Heathrow or Southampton?

Katrine822

We are going to be sailing out of Southampton this summer but flying into Heathrow the day before, arriving around 11:30 am. I would like opinions whether it is best to transfer down to SH when we arrive and stay overnight or stay overnight near Heathrow and transfer down the day of the cruise? Thank you:)

Hi Katrine,

If you had longer I'd suggest you take the opportunity to spend time in central London & travel to Southampton from there on cruise day.

But with a scheduled landing at 11.30am you wouldn't be in central London 'til gone 2pm - hardly worth the effort.

For travel logistics it makes no odds whether you travel down to Southampton from Heathrow that afternoon or next morning

But like airport areas worldwide, Heathrow is pretty soulless - hotel islands in a sea parked cars. And altho you can get some good hotel rates, only a few are remotely convenient to a local pub so the hotels have you as a pretty captive audience, and their food & drink prices are high.

I'd certainly recommend that you travel that afternoon.

There's a decent selection of hotels in Southampton & their rates aren't high. Premier Inn West Quay is popular with cruisers, Holiday Inn (Herbert Walker Ave) is popular with those sailing out of City Cruise Terminal - it overlooks the berth. But there are no major negatives with any of the hotels on this link. (Useful thumbnail map at the bottom of the page)

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm

Some hotels are walkable to City Cruise Terminal, others walkable to Ocean Cruise Terminal. And none of the hotels on this link is more than a £10 taxi hop to any cruise terminal.

You'll have part of the afternoon (if you feel up to it) and / or next morning to explore Southampton's few sights of interest (Tudor House and Gardens, Medieval Merchant's House, City Bargate, city walls, SeaCity museum, the little Solent Sky aircraft museum, etc), or shop in the wide main street (Above Bar) or in the big West Quays Shopping Mall, everywhere within easy walking distance of city centre hotels.

Plenty of restaurants to suit all tastes & pockets, and plenty of pubs - many of them historic & most offering meals.

Lots of threads about Southampton hotels etc on the British Isles forum

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=233

Browse those threads - and mebbe repeat your question there, where you have a bigger audience

JB :)

Thanks JB,

We can use points to stay either near Heathrow or SH - so the cost isn't an issue. I am bringing my son (13) on his first trip across the pond and he can be cantankerous if sleep deprived. Coupled with the potential for delays, lost luggage etc... made me think Heathrow might be the most sensible option. We're also staying in London 3 days post cruise, so the night prior is potential damage mitigation in order to start (what I hope to be) a fantastic vacation. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some glaring moving piece. Thanks again :)