Just off the Wonder--and I Wonder about this dry dock

We just got off the Wonder. I liked the new addition of Tiana's. Other than that nothing really stood out. It's funny because cm's kept asking us how we liked the changes. I actually forgot they had refurbed it until the second day of the cruise. We spent 12 days on the Magic this Summer and that was what was still fresh in my mind. Other then Tiana's place the difference between the Wonder and the Magic don't really stand out. This was our 4th cruise on the Wonder. I liked highway 66. I was kind of sad to see that go. We've been on the Magic 3 times, but I never saw it pre- refurb.

Edited by sm3ds

We just got off the Wonder. I liked the new addition of Tiana's. Other than that nothing really stood out. It's funny because cm's kept asking us how we liked the changes. I actually forgot they had refurbed it until the second day of the cruise. We spent 12 days on the Magic this Summer and that was what was still fresh in my mind. Other then Tiana's place the difference between the Wonder and the Magic don't really stand out. This was our 4th cruise on the Wonder. I liked highway 66. I was kind of sad to see that go. We've been on the Magic 3 times, but I never saw it pre- refurb.

how was frozen?

how was frozen?

We didn't see it. I didn't care for the movie so I wasn't interested. There have been very few animated Disney movie I have liked lately. I have teen boys they like the Marvel movies, but I don't really care for most of those either.

We didn't see it. I didn't care for the movie so I wasn't interested. There have been very few animated Disney movie I have liked lately. I have teen boys they like the Marvel movies, but I don't really care for most of those either.

but it's not a movie, it's a stage show.

i of course haven't seen frozen, but i've seen other DCL productions and the quality is quite high level....

oh well...maybe you'll have time to see it next time :)

but it's not a movie, it's a stage show.

i of course haven't seen frozen, but i've seen other DCL productions and the quality is quite high level....

Well, the poster was probably in my same position, ie. "It looks like a great stage production, but I don't really want to see it, because that would be like sitting through the movie again..."

Well, the poster was probably in my same position, ie. "It looks like a great stage production, but I don't really want to see it, because that would be like sitting through the movie again..."

Ha exactly. After sitting through Toy story I decided never again on the Disney stage shows. Maybe if they ever do Lion King I'll Give them a second chance.

Edited by sm3ds

Ha exactly. After sitting through Toy story I decided never again on the Disney stage shows. Maybe if they ever do Lion King I'll Give them a second chance.

I looked up some of the older stage shows on YouTube to see which I should give a chance. (Apparently, they're also simulcast on the cabin TV's, since they don't have to worry about losing ticket sales?)

Looking at the Navigators, the 4 and 7-day Wonders have "Golden Mickeys" and "Dreams"--

Golden Mickeys has some good isolated stage re-enactments of the core songs, but otherwise plays like an early 00's history-of-Disney special on ABC, complete with video appearances by Angela Lansbury and Tim Allen (and they seem to have since mercifully replaced Whoopi Goldberg, who must appear in all Disney retrospectives, with Bob Iger).

Dreams is more of a big-number-retrospective with a plot, as Peter Pan takes a girl back through the big Disney numbers, and feels more like a cuddly Disney-cruise-ship show. (While Believe on the other ships seems to be pretty much the same concept, only with the Aladdin stage-show's Genie and a busy dad.)

Frozen does look high-quality if you're, well, into that, but neither of the others seems to be up to quite the stuff of the park Aladdin show or the Cinderella III show. But don't worry, they don't appear to get any worse than Toy Story.

Edited by EJanss

Just off the Wonder this morning. Frozen was torture because it's basically the damn Frozen soundtrack, but I promised kid so I stayed. Now, the lights, 3D effects, snow, confetti were were spectacular! I wasn't a fan of the puppets. So great show, if you wearing headphones though Elsa hit the song perfectly. Great show, just realize you're sitting through the Frozen Soundtrack.

