MSC First time cruise - Many questions :-)

12kadet

We have just booked a cruise in the Mediterranean with MSC Fantasia. This is our first cruise with MSC and also our first winter cruise in the Mediterranean.

Our previous cruise experience is limited to one cruise in the Caribbean's last year with NCL Getaway. We loved the Getaway but are now giving MSC a chance.

I have the following questions... I have browsed old posts but could not find answer, so I hope you can:

1. On NCL the main dining room was closed for lunch on port days. Is that the same for MSC?

2. What about the menu for lunch. I read in another post that the menu was the same all week. Is that true?

3. We really loved the egg Benedict on NCL. I saw it on den Devina menu but do anyone know if it is also on MSC's European ships?

4. We have the Cheers package with free drinks for lunch and dinner. Will it only include regular coffee or is it possible to get espresso and cappuccino as well?

5. I can see that one of the pools are covered - Is the kid pool area covered as well or is it closed during winter sailings?

6. We are travelling with friends and we have booked 2 balcony rooms next to each other. Can we open up between the two balconies?

Thanks in advance:)

We have just booked a cruise in the Mediterranean with MSC Fantasia. This is our first cruise with MSC and also our first winter cruise in the Mediterranean.

Our previous cruise experience is limited to one cruise in the Caribbean's last year with NCL Getaway. We loved the Getaway but are now giving MSC a chance.

I have the following questions... I have browsed old posts but could not find answer, so I hope you can:

1. On NCL the main dining room was closed for lunch on port days. Is that the same for MSC?

No it's not the same. One of the MDRs will be open for lunch everyday as well as the buffet.

2. What about the menu for lunch. I read in another post that the menu was the same all week. Is that true?

No that isn't true. Bother the buffet and MDR have different menus everyday. You have 6 courses to choose from in the MDR at lunch. Some things on the buffet appear everyday but others change. The Ethnic corner is completely different everyday, the pasta will be different, the meats available different and the soup. The salad bar and take away counter (burgers and hot dogs etc are always the same)

3. We really loved the egg Benedict on NCL. I saw it on den Devina menu but do anyone know if it is also on MSC's European ships?

Yes it is available in the MDR but no idea what it is like as it is not something I eat

4. We have the Cheers package with free drinks for lunch and dinner. Will it only include regular coffee or is it possible to get espresso and cappuccino as well?

I very much doubt that will be possible. Unless they have changed it, Cheers normally only includes, water, the on tap beer, wine by the glass and some soft drinks. In any case espresso or cappucino has to be obtained from a bar. They don't serve any coffee in the MDR at lunch or dinner only at breakfast.

5. I can see that one of the pools are covered - Is the kid pool area covered as well or is it closed during winter sailings?

not sure. From memory when I was on the ship it was cold and raining the first day so they had the cover on and the non covered pools were drained. There were certainly loads of kids in the covered pool. Ut I don't recall whether there was a seperate bit for them

6. We are travelling with friends and we have booked 2 balcony rooms next to each other. Can we open up between the two balconies?

you will need to ask your cabin steward to do that for you, as you can't open it yourself.

Thanks in advance:)

I've provided answers above. Nope this helps.

Greetings. I cannot say if it is the same on all MSC cruises, but the Eggs Benedict on my MSC Divina cruise from Miami was the worst Eggs Benedict I have ever eaten :( It is also one of the things I look most forward to while on vacation, so that was sad to me. I hope it's a better experience for you. That being said, everything else ranged from good to excellent.

Enjoy your trip!