Vancouver: rent a car or shuttles?

Car rental vs shuttle  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Car rental vs shuttle

• Yes rent a car
    • Take a shuttle
    • Consider UBER

we are arriving in Vancouver at noon on a Friday and embarking on our ship on Saturday. We are staying at a guest house (not downtown). I also travel with our luggage AND my mobility scooter. I was thinking we might be better off renting a car at YVR and dropping it off near Canada Place vs finding shuttles that can accommodate all of our belongings.

Would this be a good option?

Where are the drop offs for the cars? Close enough to the port? (My husband can always drop me off at the pier and take the vehicle back)

Anyone who has done this?

Thanks!

Your second Q can be answered:

Depending which rental company, you may be able to drop a car right at the pier itself (i.e. all you have to do is take the elevator to get to your cruise), or you may have a drop available within a couple of blocks at a nearby hotel. Worst-case for any major company would be well under a half-mile to their closest office - and they may have a free shuttle or offer a $5 taxi credit (normally enough without traffic, but with how busy cruise mornings are and how much of a bottleneck the approach to the pier is I'd budget CAD$15 for cabfare as your worst case trip if DH drops you then returns the car.

Your Vote Q though is pointless due to local factors:

First - Uber is off the table for this season (even if the Liberals, the only party who have committed to opening up Uber etc. this year, sweep the election in May it will be very late 2017 before ridesharing services are licensed).

Second - there are no shuttles that will take you to a guesthouse. Only one local company survived the opening of the Canada Line and even they now seem to have folded (website not active, phone no longer working). Even then, they only offered pickups at airport hotels and dropoff at the pier and vice versa. There are local charter buses, limos etc. but they are all going to be much more expensive than a car rental as they are governed by legal minimum rates and a short trip to your accommodation and then from there to the pier will both be under those limits - min price therefore the hourly charge of ~$80 incl tax for each trip in a towncar or smaller, with higher minima for larger vehicles.

The only practical alternative you have is Taxi - these are fixed rate, including disabled-accessible Minivans that you could ride your scooter straight into up a ramp. Price from airport depends where your guesthouse is - there's a map on the YVR website, but it has very few streets so if you want to be accurate I'd suggest supplying the address so someone familiar with the area can confirm which Zone for you. Taxi from guesthouse to pier would be metered - rates from taxifarefinder are accurate.

Actually, now I consider it - one Limo company is allowed to charge less than legal minimum when leaving the airport, so you could also compare Aerocar (the YVR franchise holder) rates to your guesthouse. From guesthouse to pier though nobody is exempt from the regular rates, which apply across the entire region to all companies.