Driving to the port with kids...

colette5479

I'm trying to come up with some creative ideas to keep our two children ( and myself) sane along our long drive to the port. We are driving from OK to FL because we are visiting relatives along the way and then will be staying in Naples a few days before we head to Port Canaveral. I know....a parents worst nightmare! The kids are ages 10 and 3. So far I have came up with bringing the portable DVD player, a dry erase marker board, coloring books and crayons.....after this I need help! I would appreciate any helpful ideas!

We did road trips all the time when the boys were young and we had all sorts of games for them along the way. One was the license plate game where everyone would write down a guess on how many different license plates we would see on a particular trip. The boys just loved looking at all the cars and their plates and whoever came closest to the correct number won a small prize. On a long drive, you'd be surprised by how many state plates you'll see. There are also travel versions of board games for the kids. You can buy them at any travel or luggage store.

We've driven to our cruises in Port Canaveral, Fl and Galveston, Tx from---- get ready folks.......Nebraska!!! :D We have 3 kids ages 7-13 so the VCR player & tapes from Disney channel, Cartoon Network, and Nickolodean were invaluable. Plus I did a google search and came up with sites where I made personalized word searches, crosswords, etc. I think one good site was discoverykids.com?? Anyway, it was a bit of fun for them, looking for their friends names, teachers names, the ship name, various marine life titles, etc. And don't forget the personal CD player & CD's! Plus a snack bag full of goodies that I kept under wraps and surprised them with a little from every 1-2 hours. Good luck!

Don't laugh......I paid my kids to be good in the car!

Before we left I went to the bank and got $50 in singles. For every hour they were good, they got a dollar. May not work for the three year old, but for the 10 year old....those dollars add up to use in the arcade or souvineer shopping (which your probably going to give them money for anyway!)

We drive alot to the ports too from Michigan. Sure beats four airfares, especially at holiday times. With the money we save, were able to cruise more often.

Also remember that the emabarkation & debarkation can be a challenge with children. I would recommend some of those hand-held computer games or something. If you don't have the little GameBoys, you can get some off brand games. This will help keep the kids entertained while waiting in those long lines! :)

We use to drive from one end of the country to the other. One game we played when they were older was "Spot the Country". What you do while you are drivng is spot town/cities with names like Paris, Holland, Santa's Village ect. We also looked for names that were familar from around your area ie street names such as Dundas, Portland, Main, Queens, King etc. With the little one if the child knows color have that one spot colors of plates rather then states. When you do stop for the night make sure it has a pool and go for a swim. Try to stop at road side parks and have a little race with the kids or find a slide for the little one. Have a picnic instead of a restaunt. :)

Does your 10 yr. old have xbox or playstation? If so you can buy a cheap power inverter and plug the game system into it and run it through the dvd player. It keeps our kids happy on the many trips we've done from southern ontario to floriday (1300 miles one way). Good Luck!

Does your 10 yr. old have xbox or playstation? If so you can buy a cheap power inverter and plug the game system into it and run it through the dvd player. It keeps our kids happy on the many trips we've done from southern ontario to floriday (1300 miles one way). Good Luck!

We have a PS2....that's a good idea! I really appreciate hearing all of these suggestions. We will drive from Ok and stop in TN about 12 hours later. The next day we will take off and go to Naples, FL...another 12 hours. We have never been on a long road trip like this so I was racking my brain for things to do. I was planning on picnicing in TN somewhere. They have the most beautiful and clean rest stops.

Flying is more troube than it is worth anymore, with all of the security checks and such. I am not saying these are not needed and appreciated, but going through these with small children can be a nightmare.

Thanks for the suggestions and would listen to more!

Unless you want them melted in the cracks of the seats. Take colored pencils instead. They don't melt and they don't mark clothing or skin. If you don't want to rely entirely on electronics your three year old might enjoy a magnetic or felt board with various play pieces.

My kids are 5 and 7. Our DVD player is a lifesaver!:) Another thing I do is get out each of the kid's school backpack's. We go to the "Dollar Tree" and they pick out a few things each. At only a dollar a piece, it's cheap and they get stuff they like. The "Dollar Tree" has stuff like chalkboards w/chalk, markers, coloring books, puzzles, and candy. I also keep my eyes open at Wal-Mart or other dollar stores for a few "surprise" goodies to sneak into their backpacks when they're not looking. When it's finally time for our vacation, they have a whole backpack full of new goodies to keep them happily entertained. I let them take out one new thing each hour. And the backpack full of goodies comes in handy for down time spent in your cabin. It's nice for the kids to have something to play with while you're resting or taking a quick shower.:D

I used road maps. Mark the directions on the map before we go--using a pencil. Their job was to see how far we went in a given time. I makr where we were stopping. (it saves--are we almost there.) I also told them about the road mile markers.

I love the Dollar tree and the road map suggestions! I will start that project now! I did not know you could connect the PS2 in the rooms! My daughter loves the kids programs so much I doubt she would have time for it but that sis a great thought.

I think I will watch the crayons very carefully! I have leather seats and I do not want melted crayon all over them!

Thanks for the suggestions....keep them coming!!LOL

Valium?? Ambien?? Just mix it in their peanut butter or OJ.

This from a mother of five. ("Are we there yet?" "I have to pee". I'm hungry". "I want to go home").

Portable DVD player. Handcuffs. Duct tape (every cruiser will tell you to bring that). Portable DVD player with headphones. Clawfoot hammer. Large fist. Portable DVD player with headphones and a kazillion DVDs. Earplugs (for you). Fake dog for petting. Portable DVD player with earphones and a kazillion DVDs for EACH KID. Two cars...hire a driver for the second one (the one with the kids in it). My book, entitled "How To Give Your Kids That Look That Says 'BECAUSE I SAID SO, AND I MEAN IT!!'" ($.50 on e-bay).

Have a blast!!

Valium?? Ambien?? Just mix it in their peanut butter or OJ.

This from a mother of five. ("Are we there yet?" "I have to pee". I'm hungry". "I want to go home").

Portable DVD player. Handcuffs. Duct tape (every cruiser will tell you to bring that). Portable DVD player with headphones. Clawfoot hammer. Large fist. Portable DVD player with headphones and a kazillion DVDs. Earplugs (for you). Fake dog for petting. Portable DVD player with earphones and a kazillion DVDs for EACH KID. Two cars...hire a driver for the second one (the one with the kids in it). My book, entitled "How To Give Your Kids That Look That Says 'BECAUSE I SAID SO, AND I MEAN IT!!'" ($.50 on e-bay).

Have a blast!!

I'm a pharmacist so maybe I can take some drugs from work home.......LMAO!!!!

So are you up for the job as the second driver???? My kids are ANGELS.....:>)

Hi, Collette! My kids were "ANGELS", too! (Sure they were!) Sorry, but I have to drive my ailing self to the nearest Hospital that will take my BC/BS card that weekend, to renew my Rx for ANY controlled substance. I'm SO sorry I can't help you out!! :) :)!

Hi, Collette! My kids were "ANGELS", too! (Sure they were!) Sorry, but I have to drive my ailing self to the nearest Hospital that will take my BC/BS card that weekend, to renew my Rx for ANY controlled substance. I'm SO sorry I can't help you out!! :) :)!

BUMMER!!!!!

LMAO!!!

Archived