Teen on Divina

AEckhardt

I may have convinced my DD to join us on a western Caribbean itinerary. She will be turning 17 on the cruise. We have not sailed MSC before. Few questions:

How is the teen club? (She's been to NCL's before)

Any ship highlights I should point out to her?

We are in a Royal suite. Is the couch a sofa bed?

If it is, do they close it during the day? Is it terribly cramped? I'd consider switching to a YC2 if it is more comfortable, although I would miss the balcony.

TIA for any insight [emoji4] I look forward to a wonderful experience.

I may have convinced my DD to join us on a western Caribbean itinerary. She will be turning 17 on the cruise. We have not sailed MSC before. Few questions:

If it is, do they close it during the day? Is it terribly cramped? I'd consider switching to a YC2 if it is more comfortable, although I would miss the balcony.

Here is some info about the teens club:

Young clubs that aren't kids play

MSC doesn't treat youngsters and teens like kids. And we don't lump you together either. We give you a place of your own with fantastic supervised facilities where you can meet up and do your own thing. And we treat you like the young adults you are with a massive choice of activities to help make new friends and join them in the independent vacation you deserve.

Young Club (12-14 years old) opening hours* with Youth Team service:

• 10:00a.m-11:30a.m

• 3.00p.m-4:30p.m

• 9:00p.m-11:00p.m

Teens Club (15-17 years old) opening hours* with Teen Entertainer service:

• 11:30a.m- 1:00p.m

• 4:30p.m-6:00p.m

• 7:00p.m-12:00a.m

*Times may vary by ship or itinerary

All-New Separate Daily Activities for Young Club and Teens Club:

• Sports & tournaments, including football, basketball, dodgeball, minigolf, shuffleboard and table soccer across the fleet

• Dance contest

• Social network games

• Wii/Xbox/PS3 games and challenges

• Teenage Kicks Spa Hair and Beauty Treatments in MSC Aurea Spa (ages 13-17)

All-New Night Activities

• Radio MSC Generation with nightly video and music requests

• MSC Generation Live with Pop Star 2014, iPop Competition, Teen Movie Trivia, Boys Generation, Girls generation, Kool Karaoke, Just Dance live and more!

All-New Weekly Teens Events

• Teens White Party

• MSC Flashmob

• Hey Mr DJ!

• MSC Generation Awards teens talent show

• The Prom teens formal night

• Generation Dinner

• Generation Pool Game

• Generation Chef

• Twisted Scavenger Hunt

The freedom of their very own card

Give your child the power and pleasure of spending anywhere on board, just as they please, within limits that you decide. Purchase them a Teens Card.

• Personalized prepaid debit card for children ages 7 to 17

• Choice of prepayment options:

- $30 with bonus credit gift of $5!

- $50 with bonus credit gift of $10!

• Flyer with order form and description of all benefits provided when you board http://www.msccruisesusa.com/us_en/Special-Cruises/Cruises-For-Families.aspx

We have sailed Divina 3 times now and have just booked the Christmas sailing. We are bringing our 15 year old daughter along so she will be in the teens club as well.

We also have sailed in the Royal Suite #16008, and yes,,the sofa is a sleeper. It will be set-up for you at night, and then put away during the day. I must also point out the the Royal Suite only has one bathroom as well.

MSCDivina08-23-2014139of829_zps542774db.jpg

Edited by Mikesa1721

Wow. Thank you so much for that very quick and informative response! Generally, I scour the lines website, but I find their site very uncooperative! Lol!

That is the same room we are in, too. I'm very glad they put it back as a couch during the day, as I don't want to lose the "living room" aspect. She's generally out til 1am and sleeps till 9-10am on sea days, but up earlier for going ashore.

I do love the convenience of the teen card. Previously, I've set her up with a separate cash account. This would remove some of that hassle.

I'm sure, like other cruises, she will meet up with teens at club and then go venturing. This itinerary will be a bit more port intensive then our previous cruises. (We are big fans of overnighting in Bermuda!) so she will be with us more often.

Did you find there was anything about being in the Yacht Club your daughter did or did not like?

Thanks again-

Amy

Wow. Thank you so much for that very quick and informative response! Generally, I scour the lines website, but I find their site very uncooperative! Lol!

