Mini Splendida Review

Ti2m

This was a response I wrote on the X forum comparing X to MSC. I intend to do a full review eventually -

We actually loved our MSC Splendida cruise out of Barcelona. Mostly because of the crew and itinerary (Marseille, Genoa, Malaga, Casablanca, and Lisbon). Also I felt it was a good price for a 9 night cruise. They honored our platinum status a gave us free gratuities. The premium drink package was the best value of any we have had. It included candy, desserts, and gelatos. We enjoyed most of the entertainment. Great pizza and breads also. However I can't even compare it to any other cruise line that we've sailed. It was a unique experience for us.

There is a language barrier. Announcements are done in 4 or 5 languages. There is a lot of disorganization. Many fellow passengers just butt in line or pushed to the front. This was new to me. Even guest services allowed this. At one point I thought there was going to be a little riot there. MSC Port shuttles were the same. Embarkation and debarkation also chaotic.*

The MDR experience was the worst I've had (my wife disagrees). Food choices in the MDR were few and few of my selections were very good. Like I said my wife liked her selections more than I did. The lemon cake that was outstanding and also a braised chicory that I loved. Our table mates were awesome and that is the only reason we returned night after night. The breakfast and lunch buffets were fine. I did not gain a pound on this cruise.

I drink Manhattans which the lounge servers did not understand what a Manhattan was. I went directly to the bartender and he understood. I only had a problem once or twice after that. Everyone of the lounge and bar staff were terrific. The entire staff was pleasant.

We sailed with a lot of what seemed to be extended families but not a lot of children. The children were mostly well behaved. We only met one other couple from the US. Most passengers were from Italy and Germany. Many of the Germans were quite friendly and we had quite a few passengers and some crew that enjoyed speaking English with us.* They also wanted to talk about the US election but we refused LOL (this was in October). The ship was nice but it is a bit dated. Everything was spotless clean. The brass and Swarovski crystal staircases are beautiful.

This may sound critical but we would definitely do MSC again based on the price and itinerary. It was far from perfect but the crew and the itinerary made it wonderful vacation.

Not critical at all, just an honest report. Very helpful as I am considering a similar itinerary on the Meriviglia. Loved the Divina in the states but I know the experience will be different in Europe. Bob

Will embark tomorrow in Marseille, we've been in the city since yesterday and its lovely. It will be our first time in Splendida but third time with MSC. We won't feel the language barrier as much, but I get what you mean.

What I dislike the most is really that passing in front in lines and so on, but I felt it worse on Poesia than on Fantastica, lets hope this week will be the week of the well behaved ones🖒

Sent from my SM-G920F using Forums mobile app

What kind of beverages was offered for Breakfast, lunch and dinner? I like to drink water daily, can you order bottle water for your cabin? I am told coffee, tea and Juice is free for American passengers, did you have any problem with requesting these beverages? Thanks for your reply.

What kind of beverages was offered for Breakfast, lunch and dinner? I like to drink water daily, can you order bottle water for your cabin? I am told coffee, tea and Juice is free for American passengers, did you have any problem with requesting these beverages? Thanks for your reply.

We ate breakfast and lunch at the buffet. We only had coffee and tap water with ice for breakfast. They had a rolling German beer cart one morning also LOL. We never looked into getting juice. There is a bar set up (no seating) in the buffet area and I saw juices and some smoothie looking breakfast drinks. At lunch we had sodas, wine, or beer. Since we had the premium drink package (I forget the name) so the all the drinks in our room's mini bar were included. We would also take bottled water back from the bars all the time. We are big water drinkers also. There was always bottled water for us in the MDR. I think this was because we booked through MSC-USA.

About the drink package. Everything we purchased online (drink package, spa, internet, excursion) was missing from our reservation. Our first trip to the chaotic Guest Services. However they did have us down for water in the MDR. That's it.