Questions re: Seattle, touring, eating

cuterlmt

Hubby and I are flying in, and will be in Seattle on a Sunday around 11am. Plan to take a cab and drop our luggage off at the Amtrak station on King Street, and tour a bit. We want to go to SkyView Observatory (Columbia Tower), and possibly Smith Tower (many thanks to CCers for the suggestions!) We will also want to have a meal before we get on the evening train to Vancouver.

Some questions:

1) We want to walk from the Amtrak station to the Towers. It looks like it's not too far - we both walk at least 3 miles a day, and think we would like the walk after being on the plane for three hours, and before we're on a train for several hours. Is this doable? We won't have luggage, just a backpack. Are the areas safe? Should we do a different option than walking? We do not want to rent a car. Any suggestions about a safe route to take?

2) I looked at the food options at Columbia Tower, and it looks like the food court is not open on Sunday. Just the snack bar at the top. We would rather have a nice sit down meal before we go on the train. Not sure we'll have breakfast, and likely only a snack on the train. Any good suggestions for a place between Amtrak station and the tower? Again, we'd like to walk. Hubby is not a sandwich eater (except burgers), no sushi, no dim sum. Fish and chips would be ok, or something hearty. I don't want anything too spicy before we get on the train. We aren't drinkers so no need for a place with beer/liquor. I do see that Smith Tower has food options, but it looks like it's just a bar with bar food. I think we'd like something more like a meal.

3) How early should we be back at the Amtrak station?

4) Do the Amtrak trains sell out? I tried to buy our Amtrak tickets, but they require passport info and we haven't received our passports yet. Our trip is in late August 2017.

I think that's it for now! Thanks for your help.

3) How early should we be back at the Amtrak station?

4) Do the Amtrak trains sell out? I tried to buy our Amtrak tickets, but they require passport info and we haven't received our passports yet. Our trip is in late August 2017.

3) At least an hour before the train leaves if you want to check bags and care about getting a waterside seat.

4) Yes, they do - it's not rare in cruise season to have totally full trains, and the prices only go up as categories of tickets sell out. They do take other forms of ID than just passports - try inputting your drivers license number and see if the website will accept the booking, then you can amend it when you get your passports. You could also book by phone if you don't have any ID the website will accept, a real person should have more flexibility than a webform.

You don't actually need a passport to get into Canada by land if you're a US citizen - just proof of citizenship and proof of identity, so a birth cert & driving license will do the job - it's the southbound trip back into the US that needs more stringent WHTI-compliant ID. Our CBSA generally ask for the more stringent US requirements at the border, to avoid you getting stuck in Canada unable to return to the US, but since you'll actually have your passport by the time of your trip that won't be an issue.

1) We want to walk from the Amtrak station to the Towers. It looks like it's not too far - we both walk at least 3 miles a day, and think we would like the walk after being on the plane for three hours, and before we're on a train for several hours. Is this doable? We won't have luggage, just a backpack. Are the areas safe? Should we do a different option than walking? We do not want to rent a car. Any suggestions about a safe route to take?

2) I looked at the food options at Columbia Tower, and it looks like the food court is not open on Sunday. Just the snack bar at the top. We would rather have a nice sit down meal before we go on the train. Not sure we'll have breakfast, and likely only a snack on the train. Any good suggestions for a place between Amtrak station and the tower? Again, we'd like to walk. Hubby is not a sandwich eater (except burgers), no sushi, no dim sum. Fish and chips would be ok, or something hearty. I don't want anything too spicy before we get on the train. We aren't drinkers so no need for a place with beer/liquor. I do see that Smith Tower has food options, but it looks like it's just a bar with bar food. I think we'd like something more like a meal.

Here's a possible walking route with a couple of twists thrown in - https://goo.gl/maps/zZvfBkqUb2F2

On a summer Sunday (really, any time) it's quite safe. Yes, there are street people in the Pioneer Square area. Seattle is a typical big American city with typical big-city issues, but they're not dangerous and will leave you alone if you leave them alone. But you'll probably be surrounded by "baseball" fans (I use quotes because it's the Mariners), soccer fans, or if it's in late enough August, even Seahawks fans (exhibition games) who will clog up the streets in all directions between Pioneer Square and the stadiums, just south of King Street Station.

