Clarification, please

cjcruises

Happy Monday, everyone

Sorry if this becomes long and confusing, but I need a bit of clarification (since my experience on these boards is that you guys are often more knowledgeable than the PCCs).

In March, we booked a 10-day Morocco/Canary Islands sailing for next year. We booked a mini suite and a large balcony (MS for DH and me, the balcony next door for the kids). A few days later, still in March, we changed our reservation to the 22-day (b2b) and switched to 2 large balconies to bring down costs a bit.

Cut to yesterday. I was checking prices and noticed that balconies had gone WAY up, but Haven Suites had dropped significantly. We called, and switched our reservation to a 2 bdrm family suite.

When we initially booked, we chose UBP as our perk. At that time (March), Haven guests received UBP, UDP, gratuities and OBC.

In April, OBC was removed and replaced with shore excursion credit.

Last night, they cancelled one reservation (for 1 cabin) and added it to the other one. The perks we are getting are the April perks - which are great. Even though we book private excursions which render the shore ex credit meaningless to us. Still, no complaints. We're thrilled!

But, since this is really a change to our March booking, shouldn't we be getting the OBC instead?! I asked and was told no, but it doesn't really make sense to me as tis isn't a new reservation.

Again, please understand that I am not complaining, and not disappointed. That said, OBC would be more useful to us, so if there is a way to go back to NCL with a legitimate request for it, I'd like to do so.

Thanks for any knowledge and insight you can share.

Happy Monday, everyone

Sorry if this becomes long and confusing, but I need a bit of clarification (since my experience on these boards is that you guys are often more knowledgeable than the PCCs).

In March, we booked a 10-day Morocco/Canary Islands sailing for next year. We booked a mini suite and a large balcony (MS for DH and me, the balcony next door for the kids). A few days later, still in March, we changed our reservation to the 22-day (b2b) and switched to 2 large balconies to bring down costs a bit.

Cut to yesterday. I was checking prices and noticed that balconies had gone WAY up, but Haven Suites had dropped significantly. We called, and switched our reservation to a 2 bdrm family suite.

When we initially booked, we chose UBP as our perk. At that time (March), Haven guests received UBP, UDP, gratuities and OBC.

In April, OBC was removed and replaced with shore excursion credit.

Last night, they cancelled one reservation (for 1 cabin) and added it to the other one. The perks we are getting are the April perks - which are great. Even though we book private excursions which render the shore ex credit meaningless to us. Still, no complaints. We're thrilled!

But, since this is really a change to our March booking, shouldn't we be getting the OBC instead?! I asked and was told no, but it doesn't really make sense to me as tis isn't a new reservation.

Again, please understand that I am not complaining, and not disappointed. That said, OBC would be more useful to us, so if there is a way to go back to NCL with a legitimate request for it, I'd like to do so.

Thanks for any knowledge and insight you can share.

You are canceling and re-booking at the current price with the currently available offer, so you get the April promo, not the March promo. Sorry you don't get the OBC (which I would also prefer), but it sounds like you got a good deal all around. Enjoy your cruise and extra suite perks.

I get that, except they didn't cancel both reservations. They cancelled one (we had toe reservation numbers) and added three people to to the other, original reservation.

Does it count as a cancellation if they didn't refund the deposit (one one reservation)? That's why I'm confused.

If it counts as a cancellation and rebooking then fine, I'm a happy, very grateful person to be able to travel as we do. At the same, I'm confused as to why it's considered a new booking when they cancelled one of two reservations and added people to the reservation that wasn't cancelled.

I get that, except they didn't cancel both reservations. They cancelled one (we had toe reservation numbers) and added three people to to the other, original reservation.

Does it count as a cancellation if they didn't refund the deposit (one one reservation)? That's why I'm confused.

If it counts as a cancellation and rebooking then fine, I'm a happy, very grateful person to be able to travel as we do. At the same, I'm confused as to why it's considered a new booking when they cancelled one of two reservations and added people to the reservation that wasn't cancelled.

You are still re-booking at today's rates. I just did it myself. Went from one cabin to two. Kept the original reservation number for the one cabin, but it's still a re-booking.

There is probably someone else on the boards who can answer in greater detail about the workings of the booking system than I can. All I can tell you is that my understanding is that it is considered the cancellation of your existing room reservation and rebooking in a different room. If you think about it, it makes sense - they price the cabins based on supply/demand and the promos that they are offering at a point in time. They weren't offering your suite at the price you want to pay when they were offering a more lucrative incentive package - otherwise you would have booked it then. You are getting the benefit of the bargain that was offered with the price you wished to pay.

As others said it is a complete re-booking. By keeping the one reservation numbers it just makes the whole process easier. If they had cancelled both reservation numbers you would have been required to pay a new deposit at time of booking and you would be waiting for a refund to your credit card of the deposit paid on the two balcony cabins.Doing it this way also makes it easier on the person on the other end, data entry, refunds etc. This way there is less chance of errors.

Rochelle

Awesome. Thanks for the clarification. Now, my next question- since this is a new booking, I'll get the extra Latitudes points that come with a suite, right?!

Yes, you should but send an email and get the response in writing

Edited by DrNora

I did this last year. Same reservation number but on the confirmation the booking date changed (top right). We lost our extra latitude point for booking 9 months out but upgraded to the 2 bedroom and had my fare refunded for KSF promo. Ended up with a refund, 2 bathrooms and enough room to have an afternoon gathering for my 10 cousins who were also onboard.