The issues we had were it was hot in the halls and dinning rooms. When I spoke to the captain he blamed it on people leaving balcony doors open-doubtful given the crappy weather and out of 9cruises I've never experienced it being hot like this. And no clocks in stateroom, by the pool and the one by guest service didn't work.

Cruise27: we felt the same about fewer character appearances and most were super early or late while we were sleeping or getting ready for bed. Hook had ONE short appearance on pirate morning EARLY, then final farewell but I never saw where he went.

I found there were tons of activities for family and kids.

I didn't see any princess wakabouts and only four princesses for the meet and greet- Tiana, Belle, Cinderella, and Arial. No snowwhite, Jasmine, Aurora. No Peter Pan, but they had tinker bell.

If last week was their worst, it's still by far better than RCL's and CCLS best, in regards to cruising with young kids.

Just off the Wonder this morning. Frozen was torture because it's basically the damn Frozen soundtrack, but I promised kid so I stayed. Now, the lights, 3D effects, snow, confetti were were spectacular! I wasn't a fan of the puppets. So great show, if you wearing headphones though Elsa hit the song perfectly. Great show, just realize you're sitting through the Frozen Soundtrack.

The issues we had were it was hot in the halls and dinning rooms. When I spoke to the captain he blamed it on people leaving balcony doors open-doubtful given the crappy weather and out of 9cruises I've never experienced it being hot like this. And no clocks in stateroom, by the pool and the one by guest service didn't work.

Cruise27: we felt the same about fewer character appearances and most were super early or late while we were sleeping or getting ready for bed. Hook had ONE short appearance on pirate morning EARLY, then final farewell but I never saw where he went.

when you say "frozen soundtrack" the implication is that the actors are lip syncing - which they're not.

when you say "frozen soundtrack" the implication is that the actors are lip syncing - which they're not.

Fair enough. They are singing, very well I'll add. I'm told let it go is a difficult song and she did it perfectly. But it's still all of the songs from Frozen.

I can think of a 100 other things I'd rather do on my last night at sea. Dh was lucky, a baby was fussy and he got to leave. I was stuck there.

Don't get me wrong, great show! The lights, the effects were awesome. I'd say it's a better show than Dreams (disclaimer, I haven't seen any of the other shows I'm only comparing the two).

Fair enough. They are singing, very well I'll add. I'm told let it go is a difficult song and she did it perfectly. But it's still all of the songs from Frozen.

I can think of a 100 other things I'd rather do on my last night at sea. Dh was lucky, a baby was fussy and he got to leave. I was stuck there.

Don't get me wrong, great show! The lights, the effects were awesome. I'd say it's a better show than Dreams (disclaimer, I haven't seen any of the other shows I'm only comparing the two).

i like some of the shows better than others..

i don't think they even perform one of my favorites anymore - hercules...

i'm pretty sure it's not on any ship ...but it was really well done...and i loved it, despite not liking the music at all....but it was so well done...

but that's ancient history i think...

hopefully, i'll have a chance to see tangled on the magic...we're planning on a med cruise in 2018 (if they ever come out with itineraries)...

DD said tangled was amazing (and that's one of her least liked disney movies)...and the cast outstanding ....

she and DSIL skipped dinner so they could see it twice :)

We haven't seen the Frozen movie and I really liked the play.....not enough to see the movie but the play was so well done. Voices, costumes, special effects were all beautiful.

In regards to our initial issues I wanted to update that we have heard from Disney and agreed upon a generous discount for a future cruise. They were very easy to work with, gracious, and apologetic. It was what you would expect from Disney.

We haven't seen the Frozen movie and I really liked the play.....not enough to see the movie but the play was so well done. Voices, costumes, special effects were all beautiful.

In regards to our initial issues I wanted to update that we have heard from Disney and agreed upon a generous discount for a future cruise. They were very easy to work with, gracious, and apologetic. It was what you would expect from Disney.

very good to hear!!

• 2 weeks later...
We have the Wonder booked for a March Cruise. I hope they shake out the problems before then.

