Venice to Rome in October tips on excursions or things to do in port?

Karen13

My husband and I are on the above cruise and are pondering whether there are any 'must do' excursions, or whether the picturesque and historic ports can just be wandered at our leisure?

The current fall of the pound against the dollar is also making the excursions even more expensive.

We have done several with Windstar in the caribbean, but there is obviously less to do independently in the Caribbean ports compared to European ones.

Thanks for any help!

For the most part we did all the ports on our own, just poking around the cute little towns. I think you'll be fine doing that. We did take the excursion into Taormina just for the transportation there.

We have done two excellent tours with a company called Sicily Life.The first time we went to the top of Mount Etna and also did some wine and olive oil tasting.

The second tour we took was the 'Godfather Tour' visiting several locations where scenes from the film were shot.

Both times,we were met at the port and returned to the ship at a time of our choosing.

If you are staying over in Rome,you may be interested in the Scavi tour.This takes you under St.Peters so you are walking on the streets where early Christians walked.You also get to see where St.Peter is actually buried.Absolutely fascinating but difficult to get on to this tour as daily numbers are strictly limited and you must book well ahead.