A516 Azura Norwegian Fjord Cruise - 4th July 2015

NewCruizer2015

Hello Everyone,

Can't quite believe that there isn't a Thread for this cruise yet! This will be my first cruise and hoping to gain some wisdom from experienced cruisers!

Has anyone ever been to Skjolden?

I want to go and see the Glaciers near the port but the P&O shore excursion is fully booked already (there's a waiting list for a chance if anyone cancels but I wot be holding my breath).

If anyone has been and successfully gone to see the Glaciers by their own organisation I'd love to hear about it.

Otherwise, what else is there to do on Skjolden?

So looking forward to this cruise.

It will be my little boys first holiday too (6months old). Can't wait!

Chris

Hi,just back from our Norwegian cruise and visited skjolden but did manage to get on a trip while onboard MOUNTAIN SCENERY which did take in views of the glacier but this was covered in snow.We didn't see any other local excursion as skjolden is a very small place but in OLDEN saw a few trips available to visit the glaciers jut as you get off the boat

Bob

We have also just come back today :-(. We did no tours and enjoyed the ports. I loved Skjolden it's really pretty. A few shops and visitor centre. You can go for a lovely walk upto a view point about 20 mins. Wear suitable footwear. You can book trips locally, llama walks from the llama farm. Boat rides and other tours. A lot cheaper than P&O. There is a lovely walk down to a lake as well. We just enjoyed the scenery and explored.

Bob, thanks for your message. I'll have to see if I can book something like MOUNTAIN SCENERY once on board. Was your cruise with P&O?

Spideygirl, it's good to know that there's lots to see around Skjolden port just in case we can't get on some sort of a glacier views tour.

Don't suppose you noticed any local tours going from Skjolden (booked locally)?

Chris

Bob, thanks for your message. I'll have to see if I can book something like MOUNTAIN SCENERY once on board. Was your cruise with P&O?

Spideygirl, it's good to know that there's lots to see around Skjolden port just in case we can't get on some sort of a glacier views tour.

Don't suppose you noticed any local tours going from Skjolden (booked locally)?

Chris

Hi, we were on the azura p&o.I did hear a lady inquiring about a trip but noticed a lot more in olden. We didn't book any trips in stravanger but with going on a Sunday found most of the shops closed.Bergen had a lot to see if you wanted to walk around

Bob

Bob,

We don't actually port in Olden.

We go to Stravanger, Skjolden, Geiranger and Bergen only.

We've booked things for Stravanger and Geiranger and plan to go to tourist info shop in Bergen to get tickets for the cable car.

Skjolden is the main issue, really want to see the glaciers but P&O tour is fully booked. From what I can gather that's the only way to go and see them? :-(

Chris

I wished we had walked up to the funicular in Bergan. It takes about an hour but through very pretty woods. Then there are lovely walks around the top. Free wifi at the top as well as in tourist office. Lovely places up top to picnic. :-)

Spideygirl,

Unfortunately I've visited both websites and had no luck with finding any kind of Glacier tour or even someway of viewing them.

There are Glacier walks but they last too long, and are no good for the 6month old baby.

Walking up the funicular at Bergen sounds like a good idea. It's something I've thought about too. Going to arrange all that once in Bergen actually at the tourist office hopefully.

:-)