Me too. Our cabin is somewhere on the lower deck in the aft area. I hope things are cleared up by May.

I cruise for creme brûlée, lobster and warm chocolate melting cake!

I looked up some of the older stage shows on YouTube to see which I should give a chance. (Apparently, they're also simulcast on the cabin TV's, since they don't have to worry about losing ticket sales?)

Looking at the Navigators, the 4 and 7-day Wonders have "Golden Mickeys" and "Dreams"--

Golden Mickeys has some good isolated stage re-enactments of the core songs, but otherwise plays like an early 00's history-of-Disney special on ABC, complete with video appearances by Angela Lansbury and Tim Allen (and they seem to have since mercifully replaced Whoopi Goldberg, who must appear in all Disney retrospectives, with Bob Iger).

Dreams is more of a big-number-retrospective with a plot, as Peter Pan takes a girl back through the big Disney numbers, and feels more like a cuddly Disney-cruise-ship show. (While Believe on the other ships seems to be pretty much the same concept, only with the Aladdin stage-show's Genie and a busy dad.)

Frozen does look high-quality if you're, well, into that, but neither of the others seems to be up to quite the stuff of the park Aladdin show or the Cinderella III show. But don't worry, they don't appear to get any worse than Toy Story.

Yes, a pre-recorded show is shown on the Stateroom TV at the same time as the performances. The Cast and ship may not even be the same, but it is a good alternative for those that cannot or chose not to attend the show.

And A+ for working out when the Golden Mickeys debuted! 2003!

First on the Wonder and then the Magic. But it has had several "refreshes" to update the Acts over the years.

ex techie

We have the Wonder booked for a March Cruise. I hope they shake out the problems before then.

Me too. Our cabin is somewhere on the lower deck in the aft area. I hope things are cleared up by May.

The one thing everyone needs to remember is that even a brand new ship straight out of dock or 6 months out of the dock after construction will have problems, such as toilets not flushing, water maybe being brown until you run it for a few minutes.

Ships are huge mechanical behemoths, moving around, vibrating, twisting and flexing, and sometimes not everything works 24/7.

There is no excuse for mouldy smelling carpets, but your toilet may not flush each and every time when you push the button right away, your air conditioning may need servicing if it fails, and stuff does break down. Even if it is new.

ex techie

your toilet may not flush each and every time when you push the button right away, your air conditioning may need servicing if it fails, and stuff does break down. Even if it is new.

ex techie

Understatement of the year! I was on the maiden voyage of the Magic--the first cruise with paying guests. There had been a VIP cruise with about 230 people on board a few days before, then the christening, and then our cruise with 2700 paying guests. To say that "everything" broke would be only a slight exaggeration. They were not ready or equipped for 2700 guests and much of the equipment was not up to the load. For instance, all of the ice machines on deck 9 broke, there were lines 45-60 minutes long for seating in Parrot Cay for lunch, etc. It was both a system issue and an equipment issue. Fortunately, it was all resolved rather quickly from reports of cruisers a few months or even weeks later.

Understatement of the year! I was on the maiden voyage of the Magic--the first cruise with paying guests. There had been a VIP cruise with about 230 people on board a few days before' date=' then the christening, and then our cruise with 2700 paying guests. To say that "everything" broke would be only a slight exaggeration. They were not ready or equipped for 2700 guests and much of the equipment was not up to the load. For instance, all of the ice machines on deck 9 broke, there were lines 45-60 minutes long for seating in Parrot Cay for lunch, etc. It was both a system issue and an equipment issue. Fortunately, it was all resolved rather quickly from reports of cruisers a few months or even weeks later.[/quote']

Given the shipyard she came from, she did well to make it to her first cruise even as late as she was! :p :D

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Hehe, you beat me to the correction.

While it is memorable to be the "first" on a new ship. I would rather wait and go the next year. I have had my fair share of stuff not functioning at work and in personal life. I would prefer to have vacation be memorable for other reasons.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk