Epic: Rome transfer

I am pretty sure our transfer was less, but you can email me and I can send you his info. He was so awesome. We actually used him the other way from the ship to Rome and he also added in 6 hours of touring the city and seeing some non touristy things along with the transfer

How easy is it to use the train to the port?
It is easy and cheap, if you can handle your luggage (walking and possibly going up and down stairs, lifting it on and off the train), if you don't mind crowds and maybe having to travel standing up for more than an hour, and if you can get to the train station in Rome easily from your hotel.

160 euros is about normal for a private shuttle, but usually it's for the whole van, so it can be a good deal if you have 6 or 8 people. Not so much for just one couple.

I've booked mine for €162. But there are 6 of us and we don't want to share a ride. They're picking us up in a minivan from our hotel near the Spanish steps to Civitavecchia.

It would've been cheaper if we were to share a ride with 2 others.

Btw, if it were just 2 people. The cost would've been around €70.

You don't want to carry your heavy suitcases around the train stations. You'll be dealing with steep stairs, crowds, the heat (in the summer), con artists and pick pockets. Investing in a shuttle or private car service is worth it.

Edited by smartpeach

Smart peach....

Would you mind sharing the name of your company?

Many thanks for the replies. We will stick with a private transfer but hope to find a cheaper company.

The €70 is for their shared shuttle rates, I think. Their private transfer is around € 125 for 2. I'm not completely positive of their rates, but they give discounts for seniors and repeat customers.

I booked Bob's Limos: http://www.romelimousines.com . I've done a lot of research and they have one of the cheapest rates for Rome transfers. It's an American owned company so communication is not a problem.

if you don't mind crowds and maybe having to travel standing up for more than an hour, and if you can get to the train station in Rome easily from your hotel.

This does not echo my Roman train experience at all. I advance-booked two first-class seats for about 20 euros total and there were only 10 people in the entire car. It did also cost 10 euros for a cab from the hotel to the train station. A porter (an additional 5 euros) hauled our luggage from the cab, loaded it onto the train and showed us to our reserved seats. We did have to manage our own luggage in Civitavecchia and there was one flight of stairs to navigate, but it was nothing we couldn't handle. It was a short walk from the train station to the free shuttle the ship, or for a set fare of (I think) 20 euros you can hop in a cab that will take you straight to the ship. The train ride was exceptionally comfortable and the views were amazing.

We took the train as well, very easy to do if you can handle your own luggage.

We hopped on a tram to Trastevere, bought tickets there, and caught the train , couldn't have been easier, and very cheap, I think we paid about 5 euros each. The train was quiet and comfortable, although we were well out of rush hour.

We walked from the station to the port entrance (about 10-15 mins walk with cases) and got the free shuttle bus from there, but it would have been easy enough to grab a taxi.

Edited by budgiegirl40

I booked thu ground link from airport to hotel for towncar for $79

Airport to hotel is much less.....the op is asking about Rome hotel to port and his quote is about average.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've booked mine for €162. But there are 6 of us and we don't want to share a ride. They're picking us up in a minivan from our hotel near the Spanish steps to Civitavecchia.

It would've been cheaper if we were to share a ride with 2 others.

Btw, if it were just 2 people. The cost would've been around €70.

You don't want to carry your heavy suitcases around the train stations. You'll be dealing with steep stairs, crowds, the heat (in the summer), con artists and pick pockets. Investing in a shuttle or private car service is worth it.

70e from Rome hotel to port? Um...really? .... That's a bit low

Is it possible that the 70e is airport to hotel?

If you are correct and I am wrong...would you please share the name of the company that will drive 2 people from Rome hotel to port for 70 e? Thanks

70e from Rome hotel to port? Um...really? .... That's a bit low

Is it possible that the 70e is airport to hotel?

If you are correct and I am wrong...would you please share the name of the company that will drive 2 people from Rome hotel to port for 70 e? Thanks

As I've said above, €70 is for a shared shuttle for 2 people. They will pick you up from the hotel and go to other people's hotel first before going to port. I think the maximum number of people is 8 in their van. So depending on the size of your party, it could be 2 or 3 stops.

A shared shuttle is still so much better than taking the train. And if you add up the cost of taxi, train fare and porter, there isn't a big difference.

Their rates for a private car for 2 is from €125.

The company is Bob's Limos. All their rates are posted on their website: http://www.romelimousines.com/transfer-services/174/

I have a quote for 160 Euro for a transfer from our hotel in Rome to the port. Curious to see if other's have used other companies that might be less? How easy is it to use the train to the port?

Thanks!

Hello, We are on the Epic on Aug 19th out of Civitevecchia. We researched this as well and booked the fast train from Termini to Civitevecchia. We are a family of 5 and it cost us 69 Euro for 1st class. A bit more than the regular trains but a lot less than a private transfer plus you get your own (upgraded) seat and you can get your e-ticket via e-mail. :)

If you take the FrecciaBianca train that goes to Milan, the first stop is Civitavecchia. This is not the crowded regional train. It is an intercity train and the track for it is not as far away to walk to as the regional. Goes every couple of hours from Termini. You can buy ticket online at trenitalia website. Same price as crowded train but you get a seat #. If you book early you may get a first class seat for same price as second. In first class area you can put your luggage between the seats and not in the general area.

One thing, in Civi there's about 15 stairs you go down and up to get up from under track to other side.

Hello, We are on the Epic on Aug 19th out of Civitevecchia. We researched this as well and booked the fast train from Termini to Civitevecchia. We are a family of 5 and it cost us 69 Euro for 1st class. A bit more than the regular trains but a lot less than a private transfer plus you get your own (upgraded) seat and you can get your e-ticket via e-mail. :)

Sounds like you got tickets on the train I just mentioned.

One thing I am not sure of now is getting the bus to the ship. It seems that is a little different when I was last here. Do you know that part?

In Europe, tipping is not customary. Locals get really upset because tourists , especially Americans, give generous tips. They don't want the culture of tipping to take root. They would then be expected to tip year round.

In restaurants, you usually give some pocket change (€2 to €3). I heard with private transfers, you give €1 per luggage they help you carry.

I agree, tipping in Europe is not much expected especially the amounts Americans tip which is usually a lot or generous. Locals round up the bill in restaurants or taxi. I noticed on my Norway Northcape shore excursions not many people tipped the guides. The excursions were really expensive on that cruise.

On my Rome transfer to Civi we tipped far too much. The ladies I was with, I really think went overboard with tipping.