Super cool old photos of old cruise ships and what they did for fun!

foxygrl

Well, I don't see why you wouldn't be allowed.

Did you catch that gorgeous double staircase? Remind anyone of anything? Other than that, the ship looks a lot more like Princess than DCL...then I saw the Cunard label. And of course, these were the first class areas.

Thank you for posting. One reason I was able to grudgingly pull myself away from Cunard to 1st sail Disney (aside from loving WDW & knowing they would do it right) was due to the fact that they did follow the classic liners. The art deco insides are also just amazingly detailed and I really enjoy them.

Although I am taking a short break to try a few other lines, I absolutely love Cunard - it is the closest thing you can get to stepping back in time. There are beautiful vintage liner touches everywhere, formal nights 3 or 4 nights per voyage, fresh flowers everywhere, and a big band every night with ballroom dancing. They call their 1st class "Grills" class and it is not quite like it once was in the photos above. People who have never sailed think Cunard retains this stringent class distinction, but really it is the size of your cabin, some nice amenities & lounges, but mostly it is dining in the Queens Grill which is the highlight, being a separate restaurant where you can order whatever you might dream up, with a little notice of course. It is not a regimented class division as it once was. I wish more people who love classic liners would try Cunard - it is just amazing.

On deck 2/3 of QM2, there are pictures of old Cunard liners, pax, etc. There is a huge picture of Walt and his family on the original Queen Mary! Awesome!

The original QM is nice to see in Long Beach but I would never stay on her as a hotel again - the walls are too paper thin. When she was sailing, engine noise took care of quelling the sounds of your neighbors, but now that she is still, you hear ...everything. I always thank the Disney imagineers who decided the classic liner was not dead - and gave a nod to tradition.

I forgot to add...if you love these pictures and want to hear/see more, look up Bill Miller - aka "Mr. Ocean Liner" on Amazon and purchase a book or two. His are heavy on the gorgeous pics but have some history too. Another book if you want to read is J Maxtone-Graham's - "The Only Way to Cross" (still is the only way, to me!)

I noticed in the link above there are a great many Cunarders - I even noticed the interiors of Aquitania, and a few more modern QE2. The French Line Normandie is another one to look at with beautiful interiors. If you want to enjoy Disney - then there is a book about the making of the Disney Magic - I bought it used on Amazon, as I don't think it is even in print anymore. Lots of nice details about creating a liner - style ship with Disney touches.