottom of fløyen and find yourself back in town, you'll be passing right in front of Bryggen to get back to the ship anyway. You should easily have a bit of time spare to explore and take it all in :)