Pulpit Rock from Stavanger while your cruise ship is in port....

Have fun!

Petra

Hi, just thought I'd let you know that I'm sitting on the ferry with aching feet after making it up Pulpit Rock!

Really pleased that we've done it, everything worked, though we had to run for the 9:20 ferry this morning with about 10 crew members that were doing the climb too.

It was seriously windy up there but amazing and a little scary!

Many thanks for all your help, we are so pleased we've done it! (and not missed our ship[emoji57])

Angela [emoji4]

On a side note, I would recommend this trip to anyone visiting Stavanger on a cruise stop - it can be done and is so worth it!

Fantastic, I am soo glad that everything worked out well for you! Doesn't the hike give you a great feeling of accomplishment?😀

Hopefully more and more cruisers will give it a try.

Enjoy the rest of your vacation

Regards

Petra

I was really happy to see this thread. Thank you, Sslandgirl for starting it. We did our Norway cruise in May of this year and I really wanted to hike Pulpit Rock but at that time, most any post you saw about it was telling you that it couldn't be done. I kept going over the times on the ferry and yes, I knew it would be tight, but I wasn't sure why at that time, everyone was telling you that it couldn't be done by cruise ship.

We did end up doing it and I will be the first to admit that I'm not in tip top shape and in the over 60 crowd, so I was bucking the odds. But as others are saying here, it CAN be done. It took us about 2 hours to get up there with several stops along the way, but on the same token, we WERE hauling it and pushing more than if we had all day long and could enjoy it more leisurely. We stayed up top about 10 minutes to eat a VERY quick sandwich and take our token pictures and headed back down. I think the thing that shocked me most was that going down I expected to be much faster than it actually was. Probably because my legs started going numb about half way down. (that's MY issues...and not something that happens to most, but as I said, I COULD have been in better shape for this). With that said, we were down in about 1 hr. 45 to 50 minutes.

With all this said and done, I would recommend going if you are on the fence. It's beautiful up there and you get such a great sense of accomplishment. I knew that there is a good chance we wouldn't be back and so you live each day to the fullest and enjoy these treasures. For me, it was a one time thing and I don't need to do it again, since yes, I'm getting older by the day...hehehehe...but what an amazing experience and I am so glad we didn't listen to the naysayers that were on this board before our May trip. IF I ever did it again, I would want to do it without the ship deadlines since rushing does seem to take a little out of the experience. But no regrets and so glad we did it.

They've made drastic improvements to the trail in the past few years, and I believe the frequency of the buses has also increased.

I understand, but I was asking about it THIS YEAR. We went in May and I was still debating back and forth in April of this year and being told it can't be done. So I was just saying that I was so glad this topic was showing a more positive side now...just a few months later than when we went. It's definitely worth the trip for those interested in a great hike and beautiful scenery.

I understand, but I was asking about it THIS YEAR. We went in May and I was still debating back and forth in April of this year and being told it can't be done. So I was just saying that I was so glad this topic was showing a more positive side now...just a few months later than when we went. It's definitely worth the trip for those interested in a great hike and beautiful scenery.

Oh, okay! I was nervous, because I'd posted about it on some threads a few years ago, and at the time, it really was a tight fit. We had really wanted to do it ourselves, but the timings were extremely awkward compared to typical port schedules.

(Also as an FYI for anyone reading this in future who may have seen one of my old posts... I have done the hike since, and I was surprised to find that the estimated hiking time was quite achievable. Once of my biggest hesitations before was that the estimates from the Norwegian hiking association are extremely ambitious, so I was factoring in the usual additional time.)

• 2 months later...
I was really happy to see this thread. Thank you, Sslandgirl for starting it. We did our Norway cruise in May of this year and I really wanted to hike Pulpit Rock but at that time, most any post you saw about it was telling you that it couldn't be done. I kept going over the times on the ferry and yes, I knew it would be tight, but I wasn't sure why at that time, everyone was telling you that it couldn't be done by cruise ship.

