Sea lice on castaway cay. Is this an issue still with jellyfish?

Laurba99

We were just at Castaway Cay for two days on the members cruise and on the first stop we were stung all over by the sea lice. We could only snorkel for about an hour and then it was too painful. However two days later when we went again, no sea lice at all. They come and go randomly and in the Bahamas they can happen year round. Of 7 visits to Castaway Cay this was the first and only encounter with the lice.

FYI Sea lice are actually the microscopic larvae of jellyfish and other ocean stingers which contain the same nematocysts (stinging cells) as mommy and daddy. In many areas of the Gulf and Caribbean the primary culprit causing "sea lice" infestations is the larvae of the thimble jellyfish. These larvae, sometimes half a millimeter in length or smaller, can become trapped between the bathing suit and skin or in crevices like the armpit and compressed, causing the stinging cells to fire.

Sea lice "season" generally runs from April through August (although they may appear at any time of year) and affects most of the coastal United States, the Gulf of Mexico, the Caribbean islands, Mexico, and South America.

Edited by e2011

Oh wow. Funny you mention gambee. I

Was up in the middle of the night and I was starting to read it at 3am and I couldn't follow it. I got to the part about his dog and it was so sad and then everyone wrote about that and I never found the rest of the review to pick back up. I'll find it later. The photos were breathtaking!

Sort of randomly saw this post, but Gambee has a site and it's much easier to read his TRs there without people re-quoting whole posts full of pics and whatnot. The Disney Dream TR is there.

Oh wow. Funny you mention gambee. I

Was up in the middle of the night and I was starting to read it at 3am and I couldn't follow it. I got to the part about his dog and it was so sad and then everyone wrote about that and I never found the rest of the review to pick back up. I'll find it later. The photos were breathtaking!

Use cruisewithgambee.com, you get his posts and photos without everyone's comments

Family beach or serenity?

I would guess the family beach, and or around Pelican Plunge.

The more shallow waters around Serenity Bay are generally not a problem.

That said, it is the ocean, so here today, gone tomorrow, and whatever the ocean dictates.

Hope you have a great first DCL cruise Perditax!

ex techie

I would guess the family beach, and or around Pelican Plunge.

The more shallow waters around Serenity Bay are generally not a problem.

That said, it is the ocean, so here today, gone tomorrow, and whatever the ocean dictates.

Hope you have a great first DCL cruise Perditax!

ex techie

Thank you! Flying out tomorrow.