Disney Cruise: March 2018 or 2019?

mikeandkelli

We just finished what was supposed to be a "one-time" Spring Break trip to Disney World, and the kids (10 year old daugher; 7 year old son) loved it. So much so that we're considering going back, but also adding in a Disney Cruise. We want to do this during spring; pulling kids out of classes is not an option we're going to consider for this.

For next year, there are two cruise options that fit: 4 nights starting Sunday or Monday, and a 3 night cruise that starts on Thursday. I personally would prefer doing the cruise at the end, rather than the beginning of the trip...but I also wonder if a 4 night cruise wouldn't give us a better sample than a 3 night cruise. We've never been on a cruise before. I also have some heartburn about going back to Disney World next spring break; I don't want to set a precedent of going to Disney every spring break.

As I've been looking into the cruise options, I've learned that it doesn't pay to wait on DCL cruises; the price goes up, not down. (Unless you wait until the last minute in case they have excess inventory, which is unlikely for a spring break cruise.) In fact, the best deals might have already occurred when the 2018 itinerary was first announced (last October?). Which makes me wonder: does it make sense to take my time and research this for a March 2019 trip that might end up being booked this fall? Thoughts?

Personal opinion--I would not even consider a 3 night cruise, even when combined with WDW. I know others will disagree, but 2 1/2 days on board and no sea day is just not enough. As to last minute rates, there is no way to predict. There are currently last minute rates available for April 2017 and there were some March specials this year. That doesn't tell you a thing about next year.

My option would be to do a week on the ship. But then, we like the parks, we LOVE the ships. Given the ages of your kids, I'd do it in 2018.

While it is generally better to book when the dates first come out, the cost of the cruises seem to go up every year. You are probably better off booking for 2018. My first cruise was similar to what you are considering. We did a few days at WDW and then a 3 day cruise. The 3 day cruise flew by. There were parts of the ship that we never saw. I recommend doing the 4 night.

While I agree that it's more preferable to cruise at the end of the trip, I agree with moki'smoommy that a 4-day is much more preferable. When you think about it, with boarding around noon and disembarking by 9am, a three-day only gives you about 2 and 1/2 days onboard. Look at it this way. You'll be much more relaxed for you days in the parks.