Our 77 yo Mom agreed to go on Cruise with us. Ideas/ guidance to make it enjoyable.

carlielyn

My husband & I are in our late 40's. We also persuaded my Mom who is 77 to go.

We are so pleased that she is going!

She is 1 year cancer-free as of April 6th of 2017.

She was operated on at The University Of Pennsylvania.

She lives in an in-law apartment at our house.

Every time we ask her to do something she says "when you get to be my age you'll just want to stay home."

I can't begin to imagine what she's been through and how scared and depressed she must feel.

She recently had a common out-patient procedure where she was met with 2 physical therapists who asked what her activity level was. She was honest. She told them she mainly lays in bed & watches tv.

They asked about her meals. My Mom told them my sister (who lives with her) brings them to her. They told her they wanted her to walk more and to start eating meals at the dinner table.

When I mentioned my hub & I cruising to Bermuda & asked if they thought that would be good they said a very hearty "absolutely!"

I asked my Mom if I could call & book her right then. To my amazement she said "yes!" It was better than any and every Christmas I've ever had-even as a little kid!

Anyway-----SO sorry for the long intro-but I want my Mom to see beautiful things. She hadn't been to many places. She gets out of breath easily due to her lack of activity since her cancer diagnosis.

We are bringing a wheelchair for when she gets winded.

We've been watching YouTube videos of Bermuda. She loved the pink sand on Horseshoe Bay. We wouldn't want to stay long, just long enough to take in the beauty & get some photos. She also seemed to like the smaller streets that looked very quaint with shops & the old graveyards.

We have never been to Bermuda & would be so appreciative to any direction or ideas.

She likes to shop, eat, see pretty things-as I said she loved an old graveyard she saw (I don't think it was the naval one.) it was one that was also very old & told exactly how one passed.

It seems as the mall, The Frog & Onion & other things around dockyard would be great.

My two main questions (besides anything else you can recommend) are:

Is the festival enjoyable? It seems to have a lot of color & vendors. We were thinking of reserving a table on a balcony for dinner on Front St where I read is a good spot.

My other question is, do you recommend a taxi/cab driver? I read somewhere of one who took a family for a tour and dropped them at the festival at the end-they then took a ferry back to their cruise ship.

I'm sorry so let's long. I just want to make this the most enjoyable trip for all of us, but especially my Mom.

We are sailing on the NCL Breakaway from 5/7 to 5/14.

Thanks very much in advance for any guidance and tips you have to offer.

I took my mom last year for her 80th birthday, she has some mobility issues and uses a cane so we rented her a mobility scooter from the cruise ship. The first day in Bermuda we took a taxi tour and he took us all over the island and we were able to stop at several places including beaches and not walk too much. She loved it! The next day we took her around the dockyard, we went to snorkel park and she sat at a table with and umbrella and enjoyed the view while we swam and kayaked. We then went to Frog and Onion and it was awesome. I hope you have a great trip [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you, Hockeymom! The mobility scooter is an awesome idea! I would have never thought of that. I really appreciate it.

I booked a 5 hour tour today for one of the days & thought we'd do the dock area & The Clock Tower Mall for a little another day.

I'm so glad to hear The Frog & Onion is awesome!

Thank you again. You've been very helpful.

A taxi tour sounds ideal. But if she's genuinely used to lying in bed watching tv, she might be pretty tired a few days into the cruise with all the on board activity, and welcome a day of rest, just looking out to sea/the island. Depending on what ship you're on, you might consider a spa pass for that.

The sail in/out of Bermuda has lots of beautiful views.

I remember going on a cruise with my 82 year old grandmother and she shocked the heck out of us by really perking up -- this woman who pecked at her food filled her buffet plate high and ate every bite! She hadn't been out to see live entertainment in years and loved the shows -- it was a marvelous trip for her.

Do be careful about seasick patches if she decides to wear one - you might even try it at home (doctor willing). She should discuss with her doctor/pharmacist about interactions with any meds she's on. My grandmother really got loopy the first night and took about 24 hrs to recover once we took her patch off.