Viking an explanation please

Edgemere

When offered an opportunity for a Rouen Countryside and Farm visit I was told by a Viking agent I would have a choice of morning or afternoon. I chose morning so we could do the walking tour which was included at no charge in the afternoon. Upon receiving our documents it shows both tours are in the afternoon. Is there sufficient time when returning from the farm tour to venture on our own to do a walking tour of Rouen? In addition your cruise documents brochure on page 25 with regard to the Normandy Beaches Tour US mentions we can when in the cemetery "walk among its many white crosses" Why is there no mention of the Stars of David which there are fewer of but a sizable percentage of Vikings passengers are Jewish.

Dear Edgemere,

Thank you for reaching out. We apologize for any initial misunderstanding and are happy to provide an explanation as you’ve requested.

As your ship is not scheduled to arrive in Rouen until the afternoon, the Rouen Countryside and Farm Visit and Rouen Walking Tour will both begin when the ship reaches port. While, unfortunately, you will not be able to participate in both shore excursions, you are welcome to explore Rouen on your own after your elected shore excursion as the ship will be docked until about midnight.

Edgemere, we appreciate the opportunity to respond and look forward to welcoming you aboard!

Please do not hesitate to contact us directly at TellUs@vikingcruises.com with any additional questions.

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

When offered an opportunity for a Rouen Countryside and Farm visit I was told by a Viking agent I would have a choice of morning or afternoon. I chose morning so we could do the walking tour which was included at no charge in the afternoon. Upon receiving our documents it shows both tours are in the afternoon. Is there sufficient time when returning from the farm tour to venture on our own to do a walking tour of Rouen? In addition your cruise documents brochure on page 25 with regard to the Normandy Beaches Tour US mentions we can when in the cemetery "walk among its many white crosses" Why is there no mention of the Stars of David which there are fewer of but a sizable percentage of Vikings passengers are Jewish.

Edgemere, please don't see a slight where none is intended. I am sure Viking does not mean to insult when it mentions walking among the white crosses. According to Jewish law, the Jewish dead are to be buried in consecrated Jewish cemeteries. Therefore in the American cemeteries in Normandy, the Stars of David you see do not represent the Jewish soldiers fallen in battle, not to the same extent that the white crosses represent those of the Christian faith. In the cemetery next to Omaha Beach, for example, there are well over 9000 white crosses and "only" 149 Stars of David, and yet far more Jewish soldiers perished. They are, more likely than not, buried in Jewish cemeteries.

In any event, while visiting the Normandy Beaches, we should be honoring and remembering all the brave who perished there, of all faiths.

We just returned from a river cruise, Paris to Normandy, on Uniworld. A few suggestions, Rouen is small and one of the guides mentioned that you can walk the entire city in 30 minutes. We docked near the city center and enjoyed the afternoon on our own taking in a superb restaurant and other sites. It is easy to navigate; and a lovely city.

Regarding the American cemetery our guide said there are over 9000 markers and I think she mentioned that there were 300 Stars of David. Each marker is engraved with the name of the soldier, their hometown and their battalion. There are many whose names are unknown and the marker says "There name is known only to God". The cemetery is maintained beautifully and if you want to visit a certain gravesite do take the time to ask at the Welcoming Center.

We did not partake of the many museums relating to WWII and met a couple who said the museum in smallest city near Omaha Beach is not to be missed.

This was our 3rd river cruise and I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

I know quite well the statistics with regard to 9387 men and women buried in the American Cemetary of which markers for 149 are Stars of David. This was not the initial site where those who had lost their lives were buried and when disinterred they could if the family wished to have them repatriated to the US. Any ground a soldier fought and died for is Sacred religion is a non entity nor should it be. For your edification there is also a memorial for those 1557 men whos remains were never identified.