hotel in southampton

Capri73

Novotel is nice and close to the centre. Has a lovely bar area plus there is a TGI Fridays and McD's just next door.

I've only been there with work so never actually looked for touristy things to do. I know there is a lot of maritime things there and been told the museum is good but never been.

Rather than repeat, some of these posts may be of interest.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=77624659

Jeff

Jeff can you repost your link please? That one won't work (for me at least).

Capri, how long will you be in Southampton?

There are some truly lovely places nearby if you're prepared to stay outside of the city itself and you want to see something of the English countryside.

If your stay will be brief the city itself can be interesting enough for a day or two.

What time of year are you visiting?

Yes the link is now dead for me. but was fine when I posted it. :(

Simplest is if you simply search on this forum for "posts" .... ie not threads as that will take forever ... for "Bucklers Hard" all my previous detailed suggestions for the area immediately around Southampton ie Bucklers Hard, New Forest, etc is all in those posts.

Southampton should be avoided at all reasonable costs .... and the direct areas around it has some gems which I have outlined in the above posts.

Ask.:)

Jeff

Yes the link is now dead for me. but was fine when I posted it. :(

Simplest is if you simply search on this forum for "posts" .... ie not threads as that will take forever ... for "Bucklers Hard" all my previous detailed suggestions for the area immediately around Southampton ie Bucklers Hard, New Forest, etc is all in those posts.

Southampton should be avoided at all reasonable costs .... and the direct areas around it has some gems which I have outlined in the above posts.

Ask.:)

Jeff

So annoying when that happens.

I know it's an area you're very familiar with and will point Capri in the right direction!

So annoying when that happens.

I know it's an area you're very familiar with and will point Capri in the right direction!

:)

These trips are so previous and they can be really wonderful - or dire .... particularly if Southampton remains the hub. The more suggestions the OP get's the better choice from him/her to select from ...... so do suggest alternatives!

Jeff

:)

These trips are so previous and they can be really wonderful - or dire .... particularly if Southampton remains the hub. The more suggestions the OP get's the better choice from him/her to select from ...... so do suggest alternatives!

Jeff

Well,depending on time of year and how long OP is in the area, I'd go New Forest and/or South Downs. But that's because I'm not really a city person. :)

New Forest, in no particular order : Lime Wood, Montague Arms. Different to the previous two, but superb, Chewton Glen.

Await more input from OP ;)

Spent a week at the Novotel in Southampton between two SS cruises end of August this year. It is clean, comfortable and has free wifi in entire. Second time stayed there. Visited with cruising friends. Easy access to various areas, depending if you have a car or check on local tour availability to Salisbury Cathedral, Stonehenge, Mary Rose for example.

The end of Aug before our cruise. probably just 1 day.

Capri, in that case, I'd probably suggest you go with the earlier recommendation in the city centre.

You'll be on the back of a long flight, excited about your cruise and a city centre hotel should do just fine for one night.

It's a shame though that your visit is so brief, if it's your visit to that part of our country, because the surrounding areas are beautiful. Maybe next time!

Capri, in that case, I'd probably suggest you go with the earlier recommendation in the city centre.

You'll be on the back of a long flight, excited about your cruise and a city centre hotel should do just fine for one night.

It's a shame though that your visit is so brief, if it's your visit to that part of our country, because the surrounding areas are beautiful. Maybe next time!

Thank you. I appreciate your help.The flight from Az is 10 hours with a 9 hour time difference so it is a long day.

Hey Capri,

We stayed at Ennios Boutique hotel in Southampton. It was the lowest priced place we could find at the time. It is a 5 minute walk to the pier.

We arrived at Heathrow from Toronto around 11:00 am and then took the National Coach to Southampton. We could have walked to the hotel from the coach station, but we opted for a taxi. We did end up walking there from the cruise ship terminal for our return to Heathrow and home.

We thought this was a beautiful little place and we just walked around the shops and such and there are lots of ruins scattered about. We didn't have time for the museum, but for the short time we were there, we really enjoyed it. The hotel staff was lovely as well and the room was really clean. No elevator though. We were on the second floor and we managed our luggage, but they did offer to do it for us.

Thinking about your challenge ...

With just a single night, I'd choose to stay 15 to 20 minutes away in Winchester. The Cathedral is one of hte loveliest in the UK and the town center is very scenic and completely different. I'd stay at The Hotel du Vin or anyone of the other places in Winchester depening on your budget.

I'd have lunch at The Wykeham Arms which I believe you will find a memorable experience and it is next door to the Cathedral.

The pretty slight inconvenience of being in Winchester for one night rather than Southampton and taking the short trip in for your cruise I think would be a decent decision.

Jeff

http://www.winchester-cathedral.org.uk/

https://www.hotelduvin.com/locations/winchester/?gclid=CKiNzOf4x8gCFRKeGwodbDMEzg

http://www.wykehamarmswinchester.co.uk/

The end of Aug before our cruise. probably just 1 day.

I think we are on the same cruise! Wind from Southampton to Lisbon?

We are flying into London on Thursday and then will hop train down Monday morning. Did this before and it's quite easy. See you on board.

Melissa

• 1 month later...
I think we are on the same cruise! Wind from Southampton to Lisbon?

We are flying into London on Thursday and then will hop train down Monday morning. Did this before and it's quite easy. See you on board.

Melissa

Hi,

Not sure how this works.I have read the rules. Since we are on the same cruise can we sponsor each other for the $250.00 onboard credit.We have sailed with SS before.

Thank you

Hi,

Not sure how this works.I have read the rules. Since we are on the same cruise can we sponsor each other for the $250.00 onboard credit.We have sailed with SS before.

Thank you

Capri,

This is our 4th on SS but our first on one of the small ships. Not sure if said OBC requires a "newbie" or not.

Melissa

How do we find out? I think from what I am reading we both are illegible.

Per the SS website under Venetian Society, a Venetian Society member may receive extra benefits when recommending a FIRST TIMER who sails on the same cruise.