QM2 Transatlantic in May

Shellbackx3

My wife and I are considering the QM2 Transatlantic east bound in mid May. If you have taken that cruise, please let me know how bad the weather and seas were. Ship's motion generally does not both me, but my wife tends to have some issues with it. Is the weather generally bad on that route in May? Is the ship stabilized well enough to keep most passengers up and moving? If you are a dancer, is the ship's motion enough to keep you from enjoying dancing? We have been on other cruises in which the ship's motion kept us from dancing, and I guess east bound the seas and wind will be from astern which could increase roll. Is the weather too cool to enjoy an open balcony?

Many thanks for your help.

R

I have taken five crossings in the month of May. The weather on the Atlantic can vary considerably in any month, although in May you are unlikely to get snow:). On those five crossings we have experienced only one day and night of considerably bumpy seas. Our stateroom was rather forward and there is no doubt that, as on all ships, it would have been smoother midships.

The QM2 is a very stable ship. From my experience you shouldn't be too concerned. We have never found it too cold to use the balcony for at least short periods of time. It is more likely that heavy rain will keep you off your balcony rather than the cold. We have had some crossings when it didn't rain at all, but you never know.

Hi Shellback. I have taken several t.a. voyages. I did one on the QV two years ago in May, a smaller ship than the QM2, and it was fine. Last July on a t.a. rt NY we had rain almost everyday. The weather was horrible. My point here is that you can never predict the type of weather you will have no matter the season. The QM2 is a very stable ship and I wouldn't hesitate to sail on it at anytime. If you decide to take the trip you are considering, enjoy your voyage. It is a beautiful ocean liner. S.

Hi ShellbackX3,

Our one May transatlantic was fine. Weather misty and cool (not making deck time very appealing) but the ocean was generally smooth.

I worried about seasickness years ago, before my first QM2 voyage. Never has happened.

As a precaution, however, I suggest you book a cabin midship or to the rear (aft) and on a lower deck. There is a bit of roll in the forward locations (which I feel is a bit more disconcerting--but some people actually love this---rocks them to sleep).

You and your wife will have a great time on the Queen Mary 2. Best ship, ever (according to my experience).

Jimmybean

We did a May TA last year and the seas were pretty smooth. However, it was mostly cold and windy and the decks were closed often. (As you may be aware, the ship was designed for this route with spacious public rooms and activities to fill the day inside.)

A few years ago we crossed the first week in June, and there was one day with 30 ft swells, but the ship took them like a champ. There was motion, but it felt less bad (although different) than a rough day in the Caribbean or along the coast in a traditional cruise ship.

We enjoyed last May's crossing so much we signed up for a round trip TA this coming May.

Edited by MarkBearSF

Many thanks to all who responded. Being retired Navy, I well know that the sea is fickle, and one can have heavy weather, any sea, any anytime. But, these responses have been very helpful. Thanks again.

R

Edited by Shellbackx3