That is the same room we are in, too. I'm very glad they put it back as a couch during the day, as I don't want to lose the "living room" aspect. She's generally out til 1am and sleeps till 9-10am on sea days, but up earlier for going ashore.

I do love the convenience of the teen card. Previously, I've set her up with a separate cash account. This would remove some of that hassle.

I'm sure, like other cruises, she will meet up with teens at club and then go venturing. This itinerary will be a bit more port intensive then our previous cruises. (We are big fans of overnighting in Bermuda!) so she will be with us more often.

Did you find there was anything about being in the Yacht Club your daughter did or did not like?

Thanks again-

Amy

Our daughter has never sailed with us in the YC Amy, but on the last sailing we did take her on,,we never saw her,,,EVER!!! It was a chore just trying to get her to join us for dinner,,heaven forbid she is seen with her parents LOL!!

From our past experience,,the YC is more for the adults than it is for the kids. All of their activities are outside of the YC leaving the adults to enjoy the spa, and the privacy and seclusion of the One Bar and Pool area, as well as the Top Sail Lounge.

Here's a couple more pics for you:

MSCDivina08-23-2014149of829_zps2a04dfc0.jpg

MSCDivina08-23-2014119of829_zps7a638689.jpg

MSCDivina08-23-2014124of829_zpsc11369f7.jpg

MSCDivina08-23-2014117of829_zpsb43a68e2.jpg

Edited by Mikesa1721

Our daughter has never sailed with us in the YC Amy, but on the last sailing we did take her on,,we never saw her,,,EVER!!! It was a chore just trying to get her to join us for dinner,,heaven forbid she is seen with her parents LOL!!

From our past experience,,the YC is more for the adults than it is for the kids. All of their activities are outside of the YC leaving the adults to enjoy the spa, and the privacy and seclusion of the One Bar and Pool area, as well as the Top Sail Lounge.

Lol! I've also had a hard time getting her to do anything with me while at sea. The only quality time I get is while on shore and that's only because I have the money! [emoji6] (and I find cool, adventurous stuff to do!)

I'm totally ok with her leaving us to enjoy the peace and quiet in the YC area! [emoji4]

Welcome to MSC, Amy! I'm a NCL defector too. :) We don't sail Divina until December, but I'm really excited to try something new and compare the YC to the Haven. At this point I'm convinced the YC will win. Enjoy your cruise!

Alison

Thank you, Alison! You were the one who brought MSC to my attention and I couldn't be more delighted!

Welcome to MSC, Amy! I'm a NCL defector too. :) We don't sail Divina until December, but I'm really excited to try something new and compare the YC to the Haven. At this point I'm convinced the YC will win. Enjoy your cruise!

Alison

Juneau,,,when in December are you sailing???

My DD was 19 when I first took her on Divina in the YC. She is now 22 and a true believer! We have sailed Divina YC 5 times now with 6 more booked (yes, we are crazy) and she NEVER EVER wants to leave the YC! She loves the attention from our butler and staff, the quiet, the Top Sail food, the pool and hot tubs, and Le Muse. Now that she has a two year old, he, too, loves the YC...we would never ever sail any other way!

When we took our teen on a Yacht Club sailing with us - we never saw her except when we made her join us for dinner.

She even stayed onboard when we went ashore on port trips. She had a ball and would love to do YC again. AS for the cabin we had plenty of space and privacy. In our bedroom we had a walk in closet and in the lounge room she had a concealed closet next to the bathroom. We loved every minute of our YC cruise, I'm sure your family will too.

Edited by Janet&Carl

When we took our teen on a Yacht Club sailing with us - we never saw her except when we made her join us for dinner.

She even stayed onboard when we went ashore on port trips. She had a ball and would love to do YC again. AS for the cabin we had plenty of space and privacy. In our bedroom we had a walk in closet and in the lounge room she had a concealed closet next to the bathroom. We loved every minute of our YC cruise, I'm sure your family will too.

Thank you, Janet & Carl!

Were you in a YC3 or a YC2? I don't think she will mind if she doesn't have a closet, or needs to share, as I thought the Royals only had one.

Last cruise, she basically lived out of her suitcase, shoved under her bed. It frustrated me. I like every unpacked, organized, and coordinated! Were did this child come from?? We may look identical, (ok, I don't exactly look as young....) but she's a polar opposite as far as habits! Lol!

I would pick a YC2 in a heart beat.