Tallinn tour options

We almost have a full day in Tallinn and of course we'd like to see the Old Town but what then?

I've been doing a lot of reading and can not decide between the Kadriorg Palace or the Kalamaja neighbourhood.

Has anyone been to these two sites? Did you go with the cruise's tours or can you recommend a local company? What about the lines at the Kadriorg Palace?

Thank you.

So, just wanted to give a follow up on what we ended up doing in Tallinn. We decided that we would need to book a private tour because there was a lot to see and there was very little time.

We ended up booking with Walks In Europe who were headquartered in Tallinn and only use local guides with professional licenses. Booking was easy and efficient. It was good to pay with a card so we did not need to negoatiate with anyone.

We arrived in Tallinn earlier that what we scheduled but our guide was waiting for us at the dock. After a short introduction, we jumped in the vehicle and headed for the Kadriorg Palace. We had plenty of information on the way and our guided tour was great for the Palace.

Julia then took us to the old town where we enjoyed lunch and the major highlights of Tallinn.

It was a great day ( although it rained a lot ), we also had abour an hour on our own for shopping before Julia let us back to the dock on time.

We had a good experience and wanted to share it because I've started this thread.

Tokyo Mom,

My review is out of date (it's from 3 years ago and the information on Stockholm HOHO boats has changed) but there's a lot of info in the review in my signature line.

In Tallinn, the absolute highlight is the Old Town, but if it's raining (or if you like military history or have kids) the Seaplane Harbor Museum is great after you finish exploring the Old Town- it has a lot of hands on activities and is fun to explore after the old town.

Thank you for sharing this! I'm planning to go on my own but have been thinking about potentially using a guide. Helpful information is appreciated, so thanks!

We were there two weeks ago. If you are doing it on your own, I suggest getting a transport Smart card for 5 Euro at the R-Kiosk store in the ferry terminal. A single ride to the driver is 2 Euro. That will allow unlimited travel as the #3 tram goes to the Kadriorg Palace. The Old Town is walking distance to the cruise terminal. We walked to the Linnahall stop and rode the #2 tram to the Mere puistee stop. My wife went walking into the Old Town area from there while I rode on to visit other parts of the city. We met a few hours later for lunch and then rode from the Hobujamma stop to Kadriorg stop and the Palace. We then just reversed our route to return to the ship. Kadriorg Palace is probably less than a ten minute ride once on the tram.

There is some reorganizing of the routes currently underway so the routes may be different next year.