The walk up to Columbia Center is short but quite steep. There's an entrance to the Columbia Center on Fourth, a (steep) block lower than the main entrance on Fifth, but I might phone to see if that entrance is open on Sundays.

Regarding food, I've thrown out a couple of options. First, you can go right down the hill from the Columbia Center to the central waterfront and have a meal at Ivar's Acres of Clams. This is an old-fashioned (and locally iconic) fish restaurant (and take away fish bar) sitting on the water. It's a local institution with good (not great but consistently good) food. (Ivar Haglund, the founder, owned the Smith Tower for a period.) http://www.ivars.com/locations/acres-of-clams

Second, and frankly I'd do this if I were you, I've shown the West Seattle Water Taxi route on the map. This is a passenger-only ferry that crosses Elliott Bay from just south of the main Coleman Dock ferry terminal to Seacrest Park in West Seattle. Here's the schedule - http://www.kingcounty.gov/depts/transportation/water-taxi/west-seattle.aspx

At the water taxi dock in West Seattle is a very fun, very Seattle - cafe, Marination Ma Kai - https://www.yelp.com/biz/marination-ma-kai-seattle . The food is fun - sort of a Korean/Mexican/Hawaiian mashup with terrific fish and chips, great fish and pork tacos, several Hawaiian favorites like Loco Moco or Spam musubi.. They have a fantastic outdoor deck (and a full bar) but even if you're not consumers of alcohol, there's soda and iced tea and Hawaiian shave ice - and possibly the best view in all of Seattle, e.g.

20091226_45s.jpg

20091226_30a.jpg

From the dock/park there's a level pedestrian/bike path that runs along the waterfront for a couple of miles to Alki Beach, with terrific views of passing ferries and the Olympic mountains as well as the skyline. There's also a free shuttle bus that will bring you back to the dock if you don't want to walk both ways. (Or there are bike rentals right at the dock, too.)

View from Alki Beach -

20140513_47H2.jpg

So honestly, if it was me I'd skip the Columbia Center altogether and use those dollars and hours instead to get the great views and fresh air across the bay, have a decent meal at Marination, or come back in time for Ivar's. You'd have plenty of time to get to the station in time for the train.

If Asian is an option, there are several excellent choices that are quite walkable from the Amtrak station - check out the food court at Uwajimaya, or consider Shanghai Garden (exceptional hand-shaven noodles). My personal go-to in the neighborhood is Jade Garden - the selections from the live tank are always fantastic. It's a few more short blocks with a slight uphill grade, but worth it.

Three blocks from the station is Quality Athletics, a casual "elevated sports bar" concept - it's quite good - a certain local restauranteur dines there pretty frequently when he's tired of his 13 places.

I won't argue with Ivar's or Marination - I've been to both in the last few weeks.

Shawn O'Donnell's Irish Pub is located at the bottom of Smith Tower on the street. We ate there are last time in Seattle and it was great! They have several around the city so it's not completely original by any means but I thought the food was fantastic. Our server was very friendly. And you get to see some of Pioneer Square from there.

We did walk there from the market. If you want seafood and touristy I recommend the Crab Pot, it was on Food Network and it's down on the pier area. The food we had there was very good. We were lucky enough to be able to sit outside.

There are lots of small cafes and walk up to the window, take out kind of places along the market that are very good. Especially for small bites. Lots of pastry and bread shops and excellent bubble tea. My favorite place is right on the corner facing the market. She blends fresh fruit right before your eyes so you know it's all natural. They do smoothies as well so you don't have to get the tapioca pearls . But I love them haha.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Forums mobile app

Shawn O'Donnell's Irish Pub is located at the bottom of Smith Tower on the street. We ate there are last time in Seattle and it was great! They have several around the city so it's not completely original by any means but I thought the food was fantastic.

We visit the one in Everett pretty regularly. The Salmon of Knowledge and the Irish Whisky Mac & Cheese are both very good hearty foods. Menu

When Ivar owned the Smith Tower he put a giant Sockeye Salmon wind sock on the top.

smith-t-salmon-sock-web1.jpg?w=500&h=713

City Hall didn't like it but fighting to keep it got Ivar a lot of publicity. He was an expert at that.