Thinking of trying Windstar. . .

perlgirlnj

We've been on about 10 cruises, 5 or so on RCL/Celebrity for the Caribbean when we traveled with our then-teens, 1 Princess to Alaksa again with kids, more recently as a couple, 3 Azamara European cruises, and our most recent was a Seabourn cruise to the Caribbean on the Legend. On our European trips, we are generally itinerary-driven, but also like fine wine & food. When we stepped up to AZ from the bigger, mass-market, ships, we really liked it. But on our most recent AZ cruise we were disappointed in the food and the ship was showing its age. The Seabourn cruise this winter was fabulous in food, service, and the size of the cabins. (Itinerary didn't matter as much to us for a Caribbean cruise.) The Legend was in fine shape for its age, though I'm impressed by what Windstar has put into it.

All of this is a long preamble to my question. I've found a nice itinerary (Nice to Rome or vice-versa) in the fall on the Windstar Legend. What should we keep in mind when deciding whether to go for it or not? I'm pretty happy to give up formal nights--AZ doesn't have them and I didn't love dragging the clothes for it on the Seabourn cruise. I've heard (on the Seabourn forum, of course) that Windstar has cut staffing from the Seabourn levels. Is that true? Is there a noticeable difference? How is the food? We like fine wine and a drink now-and-then but probably not enough to get our money's worth on all-inclusive. In other words, I can deal with a bar-bill if we generate one.

One hesitation we have is the Verandah Cafe or whatever it's called. We found it to be crowded and slow, and noisy inside. And that was on an itinerary where you could eat outside. We'll be in the Mediterranean in October where outside may not be pleasant. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I know the Legend hasn't been in the fleet through an autumn sailing yet, but perhaps the other small Seabourn ship has?

Any other comments or suggestions? Thanks.

Those are all very good questions, perlgirlnj, and I'll love to see the responses. DW and I have already pretty much decided to take the plunge next year and try out Windstar. I agree with the whole thing about wanting to ditch the formal wear.

You mentioned that the Seabourn Legend had a crowded Veranda Cafe. I think I've read that Windstar has chosen to expand that venue a lot during renovations, so you may be happy with the change.

We've been on a few of the mass market big boats, and with all the nice entertainment, the glitz, and the hubbub come quite a few headaches. So I think we're going to like Windstar, and I bet you will too if you give it a shot. Totally different, and given your tastes and desires it sounds perfect. But that's based on zero first-hand experience, just a personal hunch. Sound off, Windstar loyalists! :D

I don't believe your question can be answered yet. If I am not mistaken her inaugural sailing is this week. DH and I will board for the next one on June 8th.

Edited by MICHE99

True, the Star Legend doesn't have a track record yet. But it will be a virtual clone to Star Breeze and Star Pride. The former has been in service briefly and the other (in a slightly different configuration) for a year. So if you read up on the three vessels this summer you'll get a good feel for what to expect.

As for that itinerary, I think Windstar has offered that in the past. I think Nice to Rome or vice versa would be gorgeous and fabulous in all respects. Go for it!