We did end up doing it and I will be the first to admit that I'm not in tip top shape and in the over 60 crowd, so I was bucking the odds. But as others are saying here, it CAN be done. It took us about 2 hours to get up there with several stops along the way, but on the same token, we WERE hauling it and pushing more than if we had all day long and could enjoy it more leisurely. We stayed up top about 10 minutes to eat a VERY quick sandwich and take our token pictures and headed back down. I think the thing that shocked me most was that going down I expected to be much faster than it actually was. Probably because my legs started going numb about half way down. (that's MY issues...and not something that happens to most, but as I said, I COULD have been in better shape for this). With that said, we were down in about 1 hr. 45 to 50 minutes.

With all this said and done, I would recommend going if you are on the fence. It's beautiful up there and you get such a great sense of accomplishment. I knew that there is a good chance we wouldn't be back and so you live each day to the fullest and enjoy these treasures. For me, it was a one time thing and I don't need to do it again, since yes, I'm getting older by the day...hehehehe...but what an amazing experience and I am so glad we didn't listen to the naysayers that were on this board before our May trip. IF I ever did it again, I would want to do it without the ship deadlines since rushing does seem to take a little out of the experience. But no regrets and so glad we did it.

First, thank you!! I have been trying and trying to decide on this and honestly Pulpit Rock was on of reasons for wanting to go to Norway!! We have decided to give it a shot- I ran 6 marathons this past year and hope that I am fit enough for the climb. I am the first to admit that being a runner doesn't exactly make you fit. LOL I can't decide between the ship's tour or going it on our own. We are in port from 10-6. I am nervous about the later starting time so it may be crowded already? Also, it is our first time to Norway and we are not climbers, just runners... I would love anyone's thoughts about this. The ship tour is soooo expensive. $600 for the two of us. We think it would be under $75 to just take the ferry on our own, correct? Please let us know your opinion and how to plan out the schedule if you think we should cancel the excursion and do it alone! Thanks!

First, thank you!! I have been trying and trying to decide on this and honestly Pulpit Rock was on of reasons for wanting to go to Norway!! We have decided to give it a shot- I ran 6 marathons this past year and hope that I am fit enough for the climb. I am the first to admit that being a runner doesn't exactly make you fit. LOL I can't decide between the ship's tour or going it on our own. We are in port from 10-6. I am nervous about the later starting time so it may be crowded already? Also, it is our first time to Norway and we are not climbers, just runners... I would love anyone's thoughts about this. The ship tour is soooo expensive. $600 for the two of us. We think it would be under $75 to just take the ferry on our own, correct? Please let us know your opinion and how to plan out the schedule if you think we should cancel the excursion and do it alone! Thanks!

Hi there,

Congrats on your decision to hike! You won't regret it. I know you are concerned about the incredible amount the cruise line is charging. You are right, doing the hike DIY would only cost about $75 for both of you. Usually I am all for doing it on your own, but in your case, I have concerns. The first siutable ferry to Tau won't leave until 10:40, which will leave you plenty of time to find the pier, etc, but you won't be able to start the hike until 11:45. Google Tidereiser for next years departures. Boreal, the other bus company does not have their schedules out yet. Since you are in good shape you will probably be able to finish the hike in 1.5 hrs, but since you are not leaving till early afternoon you might encounter higher traffic and get slowed down. So let's say, 2 hrs up, 30 min at the top and 1hr 45 min down. The 4 pm departure is pushing it and you would be okay if you can catch this bus. The 4:30pm departure would bring you back to Stavanger at 5:50pm, which is mighty close to your 6pm ship's departure. Honestly, in your case, I would probably bite the bullet and pay more to know that we would be able to get back on time. Peace of mind will enable you to enjoy the scenery even more!

Hope this helps

Regards

Petra

• 2 years later...

So, I don't have to book tickets in advance right? I can just go to the ferry booth and book the moment I get off the cruise ship??

Can you please share the directions on how to get to the Stavanger Ferry from the cruise port? Thanks!

So, I don't have to book tickets in advance right? I can just go to the ferry booth and book the moment I get off the cruise ship??

Can you please share the directions on how to get to the Stavanger Ferry from the cruise port? Thanks!

https://goo.gl/maps/XBBYNHh3BmT2

Of if you're docked on the western quay:

https://goo.gl/maps/1MPRVwzcs4y