re-routing n the S. Carribean due to weather

asset allocator

We are goning S. Carribean cruise on September 5th on the AOS. The ports of call are Aruba, Curacao, St. Marteen, St. Thomas. Out of San Juan.

We were wondering if any of you have ever been on a cruise to these ports and had to be re-routed due to weather ? Where did you end up going ?

This area is supposed below the hurricane belt, have any of you had any severe weather down in that area ?

Would love to hear from anyone with inforamation.

Asset Allocator

We were wondering if any of you have ever been on a cruise to these ports and had to be re-routed due to weather ? Where did you end up going ?

It's my understanding that the captain's first duty is the safety of the passengers and then the safety of the ship. He will never deliberately sail his ship into dangerous weather.

I think the Zuiderdam sailing last week skipped Grand Cayman due to weather considerations, and the passengers spent the day at sea.

I've been told that it's not unheard of for entire itineraries to be changed if need be.

Hope this helps ...

Blue skies!

--rita

Aruba and Curacao are usually out of hurricane paths but the other Islands aren`t. St Maarten was hit badly a couple of years ago and lost their pier. Also I was in St Thomas right after a hurricane had damaged that Island..Ditto Puerto Rico. If a hurricane should be in the path of your itinerary, the Master of the ship will either find another port or just sail around. Friends 2 years ago in the W. Carib. didn`t hit any ports because of a hurricane. Its all in the small print in your contract what they can do......enjoy your cruise and don`t worry about it.....jean :cool:

Archived